I went ahead and installed Windows 10 on my HTC One M8 - Any questions?

sumanthsuresh

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
HTC one m8 windows 10 Issues

Cannot get latest build
Navigation bar cannot be hidden
Double tap to wake up phone doesn't work
And frequent freezes needing soft resets at least 5-6 soft resets
Can anybody least advise

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I just installed W10 on mine and everything seems to be working. Will this be the new norm now or will Verizon keep us from getting normal updates after this is over?

Thanks.. MG

sumanthsuresh

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
HTC one m 8 had windows 10 moved to fast updates and the phone went bad. Got a htc one m8 was still under warranty . now with windows 8 but severe phantom touches. any fixes

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I must admit that everything seems to be working very smoothly so far on the latest build. Very snappy and much more fluid and responsive. MS had stepped it's game up.

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Mine has gotten progressively worse with more freezes as I go on. (latest insider build) My Voicemail stopped the other day. No idea what to even do about that since I can't find a Verizon voicemail app in the store. Anyone know anything about that. Probably about to post a question on that. Camera is flaky and the freezes can affect anything. I have a lot of trouble going to speaker for instance. Most of the stuff works really well but there's a few nasties...

MG

robnhl

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Mine has gotten progressively worse with more freezes as I go on. (latest insider build)

Agreed that things have gotten worse the longer I've run the build. I don't see freezes but I do get random reboots. Also start screen blank/draw issues. Also sometimes apps won't start/crash. Reboot fixes all of these things but it is starting to get annoying.

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
The latest build sure fixed a lot of things. But as of today I can say that a few things are still needed to stabilize the build. When carrying the phone and using the screen to answer a call. Pressing answer doesn't always do it. Putting a call on hold is much better then the last build but it's a pain at times. Using the Bluetooth and Cortana has been a pleasure and I really have decided pretty much that this phone is better made than the newest 950 yet doesn't have that camera. I have a Canon 50D w/ a bunch of really expensive glass and I might be over the craving. Going to the Microsoft Store in the morning with my buddy who works for Microsoft so I won't promise I'll behave but tonight I'm pretty determined that I can make it with the M8. Probably never been a better made Windows phone.

MG

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Agreed that things have gotten worse the longer I've run the build. I don't see freezes but I do get random reboots. Also start screen blank/draw issues. Also sometimes apps won't start/crash. Reboot fixes all of these things but it is starting to get annoying.

The latest build sure fixed a lot of things. But as of today I can say that a few things are still needed to stabilize the build. When carrying the phone and using the screen to answer a call. Pressing answer doesn't always do it. Putting a call on hold is much better then the last build but it's a pain at times. Using the Bluetooth and Cortana has been a pleasure and I really have decided pretty much that this phone is better made than the newest 950 yet doesn't have that camera. I have a Canon 50D w/ a bunch of really expensive glass and I might be over the craving. Going to the Microsoft Store in the morning with my buddy who works for Microsoft so I won't promise I'll behave but tonight I'm pretty determined that I can make it with the M8. Probably never been a better made Windows phone.

RobNHL... what does the name signify? I shoot pictures for a local high schools hockey team with the aforementioned camera. NHL mean anything in your name?

MG

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Picked up a VZW One M8 and quickly ran the patched Preview for Developers app to get it running on T-Mobile. My next step was putting 10586.11 on it and it's fantastic. Hard to believe they fixed so much in such a short time from the builds released just a month or so ago.

Kaldaen

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I have three questions about the Win10 experience on this phone:

1. Do Cortana's location-based reminders work consistently?
  2. Are you able to reliably calibrate the compass in any maps-based app that needs it?
  3. Does the HTC Camera app still work?

The HTC M8 appears to be in the first round of phones that will get the official update, but the carriers could delay that for months. It would be nice to know what to expect if I go the Insiders' route, especially for these three concerns.

kristofpetho

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I can only answer the third one - it works, but not good. The picture you see is quite slow, pictures are snapped slowly and location info is not saved. For this alone I use the MS Camera app.

I have three questions about the Win10 experience on this phone:

1. Do Cortana's location-based reminders work consistently?
  2. Are you able to reliably calibrate the compass in any maps-based app that needs it?
  3. Does the HTC Camera app still work?

The HTC M8 appears to be in the first round of phones that will get the official update, but the carriers could delay that for months. It would be nice to know what to expect if I go the Insiders' route, especially for these three concerns.

kristofpetho

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I can only answer the third one - it works, but not good. The picture you see is quite slow, pictures are snapped slowly and location info is not saved. For this alone I use the MS Camera app.

But TBH the Microsoft Camera app is damn good. It can record 1080p 60FPS and quality is top notch, and the Camera takes really good pics, including HDR.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss