Why did HTC make this phone US only?

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
It's a shame yeah. Imported one through eBay and so far everybody is complimenting me on how beautiful it looks. (Netherlands)

I hope that the M9 goes global once its released (that is, if there's a Windows variation)

chenhogi

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's a shame yeah. Imported one through eBay and so far everybody is complimenting me on how beautiful it looks. (Netherlands)

I hope that the M9 goes global once its released (that is, if there's a Windows variation)

Do you have 4G on it? From what I understand it doesn't work in Europe.

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I think the LTE bands on the Verizon version only work in America. Correct me if I'm wrong... Better chances with a T-Mobile version. Highest I can get is HSPA+ which is very decent still, but no 4G in the Netherlands

onem8wp

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
I pulled this off the ATT website for the WP version, so SIM-unlocked, you'd be good to go on 4G almost anywhere in Europe:

4G-LTE Bands 2, 3, 4, 5, 7 and 17

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I just think HTC were testing the waters with the M8. The world had the 930 and the US didn't so there was an opening to see how it was received. I would imagine that if HTC liked the feedback the M9 would be a wider release.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I don't see it happening. The M8 didn't sell that well. If it does happen, it won't be right away. Maybe after the M8 Win has been out for a year in the US, but not before then. The problem is that they have to soak test the device with an OS before it goes public. That would mean running 8.1.1 right now then flipping it to Win 10 in a few months. I bet we will see it in September with Win10 at launch...

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
What are you basing your sales numbers on? Do you work for HTC to know.

Windows 10 already runs on the M8, just check the forums so there would be no 8.1 release or carrier testing for the M9 with 10 giving a suitable gap from the M8 release. If I was to guess ( and lets be honest, we are all guessing here) a late summer / fall release would make sense if its going to happen.

DWill22

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Maybe there isn't much of a demand for high end windows phone just low end models. This phone sales had to be very poor. For one there isn't much demand for windows phone in the USA. I am surprised T-Mobile hasn't sold it cheaper as yet. They already stopped selling the M8 for Android online.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Maybe there isn't much of a demand for high end windows phone just low end models. This phone sales had to be very poor. For one there isn't much demand for windows phone in the USA. I am surprised T-Mobile hasn't sold it cheaper as yet. They already stopped selling the M8 for Android online.

Oh there is a demand but in the US, you would be hard pressed to find the windows phone variant in the carrier stores and if there is the reps will push the android variant (from what I can gather from the posters on Windows Central and friends in the US).

It is a crying shame it is limited to the US, I would have imported one :p (as Three UK use Band 3, O2 my previous provider use Band 20 so it wasn't an option) but since there is no "Country Variant", I sure as heck not going to spend good money to be tied to the whims of a carrier that doesn't supply my phone service.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon