10 Thousand and 80 ways to have a REALLY bad night (Win10 b10080 and M8)

M Segotta

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Well it's now 7:13am and I've yet to go to sleep from last night.

There I was, tinkering away, killing time, complaining there wasn't anything on the telly and so I decided, "Sure, why not install Build 10080 on my HTC-One (M8). I've loved the overall feel of W10 on my PC's and have had few if any issues I've not easily been able to overcome on my own. It's experimental software and these bugs are more like challenging riddles than jaw-dropping bugs, right? RIGHT? Why not start the update after midnight on a Tuesday morning when I've got to be up by 8? Sure, I'm not 20 anymore, but it's not like I'm 50! Well, scratch that, I actually AM nearly 50 so that wasn't the best comparison maybe.

Long story short--when the first attempt at installing the update failed, I didn't think much of it. These things happen. I just played a couple more levels of PacMan (hey, I told you I'm nearly 50!) and let it do it's own, "Second Chance" install. Everything seemed to go well this time and after a long download and install process, the screen started updating with progress bars for the "It's gonna be worth the wait" part of the upgrade.

I put down my joystick and turned off the Atari (ok, I might have made that part up), and got ready to PLAY! It's been KILLING me that the Phone preview hasn't been open to me and my M8 and I wasn't planning to waste any time getting knee-deep in new and exciting features I hadn't even imagined before now!

FINALLY....the final reboot! YAY! White screen with the HTC logo. (Wait for it!) Black screen with the blue Windows logo! (OMG I can't stand the excitement!) White screen with the AT&T logo...AND the Start Button with its "Not for Resale" disclaimer! (WOO HOO This is going to be awesome!!)

Or not.

From the white AT&T screen, the phone went black....hesitated a moment...vibrated...and then...YES....here we go! White screen, HTC logo....Black screen, Windows,, Logo....AT&T....black screen...v i b r a t e...w h i t e s c r e e n HTC...OMG it was in an endless boot cycle...and stayed there for nearly two hours before I finally threw in the towel, downloaded the Windows Phone Recovery tool and flashed the danged thing back to 8.1.

Oh, the shame of Defeat. Mikeal: ZERO Cortana: ONE.

Anyone else having this issue? Ideas?

:angry:

fitchalcyone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'd run into update boot loops when my phone got too hot. I haven't really used an M8 extensively so I'm not sure if this may be a reason. I had this issue when I was reverting a Developer Preview 1520 back to factory 8.1.

OHardy

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I didn't have the boot cycles but just finished rolling back to WP 8.1, because the screen resolution was way off & the navigation bar wasn't working like in 8.1.

OHardy

May 13, 2013
Visit site

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
At least you were able to recover. Sure the preview for mobile has been out for awhile now, but the M8 is the first non-Lumia device to get support with this build, so it may take a little more before it stabilizes.

Spencer Aronhalt

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
So.. i'm not the only one who eagerly flashed over to 10 after seeing the blog post about support finally being added for my M8 and being dissapointed to see the Start screen and bg image rendering in only 3/4 of the left half of the screen?

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
"Technical Preview" = try at your own risk, report bugs to help development, don't install on your primary device.....:wink:

KMN62

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
I've been a windows technical participant since 10/2014. The HTC One M8 is my first Windows Phone. Being an Android user for 6+ years, it was a rough start with Windows but I have since grown to love Windows and the HTC. Testing windows 10 on a laptop that isn't used as a main computer is one thing, but testing on my main Windows Phone is another. I avoided technical preview on the phone like the plague and even lived with the constant "update" notification for almost two months (I signed up the Fast Ring). Just two weeks ago, I inadvertently hit install in lieu of details. Given the lousy feedback on 10080, I started to pull out my old Motorola Razr M in preparation of moving to a droid until Windows 10 RTM. In fact, I downloaded the latest Windows Recovery tool and was seriously thinking of going back to 8.1. However, after a pretty much easy update to 10080, I decided to give it a try and run with it. After all, it didn't brick my phone and although buggy, it pretty much worked. So, with a little patience and determination, I've got the phone working almost flawlessly. It has some bugs that won't get fixed until the next update, but they are minor. 10080 has some pretty neat features and love the extra row of tiles. Anyway, the point of this thread was to convey that with a little patience, 10080 isn't bad at all. I'm looking forward to the next update. I just hope it doesn't change all the settings and personal setting that I've spent hours to make.

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Maybe once they get more stable I'll consider throwing it on my M8, but it's likely safer to just wait for good old Verizon to push out the official update. You go on the preview track and then you often have to roll back to get the official carrier update.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon