How to install Redstone 14356

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Back when the word was out about Redstone 2 or so, after the April very long name update came out, I changed my phone to Lumia 950 and have left it that way.

Still haven't had time to evaluate the 15215 build. Been way too busy. As it is, I gave up on the screen auto bright and leave mine on manual...

Matthew Crawford

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
I'm on 15215 and have been running pretty well. Still a bit clunky but it seems bearable. I'm still soft resetting a few times a week for much of the same problems, rotation and actually my battery seems to get inaccurate and my phone gets funky and then I will reset and my battery gauge is totally different. 🤔

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I agree Matt. 15215 seems to work pretty good. My battery has been fine; did have two random reboots on Monday. I wasn't even touching the phone at the time. Now that you mention it, I do recall seeing one of those wacky battery percent instances. But I don't recall what I was using the phone for then.
Sometimes I notice it hangs in landscape mode in texting or email, but returning to the home screen then back to the app seems to clear that. I have NOT tried the auto bright settings, as I'm so used to just leaving it on manual. I would like another option in the list to switch from auto to manual, in addition to 0-25-50-75-100.

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Just got build 15222 overnight. Remembered to switch screen brightness to auto this am. Will evaluate today. Hoping some of the clunkiness of opening / closing apps has been reduced... Still no rotation option on calculator. Rotation issues seem to be fixed with texting, calendar and email.

Matthew Crawford

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Any feedback yet Dave? I can say my phone has been very glitchy since they released this build 2 days ago. Not sure how it would affect .215 but it seems like it did.

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Had one random reboot today. Build 215 gave me 2. The apps do not seem as clunky as on 215. Screen rotation seems to work fine, or it did until this evening when Edge wouldn't rotate. Screen auto-bright is much better; it does flash bright in dark rooms/night, but not full bright and only for 1/2 second or so. I tested it by covering the IR sensor and front camera with my finger. Battery life seems good. Facebook loads a little better (always been slow since their update), market watch loaded fine, Windows Central loads fine, etc.
Literally as I am writing this, the screen auto bright just went full max. And there is a light about 20feet away that is on...so back to manual. Covering the sensor changes nothing. Rebooting changes nothing.
(edit) So it seems battery percent readings are wonky, or something is broke such that it took 25% to reboot the phone just now.

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Okay, it seems we are going in circles. My phone went back to the locked in landscape mode for texts and photos today. I already put my phone back to manual brightness, but it had a flare or two of max bright then back to the setting when I hit the power button. A reboot seems to have fixed that, at least for the moment.
Photos had a squirrel-tron today. I took a few pictures of carpenter ant damage on my fence in the morning, and of a grey tree frog tonight, but didn't open photos until 30 minutes or so later. They wouldn't show up in photos, but if I went to camera, I could see them in the little square, and could tap it to see them and cycle through them, but it would not import them even when I returned to photos. I couldn't use the Windows Phone app to pull them off either. Not sure if that's due to the glitch or to Apple screwing up the sync process yet again. The reboot also remedied this. When I opened photos, it took a minute or two, but those photos I took today got pulled in.
The reboot also showed about a 30% battery power drop afterwards.
Was too busy today repairing the fence and painting a room to do much else.

[edit] it seems build 15223 is available now.

Last edited:

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Good news. Build 15223 has not had the dreaded rotation bug. Have not seen any of the bugs I saw in 15222 so far. Yea! Except for the screen auto-bright. Just checked for the battery % drop issue; went from 62% to 53% thru a reboot.
[edit] There is one camera thing. It seems the camera doesn't rotate. To take a right-side up picture in landscape mode, you need to hold the phone with the htc and lower soft keys on the right, and the selfie camera on the left. Yeah, I know the soft keys will rotate, but the pictures show up upside down on my phone the other way.

Last edited:

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
I hadn't been getting updates since 15063 but I liked it so didn't care but finally decided to join you guys and get caught back up. 735 settings didn't work so I changed by phone setting to your 950 settings instead, thanks for the info, and immediately started getting the 15223 update.........here we go.

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
:-D Glad to help. Build 15223 is noticeably better that 15063.

Dear Microsoft, if you are monitoring this thread, thanks for NOT shutting the door on those of us using the HTC One M8. We appreciate it. I'd really like for you all to formally recognize and support the M8, but as it is seems works for most of us... Think you all could see your way to WM10 on the new HTC U11??? Thanks.

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
I am with Verizon and have been since they started. They are a bit expensive but have excellent coverage. However, they force the use of Backup Assistant Plus which doesn't work with Windows 10 and if fully installed will kill the battery in 3 hours with a battery so hot you can't hold the phone so I listed the work around during my original Windows 10 install then had to do a full reset to keep BAP at bay as much as possible. Therefore, if you are going to keep your Windows phone, I highly suggest you stay away from Verizon. I've Luved Verizon for years but have been going to change over the last year during this HTC issue but just haven't done it yet as a creature of habit which is why I'm still trying to make the HTC work. So, not advice for a good carrier but advice of one to stay away from.

Adam Skoog

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
@Wayne Weller I've had Verizon on every windows phone I've used and have never used Backup Assistant Plus. Honestly not sure what it does (guessing backs up the phone), but it certainly isn't something that is mandated by Verizon. I've always just removed it from the phone and never gave it a second thought. Your contacts are stored with your Microsoft account. The phone has a built in backup as well that is tied to your Microsoft account.

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
Nope. If you have Verizon you have BAP; it's a forced backup service though it does not work with Windows 10 (worked fine with Windows 8.1 as I used it then). But you're right, Windows users don't need it as we have Microsoft for backing up our phones automatically but I used it with W8.1 as a second backup. To find the App, check under settings/extras. However, as it's been noted throughout this string, DO NOT OPEN the BAP App. You will then have to do a phone hard reset and start over as it will start killing your battery. This has been my fight with Verizon and Microsoft for the last year as each blames the other for not being able to delete the App. BAP is the biggest background used of battery if you check your battery use by App even if you don't use it. If you have no or low BAP battery use, you've simply never fully installed the App. I'm told by Verizon and Microsoft that BAP can not be removed. I have to manually install Store updates to keep BAP from fully installing. If you know of a way to delete this App, PLEASE let me know.

Last edited:

Adam Skoog

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Don't know what to tell you. My M8 doesn't have it (I remember removing it) and I'm fairly certain I removed it from my Icon while I was using it as well. Not really sure why you can't. Anyway, we're kind of diverting from the topic anyway.

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
NO this is a very important topic for Verizon users; I would never think of leaving Verizon and highly recommend them if the BAP issue can be resolved. I assume you are on W10 probably 15063 or higher; if so, PLEASE go to settings/extras and look for Back Up Assistant Plus. On prior releases it was located under a different section. If you don't have BAP, I will call Verizon and ask how customers can have it yet the other Verizon users on this thread can't get rid of BAP and it hurts our battery life even when it's not being used because it runs in the back ground and can't be turned off under Back Ground Apps and under Apps, BAP "uninstall" is greyed out so it cannot be uninstalled. This is a major issue for use Verizon user so PLEASE check settings/extras to see if it's there just to appease my mind. THANKS

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
I just talked with Verizon Technical Support and they said ALL Verizon phones come with preinstalled BAP because that is how their phones backup to the Verizon Cloud. User can use the Option or not. They said if you don't have BAP on your phone, you mostly did not buy your phone from Verizon but instead just added Verizon service to an HTC phone you brought. If so, that is great news as I will just buy a non-Verizon HTC from Ebay and add Verizon service. So once again, PLEASE check your settings/extras to see if you have BAP there before I buy a non-Verizon HTC. THANKS....

Adam Skoog

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Your right, I checked under extra and it's there. Didn't that used to be a regular app? Guess I've never enabled it.

I don't mean that you shouldn't voice your concerns, but you are derailing the focus of the thread. Make a new one, preferably in the Verizon Carrier section of the forums since it pertains to all of Verizon. Like I said though, I've never used it, I've used the built in backup ever since Windows Phone 7 days....

The chances of them bothering to fix an app on an OS they consider dead is not likely going to be worth their time. Good luck in your quest, but the market share for Windows Mobile in so tiny they aren't going to expend the resources.

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
You are incorrect. My original response was to Matthew Crawford. Check thread above. He asked for our input on Carriers as he is looking to change his Carrier. I simply said not to go with Verizon due to the BAP issue. If Verizon didn't force BAP on us, I'd highly suggest them to Matthew Crawford but since they do, I said stay away from Verizon if Matthew Crawford plans to stay with a Windows Phone......this info seams very relevant to this threat to me?? Am I missing something?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes