How to install Redstone 14356

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up. I just downloaded 15043. No problem downloading for me. This release is so new and put out in a rush that there is no info about it on Insider Preview or the Redstone website... crazy. Anyway, Bluetooth now works and quick App launces now work. my ringtones are still messed up (available for some Apps but not others; People can't see my old 20+ ringtones.) I'll work on this release and report back with my findings. If it's a good release like 15025 was, I'm going to slow ring so I can read updates and switch to fast ring if the update is good before they auto download like the terrible 15031 did.

firstmemories

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Yep. Rebooted multiple times. I seem to be screwed. 15031 just killed me. I shouldn't have been on fast ring on my 929, as it simply will not load the new update.. On top of that, my 735 downloaded the 15043 and hung on the restart and now displayed the splash screen as a wonderful MS branded paperweight.

Matthew Crawford

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
I'm still on 15014.1000 and I have lots of problems please let me know Wayne. And thank you everyone for all of this information. If it wasn't for this forum all of our phones would have been paper weights a long time ago.

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
Firstmemories, if you only rebooted try a soft reset (hold power and volume down button until it shuts down; about 10 seconds). This won't hurt anything just cleans it up.
Mathew, even though 15014 has problems for you, I suggest you stay there until we get a better release. If you are on fast build, I suggest you click "Stop Insider Preview builds" and put your phone on the temporary hold until they put out a better new release as 15014 is way better than 15031 and the newest 15043 releases
Dave, Bluetooth works but it's very buggy; took me 10 minutes to link to each of my vehicles and for awhile didn't show as being connected to Bluetooth on the Quick App when it was but then finally showed correctly. My ringtones are there but not working correctly. Selfie camera still causes a reboot but only sometimes not each time. Some Apps open VERY slow like Insider Preview, Uber and some settings. I'm still playing with it but 15043 was only a quick fix to 15031 as that release was the worst so far.

firstmemories

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Wayne, thanks for the help but I'm stuck in purgatory. My 735 took the update and froze on the restart. I had to go to the device recovery tool to restore it. I'm loading W8 now, hoping to get it all back.

My 929, which I love, is stuck on 15031 and won't download the new update. I keep getting the error message. I think I'm going to have to go to device recovery for it, if I want to get off of 031. I guess this is what I get for being on fast ring.

I feel bad for you because I had already tried restoring the 929 a week or so ago and got the 031 build back. I wish I'd told you in our postings and it would have saved you all that time of trying it. Sorry about that.

daveb673

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
The issues with 15031 are why I went ahead and installed 15043. I figured it should at least address some issues.
What I've seen so far: Cortana text message reading is still dorked up.
Fortunately, I didn't do a full OS flush and reload, so I still have my bluetooth devices. And, bluetooth opens in settings without crashing.
I did notice I could select an app for the camera soft button to open. I don't know which version provided this option. I changed it to HTC camera, because I've noticed it does a better job than the MS camera app. Rotation lock or not works as it should. Tried it with Edge and YouTube. Already gave feedback at the hub site...
Matthew, I agree. Stay on 15014 at least for now. I had wanted to get 15025, but they dropped 15031.

firstmemories

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Alright, I've used the recovery tool to rebuild my 929.

Forum rules...do I stay one 140939 or go up to fast ring 15043? Those are my only choices. Be good to me, now, this is my primary phone.

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
14939 had bad battery issues. The 15000 series is way better on the battery. 15043 looks to use more battery than 15025 but it's ok. I wish I could have just stayed on 15025. However, 15031 & 15043 are not good at all SO DON'T go that far using the Fast Ring. I suggest you use the Slow Ring because Mathew above says Slow Ring only took him to 15014 which was a decent release. I really doubt Slow Ring will ever allow 15031 to install as Slow Ring is supposed to only allow releases that Fast Ring has tested and approved as good releases. I'd think the next Slow Ring update won't be until 15031 issues are reasonably resolved so will skip forward to a decent release once it's found.

Now for the good/bad news. I have found a somewhat cumbersome help with the BAP battery drain issue. When I did the hard reset and installed my backup, when it got to the point of reinstalling all my Apps from the App Store, I deleted BAP before it could even install. It is still noted as being on the phone, probably forced by the SIM card as a required Verizon App, as it tried to download the BAP Store App but by not allowing it to install, it fixed my battery drain issue because although I can see BAP on my battery use; it's <1 as it has no software to run it. But, I also had to put my Store Apps on manual update as it tried to update BAP on it's own as I had Store set to auto-update but I caught it in time. Thus, I now have to periodically update my Store Apps "manually" and immediately delete BAP before it can even download. It's a little bit of manual work but looks like this is a fix for now. No excess battery drain since my hard reset and I was just on the phone for an hour and BAP never started up to kill the battery (BAP use to start up during a long call and kill the battery).

firstmemories

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for this, Wayne. My HTCs are still in mothballs, as the battery issue and rebuild time sent me to the 735 and 929. Both ended up stuck on 031, so I've used device recovery on both and will try to get 15014 slow ring to load on the 735. If it does, I'll probably put it on the 929 (my regular phone) and then let the 735 go to fast ring or 043.

I love the 929, but the HTC has the great form-factor and memory expansion...although the screen is not as good. When I get myself settled with the Lumias, I'll probably try to get the HTCs up and running again.

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
If you like the Lumia and they don't have issues with BAP, I'd stay them and toss the HTC's. I've never gone with the Lumia because I don't like the plastic feel and boxy look. AT&T is now offering the Lumia 950 which I think I can get it for free by switching from Verizon; it's still plastic but is better designed so I may go with them. I'm not happy with Verizon ruining my HTC experience by forcing me to use BAP, which when I tried to use, it couldn't even backup my contacts just gave me a sync error. But, I've been with Verizon for years and have been very happy with their cell service/coverage especially over my friends bad experiences using other providers so it's hard for me to switch providers.

firstmemories

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Yep. I hate Verizon but their coverage is MUCH better than anyone else. All the "99% of people are covered" doesn't mean anything. The coverage map is what matters because you may be in the middle of the desert, with no people, but need service. Verizon has that.

I'm hoping that Verizon will take on the new Microsoft phone, if it is ever released. In the meantime, the 929 rocks for power and screen. It just needs to be a little thinner, lighter and have expandable storage.

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
Exactly.......I've only been trying to make this HTC work until Microsoft puts out a decent new phone which you'd think they eventually will just to be able to stay in the Cell Phone business. You gave me a thought; I'm going to check if I can get a refurbished Verizon unlocked Lumia 950 on Ebay. Then, if so, use that phone as my main phone leaving it on Slow Ring waiting for a new Microsoft phone and just use the HTC as my play phone as it looks like you are doing with your phones. My HTC is my only phone now so it's terrible when it isn't working like when 15031 came down. Truthfully, I've only been on the Fast Ring hoping for a fix to BAP which I thought they were getting close as I can see it now under Apps but the uninstall is grey so can't be used but I'm hoping they eventually change that so I can uninstall BAP fully. Then I, will/ would have gone back to the Slow Ring forever.

Wayne Weiler

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
Nope, no 950. Verizon doesn't support the 950 though it's rated as a great phone. The 929 is rated good except poor battery performance which the battery is the only reason I'd be leaving the HTC so guess I'm stuck with the HTC unless I switch to AT&T. Google says there is a pending lawsuit between Microsoft and Verizon as the FCC says all carriers must support all certified phones. Verizon says the 950 is not properly certified but Microsoft says it is and critics say even if it isn't certified to Verizon's wishes, it's components are all certified so Verizon should be supporting it. So, looks like it's a good phone held up by a needless fight between Verizon and Microsoft. That makes it very concerning that Verizon will even support the new Microsoft Surface Phone which is supposed to be release Q1/Q2 of 2017 so anytime now but doubt it makes it until later this year but I bet it's released before the holiday season.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon