Just Hotspot'd My Radar.

MoonlitReigns

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I called T-Mobile cust care for some reason or other and was offered 5 GB for 10 dollars more + tethering free. (mobile hotspot). I decided I would try it as there have been times I want to tether. I am making this post while using my Radar as a hotspot. My phone is appx 25 feet away from me. Is this speed normal?? Cuz I've been browsing for over two hours and I have not lost connection nor seen a slowdown. Fricken WOW.

See Image.

Seriously. Is this what I get with!?! :D

DogEarsAZ

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I was this feature ALL the time.

I'm a consultant and have to go to client sites frequently and often times different locations every few weeks. Generally their networks are locked down pretty hard, preventing me from looking at technical blogs, using IM, and the like when I face a problem.

Since I use VM's to do all of my development, I bind the host machine to the Radar and then bind the physical network to the VM. This way I'm in compliance with data moving across their network and I can go where I need to go.

As an aside, I have some servers in a data center, in Germany. Last week I tethered my Xoom tablet to the Radar while we were eating lunch, and connected to the servers via an RDP app on the tablet over the 4G. 6000 miles away and it was pretty damn smooth all things considered.

And I named my SSID "FBI Surveillance Van 24". Just to keep people on their toes :)

nodrogkam

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I use this feature almost every morning commuting to work for about 30-45 minutes on my iPad. No problems (unless i have no service on some routes). And t-mobile is still offering the promo for their 5 or 10gb plans to add on free tethering - which is great.

i'd hop on these deals before they disappear and rates go up later this year.

nodrogkam

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I called T-Mobile cust care for some reason or other and was offered 5 GB for 10 dollars more + tethering free. (mobile hotspot). I decided I would try it as there have been times I want to tether. I am making this post while using my Radar as a hotspot. My phone is appx 25 feet away from me. Is this speed normal?? Cuz I've been browsing for over two hours and I have not lost connection nor seen a slowdown. Fricken WOW.

See Image.

Seriously. Is this what I get with!?! :D

Also, the "speed" you get is just the connection speed between you and the phone. Just like any wifi router you may have at home...your connection to the router maybe 72mbps or up to 300mbps for some advanced home routers, but your actual speed is dependent on the network, your environment, signal strength, network traffic, and is of course limited by the theoretical "4G" radio on our HTC Radars, which is 14.4mbps DOWNLINK.

In SF, my actual speeds hover around 2mbps down and .75mbps up. Not nearly as fast as tethering with the new Galaxy S II, but the battery drains much slower on the Radar and the connection is stable (as you mentioned).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes