Who has ditched their titan for something else?

TitanUser

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Trying to get a feel for what people switched to, and what your experience has been like, around:

- Call Quality
- Wifi reception
- Bandwidth speeds

I only have a few days left before I have to decide to keep my Titan or return it.

Maziar.a

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I've an unlocked version of Titan
Call quality is excellent
Wifi reception is good most of the time(though sometimes,it loses few bars but quickly connects again)
Bandwidth speeds are also fine for me.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Trying to get a feel for what people switched to, and what your experience has been like, around:

- Call Quality
- Wifi reception
- Bandwidth speeds

I only have a few days left before I have to decide to keep my Titan or return it.

I ditched for Samsung Focus S. I went through three Titans in two weeks and gave up. I believe problems will eventually be resolved, but I needed to be confident in call quality. If you search on my posts un the TITAN and Focus S forums, you can follow the long sad trail of my losing battle with the TITAN. (Ignore the Trophy posts, as they are irrelevant to your current question).

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I had issues with call quality and bandwidth all relating to serious death-grip syndrome. The returns dept confirmed the death-grip and were nice enough to give me a refund.

Switched to a Nokia Lumia 800.

tmotytn

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

- Call Quality
- Wifi reception
- Bandwidth speeds

Switched last night to the Focus S...

-Call quality is night and day better on the Focus S
-Wifi seems good, but still a little early for me to be fair
-Speed seems to be on par with the Titan

-The smaller size will be an adjustment, but shouldn't take too long.
-The Focus S doesn't have the cool "panorama" setting in the camera like the Titan, but that isn't a deal breaker for me...

So far, in my opinion, the Focus S isn't the step backward or down that some may think it is...more of a slide sideways (just with a smaller screen)

**I unlocked the S and loaded up the same Homebrew apps I had on the Titan, AND WAS ABLE TO GET THE STEALTH TETHERING WORKING, so that is a plus for some folks...

Last edited:

Kdawg1989

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I was going to switch to a focus s but I went to the store and added a line to my account to try them both side by side and I used to focus s for a few hours and couldn't take it anymore. I don't like the smaller screen but I could deal with that. I hate the cold blue tint that you get with amoled screens but what annoyed my the most is the camera button the combination of the side unlock button and the camera button made it so that I couldn't lock/unlock the phone without hitting it unless I did unnatural moves with my hands. This drove me crazy because on unlock it would start the camera on lock it would instantly wake the screen back up. My first titan had every problem in the book but mu current replacement device is great so far knock on wood!

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

- Call Quality
- Wifi reception
- Bandwidth speeds

Call quality: Slightly improved with a new SIM but still poor. Fortunately no one has complained but when asked they say I sound muffled.

Wifi reception: Worries me the most. Sometimes I'm in the basement and I need wifi to communicate with the rest of the staff because my "4G" doesn't reach down there. Being close to the router and not establishing a connection is frustrating.

Bandwidth speeds: Not great but I'm not blaming HTC. I've gotten 4Mbps down but only in the dead of night. AT&T's network is just subpar (granted that depends where you live).

Audio pops: Not as bad with SRS off. Sometimes I don't notice but others it catches me off guard and I flinch a little. Sucks when that happens. Hoping to get some new headphones this Christmas and maybe that will make a difference.

I'm torn because all the issues combined can make for an annoying user experience. However, there are times when I pick up the phone and fall in love all over again. It's such a beautiful device.

I could take it back and wait until CES, but that's $200 bucks for "maybe" a minor improvement. What I would like to do is keep my Titan because I really want to buy my girl a Lumia 800 *if* it comes to AT&T (my Focus will become a backup phone).

My SIM change and a few people telling me I sound better has eased A LOT of my fears. Having one "solved" issue makes dealing with the other two minor ones easier to swallow.

Kdawg1989

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Call quality: Slightly improved with a new SIM but still poor. Fortunately no one has complained but when asked they say I sound muffled.

Wifi reception: Worries me the most. Sometimes I'm in the basement and I need wifi to communicate with the rest of the staff because my "4G" doesn't reach down there. Being close to the router and not establishing a connection is frustrating.

Bandwidth speeds: Not great but I'm not blaming HTC. I've gotten 4Mbps down but only in the dead of night. AT&T's network is just subpar (granted that depends where you live).

Audio pops: Not as bad with SRS off. Sometimes I don't notice but others it catches me off guard and I flinch a little. Sucks when that happens. Hoping to get some new headphones this Christmas and maybe that will make a difference.

I'm torn because all the issues combined can make for an annoying user experience. However, there are times when I pick up the phone and fall in love all over again. It's such a beautiful device.

I could take it back and wait until CES, but that's $200 bucks for "maybe" a minor improvement. What I would like to do is keep my Titan because I really want to buy my girl a Lumia 800 *if* it comes to AT&T (my Focus will become a backup phone).

My SIM change and a few people telling me I sound better has eased A LOT of my fears. Having one "solved" issue makes dealing with the other two minor ones easier to swallow.

Have you gotten a replacement device? I had these issues on my first titan but my replacement device is MUCH better the only one of these issues I still have is the network speed issues but I am confident this is ATT limiting the speed not the phone as I tested the TITAN Focus S and an HTC Vivid side by side and the titan and the focus s were about the same the the vivid was 3-4 times faster and that was not on LTE as it is not in my area.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying to get a replacement device from a store for little over one week now. One store had two in but by the time I got off work they were gone. I might have to break down and have them order a replacement. I just hate ordering replacements without knowing before hand if the new device is problem free. I know Rocket Girl has already used 3 different handsets, and I've tried two demo units to see how to they compare to mines, but they all had the same problems.

Kdawg1989

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying to get a replacement device from a store for little over one week now. One store had two in but by the time I got off work they were gone. I might have to break down and have them order a replacement. I just hate ordering replacements without knowing before hand if the new device is problem free. I know Rocket Girl has already used 3 different handsets, and I've tried two demo units to see how to they compare to mines, but they all had the same problems.
Yeah I thought I was going to have to get a 3rd device because I couldn't get this one I am currently using to stop rebooting itself every few hours but last night I did a reset on it and now it's uptime is at 16 hours which is way longer than any of them had gone before. It sucks though because as far as the replacements go I think it is just a luck thing because when I went to an ATT store a couple days ago their titan wouldn't even boot it was stuck in boot loop. You could always do like I did and go get a focus s on a new contract and use it for a few days and see what you want to do then return it if you don't like it all you will have to pay is a $35 restocking fee which for me was worth making sure I was making sure I was getting stuck in a contract with the right phone. For me that is what made it very clear what I was going to do.

klocker2

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
-The smaller size will be an adjustment, but shouldn't take too long.
-The Focus S doesn't have the cool "panorama" setting in the camera like the Titan, but that isn't a deal breaker for me...

load up Samsung's Photo Studio and you can select panorama shot from there. not as integrated as HTC but servicable

tjwheels

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
First I want to say - I really liked this phone, but...

I took mine back to my local AT&T store tonight. They told me they have had a couple of complaints about the Titan but I was the first to return one. I asked if there was an update from HTC to address the sound issue (my big problem) and they said not to their knowledge. I was ok with the upload and download speeds and only had trouble with wifi once. I did not replace mine, I put my sim card back into my Focus. I'm hoping all the issues will be taken care of with the new HTC Titan like device in February and will purchase then.

Return Process: I had ordered my Titan during the one cent sale and did not have to pay a restocking fee because I ordered online. They will credit my $18 activation fee on my next bill and paid me cash for the phone. That's right he reached into the register, grabbed a penny and handed it over. With that much money in my pocket I asked for security to walk me to my vehicle.

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

- Call Quality
- Wifi reception
- Bandwidth speeds

Call quality isn't great, but it's acceptable to me. I don't talk on the phone that much anyways and sometimes use a wired headset.

I've had no problems with wifi reception. In fact, it's been great, and I'm usually two stories removed from my router at home.

Network speeds are fairly consistent for me, but they aren't amazingly fast like they were on my HSPA+ Android phones. This is my biggest complaint with the phone, but AT&T's other Windows Phones don't seem to be any better, so what can I do if I want WP on AT&T? Live with it.

tampacoder

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
I switched back to VZ and settled with the Trophy (bought new one on eBay for $200). The smaller screen wasn't a deal breaker; but AT&T cell network was. I hated giving up the TITAN and I wish VZ had a comparable device. Hopefully they will have one by summer that is LTE capable.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3