Why no tether or hotspot?

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I would think verizon would want to sell the extra services so is it microsoft that has this locked down and if so why do you think? I would have gotten this phone if not for this.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Actually the OS does, as Samsung, Dell and I believe LG users have used a back door to enable tethering. To the best of my knowledge no one has gotten an HTC device to tether yet. So I would assume its the Carriers who don't want the feature enabled, but agree that they could create an app and monetize the feature. Don't know what's taking them so long.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
USB for sure. There was a bunch of chatter about this when phones were released last Nov/Dec. You need to change a setting which will allow you to tether when you plug in. But Zune stops working so you have to sync with Zune over WiFi. You can redirect back to Zune over USB by changing the setting again. Sort of the way Active Sync worked with WM6.5.

EJNelly

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I think this is your answer.

Update: Microsoft's Matt Bencke responded and gave more detail on the status of tethering on the Windows PHone blog (Thanks, @techSage)

"I appreciate your pain around tethering (using your device as a modem) as this has been something that I've used in the past. Tethering, in the past was something that we managed independently of the Mobile Operators (e.g. AT&T, Orange, Verizon). In recent years, the Mobile Operators have now taken ownership of this functionality x-all platforms (e.g. our competitors as well as us). We are continually working with them and our OEM partners to enable this functionality for our devices, but at this time there isn't an announcement that we've made in regards to rolling out this feature. Stay Tuned!"

Tethering still missing from Mango [Updated] | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
i would expect the app to come with mango, since all the major carriers seem to have started to crack down on the free alternatives.

drunkard

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I think it really comes down to the individual carriers policy and not whether it is technically possible for the hardware to do it. I've used the USB tethering hack with my Focus, and my carrier has policies that allow you to use your "data bucket" however you want.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I think it really comes down to the individual carriers policy and not whether it is technically possible for the hardware to do it. I've used the USB tethering hack with my Focus, and my carrier has policies that allow you to use your "data bucket" however you want.

who's your carrier? i wish more of the big carriers (especially the ones with data caps) would see data this way...

i knew about the wired tether, but verizon's offering has typically been of the wireless variety...

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
who's your carrier? i wish more of the big carriers (especially the ones with data caps) would see data this way...

i knew about the wired tether, but verizon's offering has typically been of the wireless variety...
Saw a post on Engadget today about AT&T considering some type of shared data plan. That wold be a good thing, but assume being AT&T they would probably screw it up somehow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros