The things we miss about apple and android that windows needs.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
  • Connectivity toggles
  • Notification centre
    (I'd be content with having just communication appear in here)
  • Centralised (background) download system
  • Global podcast support
    (Previous point would allow third party apps to fill this gap)
  • Ubiquitous 720p and "multitasking" support in apps
    (Fast app switching, instant resume)
  • Changing default apps
    (WP8 has a basic system for PDFs and navigation which needs to be improved and expanded)
  • Better editing interface for Office apps
    (Third party solutions, even on BB10, do it better)
  • Large overhaul of IE interface, one UI button does not cut it
  • Free turn-by-turn, whether through native Maps or through Nokia releasing Drive worldwide

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
You're right and it never crossed my mind. I've noticed that this OS (though I really love it) has some audio oddities about it.)

1. No separate ringtone/media volumes.
2. The message/email tones are present during a phone call (very weird)
3. Some experience a "stutter" of the ringtone when you answer the call.
4. Some also experience the phone altering the volume setting when powered on/off.
5. No custom message/email tones
6. Some ppl are complaining that callers can't hear them.

All of the above lets me know that there may be a general audio issue for Windows Phones. Hopefully there are nearby fixes.

2. My iPhone text/email tones are present during a call. No big deal to me.

6. That would be hardware not WP8

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
- custom sound profiles
- disable sms toast on lockscreen option
- notification center
- facebook up until the beta... beta seems to be working solid so far

those things and I'd be beyond satisfied

Akhona Ngquba

May 8, 2013
Visit site
You're right and it never crossed my mind. I've noticed that this OS (though I really love it) has some audio oddities about it.)

4. Some also experience the phone altering the volume setting when powered on/off.

All of the above lets me know that there may be a general audio issue for Windows Phones. Hopefully there are nearby fixes.

7. Your alarm does not go off when you switch off your phone at night (strange but true)
8. You need to put songs in the ringtone folder before you can use them as ringtones (yes, even if you have the song in your device you need to put it in a different folder....so one song twice)
9. The phone sometimes loses network connection.
10. There is no way of knowing that you have missed a call or received a message without pressing the phone to look (stupid)

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Swiftkey for Android, there is no better keyboard. Both iOS and Android have music and ring volume seprarte. WP8 doesn't, that's a big thing to me.

Considering MS is doing a great job of listening to users I am surprised by the separate volume thing too; that one seems like it would be very high on the list. I really thought they would update that in Portico. I am hoping in the next update.

Overall though, MS, Nokia, and external developers are really working hard to add things to WP8. The flurry of big software titles and updates is great. My 920 is still the best phone I have ever had and I'll never go back to iOS or Android.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Both iOS and Android have music and ring volume seprarte. WP8 doesn't, that's a big thing to me.

Are you saying that on WP while you are listening to music, you can't mute your ringtone? So if I want to relax with no phone calls interruptions, I have to take my SIM card out?

Damn... I'm getting bored of android (it starts to lag after a while) and I'm looking for something fresh like WP, but every day I find a thing that's a deal breaker for me...

raul_junior

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Are you saying that on WP while you are listening to music, you can't mute your ringtone? So if I want to relax with no phone calls interruptions, I have to take my SIM card out?

Damn... I'm getting bored of android (it starts to lag after a while) and I'm looking for something fresh like WP, but every day I find a thing that's a deal breaker for me...

NOOO you can do that but what he is saying is that volume for music, ringtone etc is all just one volume unlike android and ios

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
NOOO you can do that but what he is saying is that volume for music, ringtone etc is all just one volume unlike android and ios

Sorry, but I don't understand.
On android, if I'm idle, and i press volume keys, it toggles ringtone/notification volume, during call it manages call volume, if I'm in a media app (music, video) or listening to music in the BG, it changes media volume. Alarm volume is something else, I can change it in alarm app, obviously.

But the volume buttons are still just two, one up, one down, I don't understand how WP does this. Can you give me concrete examples please?

About these thingies, my view on them on Andrdoid
- apparently, we have that.

- I get a nice beep for txt/email/call, and vibrate if I don't disable it (that thing is deadly scary), and I like that.

- on android I've experienced a stutter in phone when someone called. It started vibrating, after few seconds, ringtone appeared, (all this while screen was pitch black), then callers name and buttons showed, and before I could actually press anything to answer, the caller hung up. Yes, I've experienced that on two phones, one cheap and other 2011 Sony flagship. So a minor stutter in ringtone is perfectly okay to me.

- i suppose that would bug me, but I change my volume so many times per day that I don't think I'd even notice. And I rarely turn my phone off (only silent)

- that sucks. I like to have different tone for txt and email.

hardware issue.

7. Your alarm does not go off when you switch off your phone at night (strange but true)
- nor does it on android, once you start to thing about the phone as a small computer (which it is), it makes sense. I dont know how older phones did that though. It must've eaten some battery even when off.

8. You need to put songs in the ringtone folder before you can use them as ringtones (yes, even if you have the song in your device you need to put it in a different folder....so one song twice)
- On android you can make (if not there already) a 'ringtones' folder, or you can use music app/ file browser of choice to set the ringtone. Who uses mp3 song for a ringtone anyway? Don't you get confused every time you here the song on your playlist?

9. The phone sometimes loses network connection.
- hw/ service provider issue probably... I've lost service before too, and I think my wifi is disconnecting when switching access points (router and a repeater)

10. There is no way of knowing that you have missed a call or received a message without pressing the phone to look (stupid)
- you mean no LED? It is kind of a cool feature, but again, not every android phone has it either.

Last edited:

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Just to let you know, you can listen to music and mute alerts and rings. Simply set your phone to vibrate or silent. Music will still play but only vibrate or nothing when a call or message comes in.

Call volume and phone volume are two different things on windows phone. Call volume is adjustable while in a call with the normal volume buttons and is independent of the phone's main volume.

You can set custom tones for mail and texts. You just can't set different alert tones for different people.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
These are very basic things we are talking about. Looks like audio API in wp needs to be revamped totally. And I don't think it will happen before blue because it's the update which will bring better APIs and integrated experience with Windows RT. I hope MS doesn't screw it.

passntyme

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I switched to wp8 from android. The 3 things I miss are Swiftkey, cloud print, and PDF support. I miss being able to print anything on the phone to my printer at home. I also was able to fill PDF forms out.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes