Windows finally has its Apple Mac moment, and I'm more excited about the future of laptops than ever before

bradavon

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
They said the same about the Qualcomm Snapdragon 8cx Gen 3.

It's Windows x86 emulation that's always been the problem and that's not charging with this. So I'll believe it when I see it.

And my only PC is the OG Surface Pro X so I like the platform.

BINARYGOD

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
They said the same about the Qualcomm Snapdragon 8cx Gen 3.

It's Windows x86 emulation that's always been the problem and that's not charging with this. So I'll believe it when I see it.

And my only PC is the OG Surface Pro X so I like the platform.
Given what the Apple M chip does, and is shown to do when people force other stuff to run on it, than the issues was no x86 emulation - the issue was getting something to run it fast enough, IF this snapdragon stuff is not vaporware, then that solves the issue. It doesnt reall matter, in the long run, how hard or easy the emu is, what ultimately matters is when the hardware is there to get it done.

End User

Oct 27, 2023
Visit site
If the Snapdragon X Elite platform is not officially an ARM based product (as in not licensed by ARM) which OS will it be able to run? I assume Windows 11/12 on ARM will not be available due to licensing restrictions.

ShinyProton

Aug 9, 2023
Visit site
If the Snapdragon X Elite platform is not officially an ARM based product (as in not licensed by ARM) which OS will it be able to run? I assume Windows 11/12 on ARM will not be available due to licensing restrictions.
This has already been considered since Microsoft was involved in the creation process.

ShinyProton

Aug 9, 2023
Visit site
I suggest one tempers his expectations.
The pricing is going to be the determining factor here. Anything close to the actual players will yield marginal market penetration.
And if the past is any indication, OEMs will cash-in any pricing advantage rather than offering a significantly cheaper device.
(the 8cx Gen 3 having been a patent example).

naddy69

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
"If the Snapdragon X Elite platform is not officially an ARM based product (as in not licensed by ARM)"

Of course it is an ARM CPU. As in it runs the ARM instruction set. But it is not designed by ARM. Apple's CPUs are the same. ARM CPU, but not designed by ARM.

Read the article again.

Reactions: ShinyProton

End User

Oct 27, 2023
Visit site
"If the Snapdragon X Elite platform is not officially an ARM based product (as in not licensed by ARM)"

Of course it is an ARM CPU. As in it runs the ARM instruction set. But it is not designed by ARM. Apple's CPUs are the same. ARM CPU, but not designed by ARM.

Read the article again.
Without a license from ARM it is not a legit ARM product. Custom ARM SoC also requires a license from ARM as ARM IP is being used. ARM is suing Qualcomm because it believes Qualcomm needs to purchase a new ARM license for this new Snapdragon X Elite product. Qualcomm believes it already has the required licenses because it purchased a company that already had a license agreement with ARM. The tell for me is that Qualcomm makes no mention of ARM in its product pages for the Snapdragon X Elite product. It will be messy for Qualcomm if they don't settle with ARM. Without a settlement with ARM Qualcomm is basically stealing ARM IP.

Apple needs its ARM license agreements to manufacture/sell its custom ARM SoC products. Without those agreements Apple would not have been able to produce its custom ARM SoC products.

ShinyProton

Aug 9, 2023
Visit site
What does that mean?
Since Microsoft has been involved in the Snapdragon X series development process, do you really think the license/OS issue hasn't been considered and/or discussed and/or resolved?
And considering the amount of money Qualcomm had to put into this processor, do you really think they did not make sure there is no issue at this level too?

I don't.

End User

Oct 27, 2023
Visit site
Since Microsoft has been involved in the Snapdragon X series development process, do you really think the license/OS issue hasn't been considered and/or discussed and/or resolved?
And considering the amount of money Qualcomm had to put into this processor, do you really think they did not make sure there is no issue at this level too?

I don't.
ARM, the license holder, believes that Qualcomm does not have a valid ARM license. ARM is suing Qualcomm over chip technology developed by startup Nuvia under a licensing deal with the UK firm. Arm wants Qualcomm to either pay higher royalties or stop using its proprietary technology without permission.

naddy69

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
"The tell for me is that Qualcomm makes no mention of ARM in its product pages for the Snapdragon X Elite product."

I don't see that as meaning anything. Apple makes no mention of ARM either. There is no need to. The vast majority of people have no clue what ARM is. Just like they had no idea what "Intel Inside" meant.

The Qualcomm chips WILL be released. Either the Nuvia ARM license is transferable or it is not. If not, then Qualcomm will pay ARM. Not a big deal.

End User

Oct 27, 2023
Visit site
You are correct regarding no mention of ARM on product pages.

I assume Qualcomm will have to make a deal before it ships. If not, bring on the popcorn.

bradavon

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
Given what the Apple M chip does, and is shown to do when people force other stuff to run on it, than the issues was no x86 emulation - the issue was getting something to run it fast enough, IF this snapdragon stuff is not vaporware, then that solves the issue. It doesnt reall matter, in the long run, how hard or easy the emu is, what ultimately matters is when the hardware is there to get it done.
Agreed if x86apps run well.

Which we're along way from confirming.

And I don't see Qualcomm covering. Which is suspect.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital