Qualcomm’s Snapdragon X Elite can beat Apple’s M2 Max, Intel i9 in new ARM’s race for Windows laptops

Ben Wilson

Staff member
Nov 6, 2021
Visit site
"Qualcomm Adreno GPU up to 4.6 TFLOPs, supports DX12."

The Steam Deck GPU has 1.6 TFLOPS, so maybe Valve's handheld follow-up isn't THAT far away.. they say nothing will happen until Steam Deck 2 can make a 'significant leap.' That's pretty significant.

Reactions: wojtek

ShinyProton

Aug 9, 2023
Visit site
Considering how good the 8cx Gen 3 is at running Windows 11, I'm really excited by the new Snapdragon X Elite. The performance/power ratio is going to be impressive.

Let's hope the pricing is right and that companies like Robo&Kala jump in to offer outstandingly well-priced devices - (exactly the opposite Microsoft did with the Surface 9 Pro SQ3).

Reactions: wojtek

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Considering how good the 8cx Gen 3 is at running Windows 11, I'm really excited by the new Snapdragon X Elite. The performance/power ratio is going to be impressive.

Let's hope the pricing is right and that companies like Robo&Kala jump in to offer outstandingly well-priced devices - (exactly the opposite Microsoft did with the Surface 9 Pro SQ3).
For MS pricing, keep in mind that they intentionally price high to protect their OEMs -- they are trying not to compete with them on price, lest they hurt their main partners. At least, that was the original strategy.

On the other hand, if Surface's role as innovator and design leader left with Panos, then maybe they'll target price competition going forward, but I hope not. If you want a cost effective design, go with HP, Dell, Lenovo, Samsung, Acer, Asus or one of the others. Surface models should continue to provide novel form factors and inspire the OEM's.

fjtorres5591

May 16, 2023
Visit site
"Qualcomm Adreno GPU up to 4.6 TFLOPs, supports DX12."

The Steam Deck GPU has 1.6 TFLOPS, so maybe Valve's handheld follow-up isn't THAT far away.. they say nothing will happen until Steam Deck 2 can make a 'significant leap.' That's pretty significant.
There are rumors that the next Nintendo console will be comparable to the PS4 Pro: 4TF. That fits.

The Steam Deck is more likely to go with an AMD Ryzen Z1 variant APU since Steam's business is X86.

Reactions: Daniel Rubino

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
There are rumors that the next Nintendo console will be comparable to the PS4 Pro: 4TF. That fits.

The Steam Deck is more likely to go with an AMD Ryzen Z1 variant APU since Steam's business is X86.
Yeah, I agree with that. AMD is likely to be their partner from now on, likely working hand-in-hand with Valve for some customization.

wojtek

May 2, 2023
Visit site
would be awesome. currently having first mbp with m1 and I just love the device - it's completely silent, doesn't heat up and last on the battery very long time <3

Reactions: Daniel Rubino

ShavedMonkey

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Daniel, please fact check.

Single-threaded performance had not been mentioned or presented by Qualcomm. All your articles keep on mentioning it.and making claims.

Ars, Anand all make clear mention of this.

Whilst very exciting news, this is a very important consideration missed - also a missed opportunity with the Qualcomm interview.

Happy to be corrected.

End User

Oct 27, 2023
Visit site
Qualcomm makes no mention of ARM regarding the Snapdragon X Elite in any product info I have read. This is not surprising because Qualcomm does not yet have an ARM license for the Snapdragon X Elite. How can Windows 11/12 for ARM legally run on an unlicensed SoC? ARM is currently suing Qualcomm over the lack of an ARM license for the X Elite. The X Elite is DOA unless Qualcomm gets an ARM license for it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria