Hi,

When connecting to a Windows Phone 8 access point from my Macbook Pro (2013 Retina, Mountain Lion), the WiFi connection randomly drops. This bug makes WP8 Internet Connection Sharing practically unusable. It seems to be a compatibility issue between the two.

I have verified this with multiple Retina Macbook Pros and Lumia phones. There are also many forum threads discussing the problem, e.g.:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/htc...onnection.html

The connection drop is accompanied by the error message "_handleLinkEvent: MT** Dropped Connection: reason=Frame received from nonassociated STA (7)" in the airport debug log.

I have invested some effort into trying to work around this problem but it seems to require either a driver fix in Mountain Lion, or a fix of the WP8 Internet Sharing code, so either Apple or Microsoft have to provide the fix. There is no workaround. I'm now ready to give up and switching my Lumia 925 for an iPhone if this is not fixed within the next month, but I'll still like to ask MS and Apple for a fix first.

So, I have filed a bug in the Apple developer network (no response yet) but I don't know where to post a Windows phone bug. Does anyone know the right place for this?
    09-26-2013 03:58 AM
    Hi and welcome to WPCentral.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with Internet sharing on your Macbook Pro.

I moved this thread to the Mac OS X forum, since this issue involves Mac driver issues, which is something that Apple needs to fix.
    09-27-2013 11:25 PM
    I moved this thread to the Mac OS X forum, since this issue involves Mac driver issues, which is something that Apple needs to fix.
    It's a compatibility issue, I'm pretty sure it could be fixed on either end, Mac driver or WP8 Internet Sharing. Do you happen to know where I can submit a Windows phone bug?
    09-29-2013 02:33 AM
    It's a compatibility issue, I'm pretty sure it could be fixed on either end, Mac driver or WP8 Internet Sharing. Do you happen to know where I can submit a Windows phone bug?
    You can go in Nokia settings and check "feedback to Nokia". Or tweet MS or Nokia.
    09-29-2013 02:40 AM
    You can go in Nokia settings and check "feedback to Nokia". Or tweet MS or Nokia.
    OK awesome, I'll try that!
    09-29-2013 02:49 AM
    I dont think settings on mac
    09-29-2013 02:58 AM
    Get a Windows based PC in the future even windows on mac is not 100% and you can nowadays get good ultrabooks with high resolution screens and big battery life too.
    09-29-2013 03:04 AM
    Get a Windows based PC in the future even windows on mac is not 100% and you can nowadays get good ultrabooks with high resolution screens and big battery life too.
    That's not an option for me, because I love my Retina MBP Windows phone is my favorite smartphone OS though and find the Lumia range amazing - had a Lumia 800 before, which worked with no problems at all, and now upgraded to the Lumia 925, which I think is a perfect smartphone - except this damn Internet Sharing problem. I depend on this feature a lot so it's really a dealbreaker for me. And I know this wouldn't be hard to fix for either Apple or MS... if it only would be easier to get their attention. I have submitted the bug to multiple feedback channels though so fingers crossed.
    Gergolos likes this.
    09-29-2013 06:14 AM
    Sadly I can not help, but wish you good luck with this bug! It's always a pain in the *** situation when compatibility issues accure... Both sides try to push the problem to the opposite site...
    09-29-2013 06:19 AM
    No everything compatible they are in standard connection
    09-30-2013 07:40 AM
    That's not an option for me, because I love my Retina MBP Windows phone is my favorite smartphone OS though and find the Lumia range amazing - had a Lumia 800 before, which worked with no problems at all, and now upgraded to the Lumia 925, which I think is a perfect smartphone - except this damn Internet Sharing problem. I depend on this feature a lot so it's really a dealbreaker for me. And I know this wouldn't be hard to fix for either Apple or MS... if it only would be easier to get their attention. I have submitted the bug to multiple feedback channels though so fingers crossed.
    Hello BERNHARD MUELLER, this is EXACTLY what i am facing and what i am also. I'm the purely deadly NOKIA fan and MacBOOK fan. And thus, finally having this WEIRD PROBLEM with Windows Phone. Me too still can't find any solution
    10-15-2013 09:06 AM
    Hello BERNHARD MUELLER, this is EXACTLY what i am facing and what i am also. I'm the purely deadly NOKIA fan and MacBOOK fan. And thus, finally having this WEIRD PROBLEM with Windows Phone. Me too still can't find any solution
    Hi 4lvin, I tried installing OS X Mavericks GM as well as WP 8 Update 3 Developer Preview plus "Access Point" app update in the hope of fixing the issue, however none of these updates helped. I have also not received an answer to my Apple bug report. There seems to be no workaround for the issue either except a running a shell script to permanently reconnect, which is a really crappy "solution".
    I don't think that there is a fix, or will be in the near future. The current options are buying a different laptop, a USB wireless dongle, or a different smartphone (personally I will go with the last option).
    10-19-2013 04:37 AM
    I managed to get this one working when I changed the screen lockdown to 5 minutes instead of 1 minute. After that I've had no problems with wifi sharing...
    10-21-2013 01:16 AM
    I managed to get this one working when I changed the screen lockdown to 5 minutes instead of 1 minute. After that I've had no problems with wifi sharing...
    Thanks for sharing! I just tried your fix, but it didn't fix work for me either.
    What you should do anyway is going to Settings->WiFi->Advanced and checking "Keep Wi-Fi on when the screen times out", otherwise you get disconnected after a minute. This is another common issue, but probably unrelated to the incompatibility issue.
    10-21-2013 02:28 AM
    Yeah I have that setup and screen lockdown time setup as maximum and Network stays up on my Macbook from Lumia 925 even on a moving train currently.
    10-21-2013 07:51 AM
    I have that problem too with my Lumia - MBP.,
    Now, I really give up to solve this problem.
    WOndering change my phone to iOS.., :(
    01-29-2014 07:36 PM
    I had the same issue, and worked around the problem by using Bluetooth internet sharing instead of WiFi. No more random disconnections now.
    10-25-2014 09:51 AM