Apple Enviroment vs Windows Environment

PCUser271

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Hye,

Is Apple environment (having Mac OS and iPhone) better than Windows environment (Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8) ?

I am a Windows Phone 8 user having an HTC 8X and Windows 8.1. Before this I had Android (many) and iPhone 4. I had decided to buy a Windows Phone 8 to make it companion to my Windows 8. Now, after having them for about more than a year, I cannot really feel them blended. Microsoft is too slow to develop the Windows Phone 8. I know in terms of seamless experience, apps and general experience, the Apple products is better. Of course, Windows products also have their advantages.

Then, one day, I was thinking to have a Mac mini to get started with full Apple experience. Then maybe after that going to buy iPhone 5c or perhaps 5S.

So, according to your experience who have a full Apple experience, is my changes will worth it? Or, do I need to wait for Microsoft releasing Windows Phone 8.1? Then, if I make the changes, will I miss the Windows experience such as Office products, the Skydrive integration, etc?

Thank you.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I say definitely wait for WP 8.1 and W8.1 Update 1. The Windows 8.1 update is literally all about bringing the two closer together.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I would agree to wait. Personally, to me android is ugly and a rather messy experience and iOS is bland and boring. But for many that's not the case! Windows phone 8.1 brings a ton of new features and improvements, afterwards I believe it was closer to 2015 there is an update codenamed "threshold" which streamlines the windows OS with windows phone and Xbox :)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Regardless of which Apple devices you choose, you're stuck with iTunes for desktop syncing. With Windows Phone, media is just an SD card away (except for your HTC) or mass storage mode. Apple doesn't have a native email/PIM service so you need EAS, Google or Yahoo for your contact & calendar syncing. Windows, of course, has Outlook as well as Office while Android & Apple require an Office365 subscription. Do I still look pretty?

Oh by the way, I have an Apple computer at home so don't think I'm bashing for the sheer heck of it. OSX is rock solid and stable which is where my hard-earned dollars go, but Windows does offer more flexibility.

PCUser271

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys for your opinion. I know Windows experience is better. But, really really unfortunately, in my region, Xbox music and video are not available. So frustrating. One of the reason why I decided to buy HTC 8X at that time was because iPhone was so boring. I admitted that. Btw, Android is ****, I wont go back to Android. There are lot of things Microsoft need to be done in order to keep me from going to Apple product. =)
Notification centre (I know somehow we actually don't need it), setting shortcut, region-limited things, and many minor things in Windows phone (I know you know what are those).

Maybe friends from this site who have had Apple experience can share yours? Others also may provide your idea, so that I wont go to Apple. Haha. (Btw, I actually love Windows and Windows Phone)

PCUser271

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Regardless of which Apple devices you choose, you're stuck with iTunes for desktop syncing. With Windows Phone, media is just an SD card away (except for your HTC) or mass storage mode. Apple doesn't have a native email/PIM service so you need EAS, Google or Yahoo for your contact & calendar syncing. Windows, of course, has Outlook as well as Office while Android & Apple require an Office365 subscription. Do I still look pretty?

Oh by the way, I have an Apple computer at home so don't think I'm bashing for the sheer heck of it. OSX is rock solid and stable which is where my hard-earned dollars go, but Windows does offer more flexibility.

Yeap, thanks dude. Those are what blocking me from going to Apple initially. I use a lot of email nowadays and Office so I want to stick to outlook and email app in Windows 8 is outstanding even though I know it just a basic email app. Maybe Apple guys (Tim Cook, late Steve Jobs and others) were so convincing while they were presenting their product that I actually wanted to use them. Haha. And yes, you look pretty! =D

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Hye,

Is Apple environment (having Mac OS and iPhone) better than Windows environment (Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8) ?

I am a Windows Phone 8 user having an HTC 8X and Windows 8.1. Before this I had Android (many) and iPhone 4. I had decided to buy a Windows Phone 8 to make it companion to my Windows 8. Now, after having them for about more than a year, I cannot really feel them blended. Microsoft is too slow to develop the Windows Phone 8. I know in terms of seamless experience, apps and general experience, the Apple products is better. Of course, Windows products also have their advantages.

Then, one day, I was thinking to have a Mac mini to get started with full Apple experience. Then maybe after that going to buy iPhone 5c or perhaps 5S.

So, according to your experience who have a full Apple experience, is my changes will worth it? Or, do I need to wait for Microsoft releasing Windows Phone 8.1? Then, if I make the changes, will I miss the Windows experience such as Office products, the Skydrive integration, etc?

Thank you.

I'm just wondering what 'full experience' means, when a phone vs desktop is two different devices, using two different operating systems.

usb mode on a phone means (or SHOULD mean) your files go wherever you want them to, and open however you like.

what have I missed?

PCUser271

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm just wondering what 'full experience' means, when a phone vs desktop is two different devices, using two different operating systems.

usb mode on a phone means (or SHOULD mean) your files go wherever you want them to, and open however you like.

what have I missed?

Sorry for not explaining it correctly.

To me, the full experience means is, when you have desktop AND mobile from the same company. You have Mac OS (MacBook, Mac mini) and iPhone. For Windows, you have Windows 8 PC AND Windows Phone 8 device. When you have both devices from the same company, you can have seamless experience in terms of syncing of settings, internet bookmarks, syncing things you do (best shown by Apple, continue where you left off with another device), games and apps availability, file transfer etc etc.

So my question for this thread is, which one is better in terms of full experience? Hope this explanation will do.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
well im my experience ... which isn't much because experience doesn't have much weight but I know the apple eco system works without much work BUT its way to limited and restrictive for people that used windows products for a while now. in the windows environment I find its more flexible and more widely used because you can find Microsoft products on other devices BUT it requires work to get that to work because right now msft is working to merge rt and windows phone together ( don't quote me on that I might be off) but I think when windows phone 8.1 comes out ..windows 8.1 windows 8.1 rt and windows phone 8.1 will be on the same playing field as the apple ecosystem or even surpass it... ALSO I don't want to forget the cost of the msft ecosystem to the apple ecosystem. I also find that apple is more expensive with a complete set like Iphone + ipad+ mac computer vs the windows phone + surface rt ( have to use the rt because its a competitor to the ipad instead for the surface pro) + plus a windows desktop . I hope that makes sense in a way :)

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for not explaining it correctly.

To me, the full experience means is, when you have desktop AND mobile from the same company. You have Mac OS (MacBook, Mac mini) and iPhone. For Windows, you have Windows 8 PC AND Windows Phone 8 device. When you have both devices from the same company, you can have seamless experience in terms of syncing of settings, internet bookmarks, syncing things you do (best shown by Apple, continue where you left off with another device), games and apps availability, file transfer etc etc.

So my question for this thread is, which one is better in terms of full experience? Hope this explanation will do.

the only things i've found useful in this scenario are browser bookmarks, browser passwords, contacts, evernote and email.

I use windows, osx, android (mobile and tablets), and Linux. so far the operating system in question is trivial, its the APPS that matter, and how they were designed with online sync and offline storage.

for instance smashing a phone on a rock :

get a new phone, swap over the sdcard, aaply the full system restore, press 'sync' and and the apps, purchases, contacts, calendar events, pictures, videos, maps, call logs, SMS, are all there in 10 minutes.

the apps design means more to me, and a good reason why ever note/keep being cross platform matter.

forget the hype about being a full Macintosh, windows, Linux, or BSD shop.... that hype is designed to sell you more hardware for the sake of hardware, and more idiotic subscription based services that -always- have a free, and better, alternative.

for instance, the are several ' office' alternatives that do not cost $300 a seat, or $19/ month, and actually open more document types from more versions of Microsoft's own office version. there is no benefit to using Windows for the sake of office, just like there is no benefit to running osx for the sake of iOS.

this is the browser and app era, not the 'full experience war'.

run whatever you like on each platform. and enjoy.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
the only things i've found useful in this scenario are browser bookmarks, browser passwords, contacts, evernote and email.

I use windows, osx, android (mobile and tablets), and Linux. so far the operating system in question is trivial, its the APPS that matter, and how they were designed with online sync and offline storage.

for instance smashing a phone on a rock :

get a new phone, swap over the sdcard, aaply the full system restore, press 'sync' and and the apps, purchases, contacts, calendar events, pictures, videos, maps, call logs, SMS, are all there in 10 minutes.

the apps design means more to me, and a good reason why ever note/keep being cross platform matter.

forget the hype about being a full Macintosh, windows, Linux, or BSD shop.... that hype is designed to sell you more hardware for the sake of hardware, and more idiotic subscription based services that -always- have a free, and better, alternative.

for instance, the are several ' office' alternatives that do not cost $300 a seat, or $19/ month, and actually open more document types from more versions of Microsoft's own office version. there is no benefit to using Windows for the sake of office, just like there is no benefit to running osx for the sake of iOS.

this is the browser and app era, not the 'full experience war'.

run whatever you like on each platform. and enjoy.

what phone are you smashing on a rock?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
what phone are you smashing on a rock?

so far just a couple of g1's, a couple of g2's, and a nexus. it's sad for about a minute, then you remember that it's cheaper to craigslist another phone for $100 and just use the sdcard recovery to make everything the same again. painless, really.

PCUser271

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Alright guys. If that so, I will stick to my Windows Phone. Maybe if I want to change phone, I will choose Nokia. I actually not very satisfied with my HTC 8X. The battery is horribly weak, easily hot, bad physical quality. If I grab my phone, it produce some cracking sound at volume rocker area. The only things that I happy with my phone are the Beats audio, design and screen size. By the way, thank you to all =)

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Alright guys. If that so, I will stick to my Windows Phone. Maybe if I want to change phone, I will choose Nokia. I actually not very satisfied with my HTC 8X. The battery is horribly weak, easily hot, bad physical quality. If I grab my phone, it produce some cracking sound at volume rocker area. The only things that I happy with my phone are the Beats audio, design and screen size. By the way, thank you to all =)

My 8X holds two days with light use if I turn it off over night and easily a day with heavy use including Spotify and Whatsapp. My phone doesn't get hot, except in some games I rarely play.

If your phone 's battery is "horribly weak" because you play a lot of games, good luck finding a better one.

Also, my over a year old 8X feels very solid. Maybe you had a little bad luck with yours.

(Sorry, I have to defend my little phone. But to be honest, nobody would even talk about it if any manufacturer would release current generation Windows Phone devices which aren't phablet niche.)

PCUser271

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
My 8X holds two days with light use if I turn it off over night and easily a day with heavy use including Spotify and Whatsapp. My phone doesn't get hot, except in some games I rarely play.

If your phone 's battery is "horribly weak" because you play a lot of games, good luck finding a better one.

Also, my over a year old 8X feels very solid. Maybe you had a little bad luck with yours.

(Sorry, I have to defend my little phone. But to be honest, nobody would even talk about it if any manufacturer would release current generation Windows Phone devices which aren't phablet niche.)

Really? wow, its good for you. I am not really in gaming. I don't have any game in my phone. I always use whatsapp, email, twitter app, read news on Bing News and Sports and sometimes listening to music. frankly speaking, for light use, my phone only manage to achieve to 16 hours and if heavy use such as using myTube, Rudy Huyn's 9Gag, my phone will become very hot and only able to hold about 6-8 hours. I don't know if that is normal or not. but my previous iPhone 4, it easily achieved one day with medium to heavy use.

maybe its a bad luck for me to get this phone. already use it for more than 1 year now. at the end of the day, I love this phone. I don't like big and large phone such as phablet. I hope Nokia or HTC can produce high end phone with screen size around 4.5 inches. 4-4.5 inches to me is enough. not too big, not too small. comfortable on the hand

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes