MAC: Transferring music/files from Macbook directly to SD card (without the use of iTunes)

PurelyAnecdotal

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Good day,

I'm a new Nokia 1520 user (albeit disappointed with its limitations and primitiveness in functionality despite its sleek minimalistic interface), and the question that eventually hit me, something which I'm surprised hardly anybody has raised here, is whether I can transfer music from anywhere in my Macbook directly into a folder within a SD card inserted into my Nokia 1520. I realised that neither the SD card nor the Nokia 1520 can be detected when I plug the latter into my Macbook Pro, and thus I went on to install Windows Phone Application for Mac and it allows me to sync from iTunes and only iTunes to my phone. Thing is, I don't use iTunes as much due to its limitations in format support (I have some albums of which I rip in FLAC format, and VLC is all I use to play them), and so I am looking for a way to drag and drop music files directly into the Nokia 1520's SD card without having to go through the painful and tragic process of removing it.

I am aware that OneDrive (MAC) can be used to "sync" music files that I place in it, and bluetooth is another alternative to transfer files from any place on my Mac to my Nokia 1520, but my music library is really fat in size (all the FLACs), and it is simply not viable to use either of those services to transfer my music (or any file in fact).

Hope someone kind out there can help me with this!

Thank you! :grin:

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Can you use music drop? While I do agree that Mac gets limited support from WP due to spotty mtp support, you can use that to transfer music.

There are a few thread around here for images through Iphotos or whatever it is called.

PurelyAnecdotal

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Hey,

Thanks for your response! I've just tried out the application and it does transfer music, albeit rather slowly. That is all the application does, and I'm not sure where the music went into my Nokia 1520. However, I don't have the option to select the destination folder for the uploaded file (like I mentioned in my original post - transferring files to a folder of choice within my SD card). Nonetheless, thank you for the suggestion! Seems like there isn't a way to gain access to my phone's SD card via a macbook's interface huh?

Anyone else who knows a thing or two about this? :unhappysweat:

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So a MAC doesn't had a sd card reader? Or a USB port? I have an USB reader that I plug my sd card in and then put it in the laptop. Use file explorer to transfer between sd cards. (When needed, I normally just use the built in sd reader) Oh well, always thought a MAC was top-of-the-line system. (One main reason I don't own one is cost).. I hope you find a solution...

Masterz1337

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I've just used the Windows Phone connector app. It all puts it onto my 64gb SD card fine, I've yet to try the SD card slot on my Macbook though as far as transferring files.

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
So a MAC doesn't had a sd card reader? Or a USB port? I have an USB reader that I plug my sd card in and then put it in the laptop. Use file explorer to transfer between sd cards. (When needed, I normally just use the built in sd reader) Oh well, always thought a MAC was top-of-the-line system. (One main reason I don't own one is cost).. I hope you find a solution...

That must be mighty inconvenient, ejecting out the SD card over and over.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
That must be mighty inconvenient, ejecting out the SD card over and over.

Not really, I have this SD reader that plugs into the USB port, so it becomes one drive, while the built in sd reader is the other. A simple highlight and move/copy from one to the other.

Willy Yu

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
removing sd card from phone just to transfer files is hassle, don't we have a way to copy a file or 2 to the sd on the phone via usb? like a few ebooks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon