Microsoft Band PRO coming soon or in the future?

undisputed n00b

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
For those of you that don't remember, Microsoft's smartwatch originally was being made by the Xbox team before being handed over to the Surface team and it was rumored to be made with transparent aluminum. When the Xbox One was announced, it was shown off that the Xbox One controller's guide button uses transparent aluminum which gave credibility to the rumor since it proved that the Xbox team was working with the material. The Microsoft Band announced today seems good, but it does not look good or professional or as something a person can wear anytime. Basically it doesn't look like an actual watch and it sticks out like a sore thumb on your wrist. It looks like a fitness band. How many times have you ever seen somebody wear a fitness band out in public that wasn't working out? For me its never. However I have seen people with Galaxy Gear's on the subway going home from work/school. I don't see the Microsoft Band selling well unless Microsoft advertises it extremely well, because people will think it is just another fitness band like the millions of fitness bands already out there.

I think Microsoft is going to come out with one that is more like the Moto 360 or Apple Watch that can be worn everyday and looks like a real watch. The transparent aluminum can be used to make the screen basically disappear and make the watch appear like a metal band. Perhaps that is what was shown in the TV show Agents of Shield?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The MS Band is a fitness band, not a watch. Have you not read anything about it? It has some other functionality but it's main purpose is fitness.

They're smart staying away from smart watches for the moment in my opinion.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Two guys in my department wear fitness bands all the time at work. My boss wears a Fitbit Flex and I'm not sure what the other one is. I don't think there's a social stigma attached to these things, and as N_LaRUE said, I think not making a smart watch is a really good idea right now.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I see people with fitbits on all the time and I work retail. It's not only a fitness band, but an extension to the phone as well with added features. I would consider using this out and about ALL the time because it provides me with notifications and why not know how many steps you're taking in the meantime! 2 day battery life as well.

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I have yet to see anyone with an actual smart watch. What I do see though is that the office is full of people wearing fitness bands all day long. They don't seem to have an issue wearing it to a business outfit (suit), so am not sure if the design is such a turn off especially with the added notification features.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I see people wearing them ALL the time. They're pretty much everywhere. Boardroom, casual, sporting, cultural events are all places where I've seen them. Then again, I live in the fittest state in the US according to many sources. ;-)
I wouldn't say there's any stigma. If anything, people are always asking about them if they don't have one and comparing notes if they have different ones. I'm looking to replace my Timex Ironman and wouldn't mind something like the Band. Just wish it was more waterproof.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I very rarely see people wearing watches (traditional or smart) but I see tons of people with the fitness bands.

Personally I wear a Garmin Vivofit. It displays the time 100% of the time, the batteries last a year and is 100% waterproof... I literally never take it off.

I'm pretty jacked for the MS Band. It's gonna be an adjustment for me going from 365 days of battery life down to 2, but if the notifications work well, it could be worth it.

My wife wouldn't let me pull the trigger on it just yet so I need you early adopters to post your experiences so I can live vicariously through you. I'm totally jelly....

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
For the record. I'm really annoyed this is a US only release.

I find it truly sad the MS is ignoring their other markets. My wife has been after a fitness band for some time and this would be it. Not sure what century they plan to release it internationally but by then she might be ready for another phone and it won't be a WP the way things are going.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The MS Band is a fitness band, not a watch. Have you not read anything about it? It has some other functionality but it's main purpose is fitness.

They're smart staying away from smart watches for the moment in my opinion.

I agree. I think plain smart watches is a dead category before it even achieved take-off velocity. Having something that only does what your phone does, except slightly worse and more cumbersome, is a tough sell.

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
For the record. I'm really annoyed this is a US only release.

I find it truly sad the MS is ignoring their other markets. My wife has been after a fitness band for some time and this would be it. Not sure what century they plan to release it internationally but by then she might be ready for another phone and it won't be a WP the way things are going.
I doubt they will ignore other markets, but it makes sense to release it in their home country, first.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I see people with fitbits on all the time and I work retail. It's not only a fitness band, but an extension to the phone as well with added features. I would consider using this out and about ALL the time because it provides me with notifications and why not know how many steps you're taking in the meantime! 2 day battery life as well.
I have a Fitbit Flex that I wear 24/7. And as stupid as it is, it has gotten me moving like nothing before it - I like seeing stats and the blinking lights keep me going. :) I also "compete" with a friend of mine who has one. I use my Icon though for GPS measurements sometimes out of curiosity, and if it had the SensorCore activated I'm not sure I'd need a fitness band considering I always have my phone with me. But it's definitely a lot easier and more convenient to have a dedicated product for these measurements (also with the Band the added sensors, of course).

jharr100

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Two guys in my department wear fitness bands all the time at work. My boss wears a Fitbit Flex and I'm not sure what the other one is. I don't think there's a social stigma attached to these things, and as N_LaRUE said, I think not making a smart watch is a really good idea right now.

Why do you think not making a smart watch right now is good?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I doubt they will ignore other markets, but it makes sense to release it in their home country, first.

If you can explain to me why a multi billion dollar international corporation should only release a product in one country I'll be happy because I'm at a loss to understand it. They have millions of users outside the US, with money, all waiting for a fitness device that works with their phones. why would you do this? That's not even counting non WP users who may be interested.

I await your well informed answer.

jharr100

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I agree. I think plain smart watches is a dead category before it even achieved take-off velocity. Having something that only does what your phone does, except slightly worse and more cumbersome, is a tough sell.

Until Apple releases the apple watch - then it will be too late to jump on the band wagon...whatever happened to innovation and not waiting for the market to shift - I feel like MS is always behind...this band is no different.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Why do you think not making a smart watch right now is good?

The short answer is what N_LaRUE said. The slightly expanded version is that smart watches are a crummy product. They are expensive and the battery life is awful, and in the end, they are a proxy to a device that is only as far away from you as your pocket.

People that already wear an analog watch or who refuse to wear a watch seem to be comfortable with a fitness tracking band on their wrist. I see a lot of people out there wearing various fitness trackers on their wrist, I have not yet ever seen a person wearing any sort of smart watch.

boo516

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Saturated market? Yea if you have an iPhone or Android device maybe. Windows Phone users have no alternatives except for (what?) that hack with Pebble?

Windows Phone does have no alternatives but I feel like Microsoft doesn't want to make a product they know is not gonna make a profit if it's solely tied to another product that makes no profit. Microsoft can only have so many loss leaders in their portfolio.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Until Apple releases the apple watch - then it will be too late to jump on the band wagon...whatever happened to innovation and not waiting for the market to shift - I feel like MS is always behind...this band is no different.

How can they be behind when they are first to release a product like this? There is no other product currently like it on the market. I don't understand what you mean.

I think the Apple Watch will be a moderately successful companion piece for those who have an iPhone 6 Plus, and that's due to the fitness functionality which is similar to the Microsoft Band.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3