Microsoft Band PRO coming soon or in the future?

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Band Pro? Give them a chance, they've just released the thing and it has more sensors out of the gate than the revealed but as yet unreleased Apple Watch.

It will come to other markets but they're learning first. This tweet from JoeB in the last half hour has said as much.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Band Pro? Give them a chance, they've just released the thing and it has more sensors out of the gate than the revealed but as yet unreleased Apple Watch.

It will come to other markets but they're learning first. This tweet from JoeB in the last half hour has said as much.

Yay! Another MS beta product... by the time they release it to the rest of the world, no one will care.

forked

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I have heard that there are legal issues with capturing health related data in other countries. Don't know if that's the case or not but if it is, it's a reasonable explanation for the US only release initially.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I have heard that there are legal issues with capturing health related data in other countries. Don't know if that's the case or not but if it is, it's a reasonable explanation for the US only release initially.

If that is the issue why don't they just say that? If it took a little longer to get approval, why not just wait and release it all at once?

Let's look at that tweet from Mr. Belfiore again... it's up there ^^^

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Yay! Another MS beta product... by the time they release it to the rest of the world, no one will care.

That might have carried a little weight had it not also been launched cross-platform out of the gate. That will make the difference I believe because the snooty tech media won't be able to snub the device simply because they didn't have / couldn't use a Windows Phone or get over the "low market share" argument.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
That might have carried a little weight had it not also been launched cross-platform out of the gate. That will make the difference I believe because the snooty tech media won't be able to snub the device simply because they didn't have / couldn't use a Windows Phone or get over the "low market share" argument.

They said they are testing it, not me. Having it cross platform makes it all the more confusing as far as I'm concerned.

It's either ready or it isn't. What's with the early testing nonsense?

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
You are very negative. I get you're trying to put your opinion out there, but you're working too hard to put MS down. They need to GO somewhere, they need to innovate. They're competing with Google and Apple. The watch is not irrelevant due to a saturated market because it is Better than the competition (More sensors, better battery life, breadth of features, etc.) and I will not be surprised if it does very well. As for the "either it's ready or it isn't" thing, they probably pushed to get the product out quickly. That's what companies do to compete, I don't get what the problem is. Cross platform support is NOT confusing. In fact, it makes a whole hell of a lot more sense than solo platform support because it can take the competition on directly. It is the same approach they're taking by developing apps for android and apple. Essentially, MS is thinking, "We can either compete next to them, or we can infiltrate and use their customers against them by developing for their platform." -_-

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You are very negative. I get you're trying to put your opinion out there, but you're working too hard to put MS down. They need to GO somewhere, they need to innovate. They're competing with Google and Apple. The watch is not irrelevant due to a saturated market because it is Better than the competition (More sensors, better battery life, breadth of features, etc.) and I will not be surprised if it does very well. As for the "either it's ready or it isn't" thing, they probably pushed to get the product out quickly. That's what companies do to compete, I don't get what the problem is. Cross platform support is NOT confusing. In fact, it makes a whole hell of a lot more sense than solo platform support because it can take the competition on directly. It is the same approach they're taking by developing apps for android and apple. Essentially, MS is thinking, "We can either compete next to them, or we can infiltrate and use their customers against them by developing for their platform." -_-

Yeah they're really working hard to compete in the international market...

I'm not negative I'm just waiting for someone to explain to me how MS keeps bringing out things for US only while other markets have higher uptake of WP. In the instance of this device I do not see the reason why it wasn't released internationally. If you can explain it to me I'll listen.

Releasing a product to one country is not competing in a global market last time I checked.

As for the cross platform, I agree it's needed. I'm not confused with the need, I'm confused with the lack of an international model if they already have it set up for cross platform why not internationally. If there were other issues surrounding releasing it internationally just tell us. It's makes more sense than saying, 'we're testing it here, you'll get it one day...'

That's my whole point. It makes no sense to me why a large company like MS can't do this and every other company can.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
^they haven't released it internationally because like Joe said they needed feedback (on things like usage, demand/supply, Cortana not available in all countries yet, etc). apple doesn't release stuffs at once either, they do staged roll out, several countries every few weeks. AFAIK there are very few instances where a product is released at exactly the same time world wide.
it will eventually come to your country. who knows, your version maybe improved (like Lumia Icon vs 930 [more colors]) in some way. heck at least your country doesn't have the carrier-exclusive phone BS and delayed update releases like the US do.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The stuff from the Star Trek movie with the whales? Somebody actually invented that? I missed that breakthrough.

I am not familiar with any application along the lines mentioned, but you certainly have missed something. Look up Aluminium oxynitride - it is a polycrystalline ceramic that does achieve the transparency threshold necessary to be classified as optically transparent. It is also extremely strong. You need less than half the thickness to achieve the same strength/resistance rating as a glass laminate. Of course it is also very expensive and last I heard it most efforts regarding applications are in weapons research, armor, and blast resistant window technology. Alternatively, just do a search for "transparent aluminum" and you will see discussions of other things that fall under the banner in popular reference. Aluminium oxynitride also happens to have been patented well before the fictional material made its appearance in a Star Trek movie. Again, I haven't a clue about the OP's reference and since it is of no interest to me I am not intending to look it up. Nevertheless, there really is something called transparent aluminum (actually more than one).....

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
How about we create a thread for crying about international support and you do all your whining and fit throwing there?

Good grief, this is a phenomenal device and execution looks fantastic. Cross platform implementation is genius. There is nothing that comes close to this device - nothing.

Of course it will be released in the US, first - we are the biggest market and it's Microsoft home country.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
For the record. I'm really annoyed this is a US only release.

I find it truly sad the MS is ignoring their other markets. My wife has been after a fitness band for some time and this would be it. Not sure what century they plan to release it internationally but by then she might be ready for another phone and it won't be a WP the way things are going.

I don't think they have that many. Microsoft store near me sold out at 1 pm

Flan Tamarind

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
International users! Microsoft is in this game to make MONEY. If the band crashes and burns in the US then it could easily fail globally resulting in a huge embarrassment after the lack-luster performance of windows rt. Just because other countries adopt WP doesn't mean they can also afford a smart fitness band as well.

It sucks, but business is business.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
International users! Microsoft is in this game to make MONEY. If the band crashes and burns in the US then it could easily fail globally resulting in a huge embarrassment after the lack-luster performance of windows rt. Just because other countries adopt WP doesn't mean they can also afford a smart fitness band as well.

It sucks, but business is business.

Especially since the best selling Windows Phone is the Lumia 520/530 which goes for about $110 around the world. No way are those people going to spend 2x for a fitness band.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There are several forwarding services that give you a New York address. Simply order as if you were in the US, package gets sent to service, weighed, then mailed to destination address.

0.9 lbs is very light (weight of my package), should not cost much at all relatively speaking.

While they are getting in stock, do some research on forwarding services. Some provide a small insurance fee in case you need to return product/is DOA.

FWIW They have sold out in the US already, how do you people expect an International release? lol

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Now, MS just shown that they are as good as anybody else when it comes to hardware and this amazing piece of engineering proves it.
1. Xbox One: Gorgeous and premium quality.
2. Surface Pro: A master piece, gorgeous and the best on its class, period.
3. MS' Band: The reviews talk for themselves, like the Wall Street Journal put it this is a Trojan Horse.

2015 will be a great year for WP: And the Surface and Xbox team will make the best device out there. We already have the material, clean, beautiful and light. Just imagine a WP/MP in white and/or black magnesium and N-trig pen.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...rs/320065-only-one-can-save-wp-microsoft.html
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8-1/319098-2015-will-great-wp.html

Last edited:

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
How many times have you ever seen somebody wear a fitness band out in public that wasn't working out? For me its never.
Anyone who owns a FitBit or Nike Fuel Band has it on 24/7, that's sort of the point...tracking your steps. Everyone I know with a Fitbit, which are quite a few people, wear it 24/7, so I severely disagree with your annecdotal evidence.

However I have seen people with Galaxy Gear's on the subway going home from work/school. I don't see the Microsoft Band selling well unless Microsoft advertises it extremely well, because people will think it is just another fitness band like the millions of fitness bands already out there.

Early evidence suggests it is selling very well, even without advertising.

I think Microsoft is going to come out with one that is more like the Moto 360 or Apple Watch that can be worn everyday and looks like a real watch. The transparent aluminum can be used to make the screen basically disappear and make the watch appear like a metal band. Perhaps that is what was shown in the TV show Agents of Shield?

Sure, anything is possible. Unfortunately, there is zero evidence to support this. The Microsoft Band is a reference design. Microsoft is licensing out the hardware/sensors and software (MS Health) to all companies, including Jawbone and if Fitbit wants it, them as well. The idea is MS sets the standard, but they let OEMs pick up and run with it.

Sound familar? It should as this is the same plan for the Surface.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
If you can explain to me why a multi billion dollar international corporation should only release a product in one country I'll be happy because I'm at a loss to understand it.
MS does dozens of things that don't make sense.
Perhaps they only released in the U.S. because of limited supply. They sold out at their stores in less than 24 hours. Maybe they wanted it rushed to market and the U.S. was the best choice based on unknown sales and supply quantity.
Perhaps they didn't make that many because of knee-jerk inventory losses accrued by Surface RT sales.
Perhaps they release only in the U.S. because regardless of what the rest of world thinks, the U.S. is still where the money/potential money is and where the largest tech-customer base still resides.
Perhaps they release in the U.S.-only first because international laws take a little more time to navigate compared to their home-based U.S. laws.

They may have good reasons, but I agree with you that they need to hit the entire market at the same time. The region-only sales and releases of product/services only pisses off everyone else and it makes the company look incompetent.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion