Inner rubber "pads" peeling off?

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
today, two months after buying new, mine has started to peel off the surface layers of the inner side "pieces"

just to give it context...

i would describe myself as a light user, although i wear it everyday, i do not expose it to any water, never shower in it, i even take it off when washing

it also does not undergo any sports, ie, where i would be sweating, i am just wearing it at a desk job, i look after my things, and so it doesn't get tossed around, bumped scraped etc

so, whilst it isn't very nice to see it coming off, i understand it will function perfectly, although it's clearly an oversight by Microsoft, in terms of material application, now my wrist is going eventually be pressing on cold, hard metal of some sort, rather than that rubberized finish

they are trying to get themselves off the hook, claiming its wear and tear, which ultimately it is, but imo it is over-ridingly a poor choice of materials, not enough thickness and adhesion by that material - am sure in any fair minded persons estimation, that two months for the first wearable device, from a multi-billion dollar company, that starts to come apart, is not acceptable, irregardless of the fact its only aesthetic

can you imagine if apple watch owners experienced the same materials failure, do you think those customers would settle for it, like us MS band users seemingly are?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
today, two months after buying new, mine has started to peel off the surface layers of the inner side "pieces"

just to give it context...

i would describe myself as a light user, although i wear it everyday, i do not expose it to any water, never shower in it, i even take it off when washing

it also does not undergo any sports, ie, where i would be sweating, i am just wearing it at a desk job, i look after my things, and so it doesn't get tossed around, bumped scraped etc

so, whilst it isn't very nice to see it coming off, i understand it will function perfectly, although it's clearly an oversight by Microsoft, in terms of material application, now my wrist is going eventually be pressing on cold, hard metal of some sort, rather than that rubberized finish

they are trying to get themselves off the hook, claiming its wear and tear, which ultimately it is, but imo it is over-ridingly a poor choice of materials, not enough thickness and adhesion by that material - am sure in any fair minded persons estimation, that two months for the first wearable device, from a multi-billion dollar company, that starts to come apart, is not acceptable, irregardless of the fact its only aesthetic

can you imagine if apple watch owners experienced the same materials failure, do you think those customers would settle for it, like us MS band users seemingly are?

It did the same to me in about the same amount of time. No water, I didn't swim or shower in it. It may have some sweat from running in the park but that's it. Peeling after a few months of use. after about 6 months, you see how it looked in my earlier post. Its a really good product for what it does but its made of materials that probably should not be against skin for extended periods of time. I'm happy I got to return it for replacement.
Version 2 has got to have a replaceable band.

Alexander Galvez

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Just thought I would share my experience with replacing my band due to peeling over the battery case. My band was not in bad shape, the inner pad had peeled completely off and the face had minimal scratches. I was able to walk into my local Microsoft Store and ask for a replacement with no problem. I even got a new ZAGG screen protector for free. Not sure if all MS Stores are alike, but I had no problem with replacing my band.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Just thought I would share my experience with replacing my band due to peeling over the battery case. My band was not in bad shape, the inner pad had peeled completely off and the face had minimal scratches. I was able to walk into my local Microsoft Store and ask for a replacement with no problem. I even got a new ZAGG screen protector for free. Not sure if all MS Stores are alike, but I had no problem with replacing my band.
The Microsoft stores have been really good in how they manage problems like this. My Microsoft store in at Fashion Show mall here in Las Vegas in the heart of the Las Vegas strip and it takes some real effort to get there, parking then make my way in the mall to the Microsoft Store. Mailing it was just less headache. But the stores have been very good.

Jim Fields

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
Ok with all that said, has anyone since these are the original MS band 1's found a way to DIY fix it, I doubt they will cover a band I purchased new last year that is a 4 yr old band when they are what on MS Band 3? can I unscrew them and spray them with that as seen on tv rubber spray? wire heat shrink wrap? or just toss it and go back to a jawbone up?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon