New UK Band owners and Zagg protector

soggs

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
This is a quick question to anyone who ordered their new Band in the UK through the Microsoft Store.

I just wondered what protectors everyone received? The one I got with mine is a Zagg Original wet application one. I only ask because I think the one that was supplied with the US ones were the dry application HD protectors which are slightly higher rated, although from reading up on here a bit of a pain to install properly.

Did anyone else get the same protector or are they sending out a mixture? If you did get the same one what are your thoughts on it, is it clear enough, easy to apply? I didn't get chance to set mine up last night but hoping to do it today at some point, but want to make sure the protector is decent enough.

figgyUK

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I got a wet one in the UK. Mucked it up though because I tried to peel it back gently to reposition but it had already stuck fast and rippled up when I laid it back - didn't look good so binned it.

Daniel Edwards

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I also received my band and protector yesterday and it also was a wet application. Bit fiddly to apply and I also had to re-position but although I couldn't get all the marks and bubbles out, this morning it has all settled and I have a completely clear protector so pretty happy. Still not sure how much protection it will offer though... :wink:

soggs

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, good to know I hadn't received the wrong protector. Not looking forward to applying it though from troubles it sounds like you both had!

I wonder why we got a different protector to the US though, maybe it's just a cost saving thing. Can't really complain though as it was free :)

planty

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Be interested to hear how much it scuffs up without a protector. I got one of the wet ones and its on OK, but in certain light you can see air pockets (albeit small) around the edge of the screen. It'd look nicer without but if that means it scuffs up I'll leave with the protector on.

Out of interest for those that removed the wet application one (which I got in the UK by the way) does it remove OK once dried on??

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I only had mine 10min or so and just unpacking, connecting charger, setting... it got a few minor scratches!! I managed to get the Zagg on wet and no bubble. Reading other posts it really looks like it would scratch easy and badly.

Maybe too scratched to see screen clearly. In which case, I would approach Microsoft with a 'not fit for purpose' claim.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, good to know I hadn't received the wrong protector. Not looking forward to applying it though from troubles it sounds like you both had!

I wonder why we got a different protector to the US though, maybe it's just a cost saving thing. Can't really complain though as it was free :)

They haven't shipped the Bands in the US with free screen protectors in quite some time. As for cost savings, the wet and dry application cost the same so there is no real savings. Having had both though, the wet version is the superior product. With respect to installation, in the US Best Buy will install for $8.00. As a person with a bit of a residual dexterity issue after having three cervical vertebrae fused, it was worth the cost.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I only had mine 10min or so and just unpacking, connecting charger, setting... it got a few minor scratches!! I managed to get the Zagg on wet and no bubble. Reading other posts it really looks like it would scratch easy and badly.

Maybe too scratched to see screen clearly. In which case, I would approach Microsoft with a 'not fit for purpose' claim.

I am sorry but it is not that susceptible to scratches. Did you take it out of the box with emery boards or toss it in a box of sand? I used my first for two weeks with no protector without a scratch and never once went out of my way protect it. The second has had a protector on it since day one and that has gone unmarked as well. Usage includes extensive outdoor activities and computer use (typing). If it really scratched that easily I would suggest it arrived defective and you should get it exchanged. Mostly though, and the pun is intended, I have to take this sort of thing with a serious grain of salt.

soggs

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site

I'll make sure the first thing I do is put the Zagg on!

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
The instructions are quite clear on the wet application Zagg protector and yes, the (micro) bubbles go away if you follow the instructions on application.

Quite happy with the protector and certainly with the band!

soggs

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
The instructions are quite clear on the wet application Zagg protector and yes, the (micro) bubbles go away if you follow the instructions on application.

Quite happy with the protector and certainly with the band!

I've had a quick read of the instructions and watched a video of installing the protector so hopefully I'll get it right.
Been itching to play with the band since it arrived yesterday, just need to get the kids to bed later then I can finally set it up!

drtek

May 15, 2013
Visit site

It scratches very badly. And I did not receive a protector here I the US. And it came direct from the online MS store.

Verner

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Wet application here. Took 3 goes to get it right and a couple of scratches in the process. Settled down this morning. Doesn't look too bad.
I hate applying screen protectors, I am never happy with the result and always feel the need to try again.
Saying that, I definitely get the impression the Band needs protecting.

raydwatts

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I managed to get it on at the 1st attempt, there are a few ripples along the edge but they may go away and if they don't it's fine as long as the screen itself is protected.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goergtalk