Apple to ban MS Health / MS Band apps from AppStore?

DancingDave

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi

Apple has started to ban apps from their AppStore because of mentioning competing wearables in the description. For example Apple has banned the SeaNavUS app for mentioning the Pebble Watch.

Apple wrote to the developer:

?We noticed that your app or its metadata contains irrelevant platform information in the app. Providing future platform compatibility plans, or other platform references, is not appropriate for the App Store. Specifically, your app and app description declare support for the Pebble Smartwatch.? ? Apple

So what about the Microsoft Health app? In the description it clearly mentions the Band:

"Personalize your Microsoft Band and get new features as they roll out."

Apparently it's forbidden to mention "irrelevant platform information" in the description as well as in the app itself. So how will MS continue to support the Band on iOS if they are not allowed to mention it in the app? They couldn't even write: "Sync Band" or something like that...

They might have to pull support for iOS I guess.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If Apple starts pulling apps because they're specifically targeting competing accessories, I feel they could be running in some heavy legal antistrust issues.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Google has been working on an Android Wear app for iOS, which is reportedly now in jeopardy. What gives, Apple?

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
This is the type of thing that makes me hate Apple. I'm surprised they haven't figured out a way to block head phones that aren't made by Beats.

Edit, it looks like it's just an issue with the app description mentioning a competing product. Still a below the belt move, but not as bad as it sounds. They can just change the description and get it in the store.

Last edited:

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm. It appears that in order to run on a Pebble, one must install a app on the Pebble. THAT may be where the problem is. If they simply said "works with Pebble", that's one thing. But if they give a link to the Pebble app, that's another - because now you'r using the Apple store to advertise an app for a competing product. They may have to bury that link in the user guide or perhaps say "see website".

DancingDave

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Hmmm. It appears that in order to run on a Pebble, one must install a app on the Pebble. THAT may be where the problem is. If they simply said "works with Pebble", that's one thing.

According to Apple's email that's apparently exactly what the developer did:

"Specifically, your app and app description declare support for the Pebble Smartwatch."

So "works with Pebble" is forbidden by Apple's TOC according to that Apple statement.

BTW: The developer says that he resubmitted the app and it got approved by Apple last night even though the description is still the same and still mentions support for Pebble Watch.

Edit: Sorry, the BTW-part was not correct. Not the SeaNav USA app was approved but another app that mentions the Pebble. SeaNav is still not approved by Apple.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
If Apple starts pulling apps because they're specifically targeting competing accessories, I feel they could be running in some heavy legal antistrust issues.

I have not been keeping up with Apple's app store policies, but two years ago Apple explicitly reserved the right to ban any app for any reason. A developer agrees to those terms by publishing an app.

A few apps have been removed, and Apple has so far never been taken to court over it. I suspect that would have happened by now if it was easily challenged.

daredevildan

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Pretty misleading. That's not what's going on here. If I create an app and represent it as coming from Pebble then they certainly have the right to complain. That's why we have disclaimers. I don't see anywhere that Apple is banning MS products.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
This is the type of thing that makes me hate Apple. I'm surprised they haven't figured out a way to block head phones that aren't made by Beats.
I'm sure I read something a while back about Lightning connector and how Apple could well use it for exactly that. Which also frees them from the design considerations imposed by the 3.5mm connection. Won't be long I reckon - once they're reasonably sure the backlash will be no bigger than Dock>Lightning, they'll do it.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Even with a question mark at the end, this post is nothing more than misleading click bait. Apple has not banned anything related to Band - just one app for another product that didn't meet the terms of their agreements. So people hate Apple for not having done something vis a vis Band they never said they were doing? People really need to check the paranoia at the door and try living in this world. Getting upset over speculation is just silly. BTW, it is highly unlikely Apple would ever risk their necessary relationship with Microsoft which includes patent sharing and reciprocity agreements, over something so trivial. Believe it or not, the relationship between Microsoft and Apple is stable, productive, and guided by adults. People seem to be confusing Apple with Google on this subject....

Intense Soul

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I think this is why John Chen CEO of BlackBerry stated about "App Neutrality" previously in an event.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
A part of me understands what kind of objections Apple may have about this. Let's not forget: Apple is the only one of the four major "mobile" competitors (Google, Microsoft, and yes I still count BlackBerry until they quit) whose profits are mostly driven by actual hardware products. The iPhone, iPad, and whatever small but profitable sales they still get from the iPod and Macs are their bread and butter. They look at software (iTunes, their payment system, apps) as a way to drive their consumers loyalty to their hardware. The iWatch or whatever it is has the potential to truly be another billion dollar product. Promoting a rival watch has to be something they are playing a balancing act with. Sure, they want their app store to remain the strongest so apps that support the Band and Pebble help acheive that end, but Apple sure doesn't want to cut off potential smartwatch customers to the Apple Watch, or whatever.

I would expect some strict rules from Apple on this. It is their app store and their rules, after all. In the end, I am sure the app gets listed.

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
well, let them removes it.

List of Apps that could be removed when apple do it:
Microsoft Health (for Microsoft Band), Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Lens, Lync, 365, Sway, Delve, SharePoint, Power BI), Skype, Skype Kik, OneDrive, Bing, OutLook, XBox SmartGlass (One and 360), XBox Music, Photosynth, Microsoft Tag, MSN (News, Money, Health & Fitness, Sports, Food & Drink), Dynamics (AX, CRM, NAV, Busines), Remote Desktop, and more.

Most Industries, Company, and Individual Company use Office and Dynamics.
Most people use Skype, OneDrive, Outlook.
People might still using Bing and MSN Apps.
XBox Gamer with apple product use XBox SmartGlass.

And most importantly, if they removed it, then apple's siri can't use Bing, then siri is BS now.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Consider Microsoft heavily supports the platform AND Apple Watch, I don't see anything happening. Also, Microsoft Health is a platform, different from Pebble's service. Apple Watch could very well support Microsoft Health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DancingDave

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Good news:

Pebble has now issued a press release that they reached an agreement with Apple. Developers will still be able to mention the Pebble smartwatch in the app description in the future. The SeaNav update was approved yesterday.

Also Business Insider quotes sources inside Apple that there was indeed a new rule implemented by Apple within the review process this week to block apps if they mention Pebble or other smartwatches. That rule was now lifted again.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Good news:

Pebble has now issued a press release that they reached an agreement with Apple. Developers will still be able to mention the Pebble smartwatch in the app description in the future. The SeaNav update was approved yesterday.

Also Business Insider quotes sources inside Apple that there was indeed a new rule implemented by Apple within the review process this week to block apps if they mention Pebble or other smartwatches. That rule was now lifted again.

So Big company bullied small company into paying them money. That is indeed a happy ending.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon