Fondling the Band 2 with Photos + Hot Tip

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
If you're a desk jocky, it may be easier to take it off when you work. Screen inside is how it is designed to be worn. Anatomically speaking it is easier to rotate your arm to use the Band functions

Taking it off defeats much of the purpose. Its designed to be worn either way, MS has started that already. My wrist is already flat against the desk, so looking down doesn't require my arm to move at all. I guess we just operate a bit differently. 😃

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Taking it off defeats much of the purpose. Its designed to be worn either way, MS has started that already. My wrist is already flat against the desk, so looking down doesn't require my arm to move at all. I guess we just operate a bit differently. 😃

I think you're confusing the way it "can" be worn with the way it is "designed" to be worn. Yes, it "can" be worn either way, but the intentional design is inside the wrist. Yes, everyone's arm/wrist is flat on the desk and yes a traditional watch face is made to face you. The Band, with its oblong design, with be facing down your arm if you wear it outside the wrist. But, hey, if you like it outside, go for it.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I have a couple of concerns that i whish previous band owners could answer.

1) is it difficult to read/ interact with the screen sense its oriented 90 degrees clockwise? i mean usually the numbers and the settings face you when you look at any wrist product. would it require you to tilt your arm outwards to be able to view it correctly? and why the hell is it design that way? weird.

2) i use a laptop a lot, and when typing even a normal watch sticks in my skin because its less than 1cm thick.... would this force me to remove it when using a keyboard.... its seems like my had can be lifted at least 1.5 cm above the table.

to me these are the only annoying things that i wish someone could help me digest....

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a couple of concerns that i whish previous band owners could answer.

1) is it difficult to read/ interact with the screen sense its oriented 90 degrees clockwise? i mean usually the numbers and the settings face you when you look at any wrist product. would it require you to tilt your arm outwards to be able to view it correctly? and why the hell is it design that way? weird.

2) i use a laptop a lot, and when typing even a normal watch sticks in my skin because its less than 1cm thick.... would this force me to remove it when using a keyboard.... its seems like my had can be lifted at least 1.5 cm above the table.

to me these are the only annoying things that i wish someone could help me digest....

1. You will be able to read the time, but where you may run into a slight problem will be when you start reading the info on the screen. The screen will not be oriented to you and you will be reading it sideways. Having the screen inside the wrist brings the screen into your eyesight with the proper orientation. Obviously everyone is different and you may not have any issues using it with the screen out.

2. I use a computer a lot. I have gotten used to the placement of the screen in relation to the desk and keyboard. I don't ever have to take my Band off.

I wear my Band all day, every day. It is my watch as well as my health accessory. I will admit, the photo above with the thicker clasp is sad looking, but I'm used to thick watch faces to begin with, so for me, I don't foresee any issues with it.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
1. You will be able to read the time, but where you may run into a slight problem will be when you start reading the info on the screen. The screen will not be oriented to you and you will be reading it sideways. Having the screen inside the wrist brings the screen into your eyesight with the proper orientation. Obviously everyone is different and you may not have any issues using it with the screen out.

2. I use a computer a lot. I have gotten used to the placement of the screen in relation to the desk and keyboard. I don't ever have to take my Band off.

I wear my Band all day, every day. It is my watch as well as my health accessory. I will admit, the photo above with the thicker clasp is sad looking, but I'm used to thick watch faces to begin with, so for me, I don't foresee any issues with it.

Thanx good info,

I wish I can talk to the designer and just ask him what's the rational with this screen... Just as an FYI

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Wow! I have the same impression -- the back side of the band looks well over a half-inch thick! What a shame. The silver bugs me a lot less than that big fat...clasp. Guess I'll have to get me down to an MS store and check it out in person.

Long-term guess is many may skip Gen 2 and wait/hope/pray that Gen 3 is a bit more slender.

-Matt

I'm thinking if worn inside, the silver accent won't be too noticeable. In person, it does look nice. I would say the silver on the clasp itself is something I'd rather have in black so that it's more discreet. The clasp is chunk since they moved the UV sensor there too.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I wish I can talk to the designer and just ask him what's the rational with this screen... Just as an FYI

If you're going to go with a "band" format, it's going to have to be long and skinny. But trying to do "portrait mode" isn't going to work well.

Why a band and not a watch? Someone observed that MS was simply embracing the trend - especially among younger people who no longer wear a watch but are into fitness bands. (While Apple decided to embrace what was fading fashion.)

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking if worn inside, the silver accent won't be too noticeable. In person, it does look nice. I would say the silver on the clasp itself is something I'd rather have in black so that it's more discreet. The clasp is chunk since they moved the UV sensor there too.
Ah if only it was the color that bugged me. Not the case though, I can live with that. My conern is that on the top, outside of my wrist lives more than a half-inch glob of plastic. Not pretty at all. :cry:

Doesn't it also now charge using the contacts on that area as well? I'm not sure it's mainly/just the UV sensor but if it is, I'd give it up in a heartbeat (hah I made a pun).

Perhaps it's all a matter of personal style and taste. I think once we've all tried on the new model, the question of "does it stick out too much on the clasp side?" will be answered.

-Matt

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Ah if only it was the color that bugged me. Not the case though, I can live with that. My conern is that on the top, outside of my wrist lives more than a half-inch glob of plastic. Not pretty at all. :cry:

Doesn't it also now charge using the contacts on that area as well? I'm not sure it's mainly/just the UV sensor but if it is, I'd give it up in a heartbeat (hah I made a pun).

Perhaps it's all a matter of personal style and taste. I think once we've all tried on the new model, the question of "does it stick out too much on the clasp side?" will be answered.

-Matt

So on the clasp, it is the charging port, the UV sensor and likely the battery. I wish I took a photo of it on the top of my wrist. It will be lumpier than Band 1, but I don't recall it being by so much that it was a dealbreaker. I might stop by the MS Store now to see about that.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
If you're going to go with a "band" format, it's going to have to be long and skinny. But trying to do "portrait mode" isn't going to work well.

Why a band and not a watch? Someone observed that MS was simply embracing the trend - especially among younger people who no longer wear a watch but are into fitness bands. (While Apple decided to embrace what was fading fashion.)

Go back in time and see the first digital watches released in the 1970s for the mass market. They were clunky with basic liquid crystal displays but people bought them. Even companies like Texas Instruments made and sold watches under their own brands. That stage is where we might be now with smartwatches.

The LCD digital watch fad died out, people went back to the traditional timepiece faces but the inner mechanisms were digital. Lots of people still wear Casio watches.

Why the Apple Watch probably won't go the way of the LED timepiece is because isn't only a timepiece. Apple is making a wrist computer/communications device. Who can tell what the capabilities of a wrist wearable will be in a few iterations.

That's why I think Microsoft is doing the Band/Band 2. They don't want to miss the wave if the hardware gets good enough to make a really great wrist computer/communications device but they don't want to get burned again trying to sell digital timepieces.

Last edited:

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I had another look at the Band 2 demo. I noticed a couple of things.

Basically, Microsoft took all the problems they had with the screen and moved it to the clasp.

Yes, the clasp is thick, but quite comfortable. I had no problems with it even simulating keyboard use while wearing it clasp in. However, I find the claps ugly. Not something I'd want to be showing off to the public by wearing the Band screen-in. The clasp is thick enough that you do have "lift off" where the band doesn't follow the contour of your arm.

(Sorry about the out of focus photo - it was hard to make my camera behave.)

But there's more. While the screen may not scratch like the Band 1, the clasp does. Take a look at this floor model. Another reason to wear it screen-out.

Yes, the clasp on my Band 1 is also scratched - but it's no where as visible.

I predict a market in 3rd party replacement parts to make the clasp more attractive and scratch-resistant.

Attachments

• Band Liftoff.jpg
    Band Liftoff.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 76
  • ScratchedClasp.jpg
    ScratchedClasp.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 54

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
1) is it difficult to read/ interact with the screen sense its oriented 90 degrees clockwise? i mean usually the numbers and the settings face you when you look at any wrist product. would it require you to tilt your arm outwards to be able to view it correctly?
I don't have any difficulty reading the display or interacting with it when wearing it like a traditional watch. I tried it on the inside of my wrist for a while when I first bought it, but it didn't seem natural, so I switched it to the outside. It's no different than looking at a piece of paper on my desk that isn't perfectly aligned with me, I can still read it without any problem. Normally the band isn't at a full 90 degrees out of orientation, it's closer to 45 degrees. I also found it easier to use the Starbucks scan code with the screen on the outside of my wrist.

Andrew Elliott

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
agreed the clasp apparently scratches like nothing on earth. Just look on twitter with #Microsoft band. A few people have them already and are talking. something to consider for protecting them. Dunno how though

Jon_Rubinstein

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Just tried it in the MS Store again here in Dallas. The screen is so nice. I tried both ways and I will be definitely wearing screen out. If you cant read the screen with it out, time to go an eye doctor. As a matter of fact, it is even easier than a watch cause you dont have to bend your arms 45 degrees in front of you to read it.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
So I stopped by the store yesterday for another looksie at the clasp. I don't know if I can deal with this chunk on the top of my wrist. I'm probably going to keep my Band 1 at this point, but I did speak to the sales rep about warranty and what I found out is that (as we have seen on the MS Store order page) they are continuing with the warranty, so that pretty much shoots down what the other guy said. Next, there's no upgrade path from the Band 1, so if I were to try, the existing Band 1 stock needs to be exhausted (unlikely a year from now). Oh well.

IMG_7730.JPG

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I stopped by last night as well. No mention was made of a upgrade offer, but she did suggest there was a trade-in type of thing. Sounded like a "sells yours for credit" type of deal as it included an appraisal.

Now, if our current band is due for replacement under warranty or under MS Complete, then it should be trivial to trade in our old Band 1 for a new Band 1. And then trade that one that's in "new in the box" condition for credit to Band 2. Maybe that's what was going on for the OP - the store just dispensed with needing an excuse to replace the old one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes