Band sizing med vs small

runningwithband

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Well, FedEx delayed my pre-order so I went into the local MS Store and picked up a Band 2 and I'm glad I did.

I had ordered a medium after trying the sizing guide (and having owned a medium before). I knew the sizing was running a bit larger but it is actually quite a bit larger.

For medium Band 1, I wore it with about 2 to 3 clicks left on the clasp. When I tried on the medium Band 2 in store I had to tighten it all the way and was concerned about it being tight enough for accurate readings while running.

So I walked out with a small (?). The small is pretty small and I now wear the Band 2 with plenty of clicks left but at least I can guarantee a tight fit while exercising

cmucodemonkey

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Well, FedEx delayed my pre-order so I went into the local MS Store and picked up a Band 2 and I'm glad I did.

I had ordered a medium after trying the sizing guide (and having owned a medium before). I knew the sizing was running a bit larger but it is actually quite a bit larger.

For medium Band 1, I wore it with about 2 to 3 clicks left on the clasp. When I tried on the medium Band 2 in store I had to tighten it all the way and was concerned about it being tight enough for accurate readings while running.

So I walked out with a small (?). The small is pretty small and I now wear the Band 2 with plenty of clicks left but at least I can guarantee a tight fit while exercising

Good to know. I was on the edge of a small and a medium, but I have small wrists so I went with a small. Sounds like I made the right call, but we'll see when it arrives on Monday.

Jezza

May 8, 2015
Visit site
The only down side to this of course is the small has a marginally smaller battery than the medium and large,

driedl

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm 6'4" and 225 lbs. I've never been a "small" anything. Band 1 medium I was right in the middle. Band 2 medium I'm one click shy of smallest setting for daily use and will need the smallest setting for working out. If it weren't for the lower capacity battery, I'd exchange for a small. Hopefully there's no "breaking in" as there was with V1!

runningwithband

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
The Medium I had pre-ordered arrived via FedEx this morning and I'll be taking back the small I bought in the MS Store on Friday. While the medium is only 1-2 clicks away from being fully tightened, the small was pretty much all the way open.

HSolo

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I had a Medium in the original Band, and wore it with 2-3 clicks away from it's tightest setting. I could wear the original Band in a Small, but at almost it's loosest setting.
I ordered a Medium Band 2 on-line from MS store, and a Small from local store in case the Medium was too big.
With the Band 2 Medium, I now have it at one click off it's tightest setting (although I could easily wear it at it's tightest). I decided to stay with the Medium for two reasons:
1. Small reportedly has a smaller battery (which would make sense since where the Medium is "loose" is on the sides which would be eliminated with a smaller physical battery).
2. I'd rather have the Band 2 at it's tightest setting, eliminating all of the extra metal in the clasp that would be showing if I had to wear the small at a looser setting.

runningwithband

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
1. Small reportedly has a smaller battery (which would make sense since where the Medium is "loose" is on the sides which would be eliminated with a smaller physical battery).
2. I'd rather have the Band 2 at it's tightest setting, eliminating all of the extra metal in the clasp that would be showing if I had to wear the small at a looser setting.

Yep, my reasoning as well. Plus I was worried that with the clasp at the lower limit all the time it might be more prone to failure

d0m1

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
@HSolo & runningwithband: I've just got my Band 2 in medium and I wear it one to two clicks away from it's tightest setting; question: Do the small and medium Band 2's have the same width? Because with the Medium Band 2 I have some space left between the band and the wrist on both sides..

HSolo

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
@HSolo & runningwithband: I've just got my Band 2 in medium and I wear it one to two clicks away from it's tightest setting; question: Do the small and medium Band 2's have the same width? Because with the Medium Band 2 I have some space left between the band and the wrist on both sides..
I have not tried the small on my wrist. But yes, there is some space between my wrist at the sides (well, actually only really on the one side). It's not that noticeable. The small probably eliminates this because it has a smaller (shorter I'm guessing) battery, which would help bring the one side closer to my wrist. Taking the small gap as a con, for me, the pro's of having a larger battery and showing less of the clasp outweighs the small gap. Not perfect, but I'll take the pro's of the medium as a compromise.

runningwithband

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
I have not tried the small on my wrist. But yes, there is some space between my wrist at the sides (well, actually only really on the one side). It's not that noticeable. The small probably eliminates this because it has a smaller (shorter I'm guessing) battery, which would help bring the one side closer to my wrist. Taking the small gap as a con, for me, the pro's of having a larger battery and showing less of the clasp outweighs the small gap. Not perfect, but I'll take the pro's of the medium as a compromise.

@d0m1 Having worn both the small and the medium now, I did not notice any difference in gap. For me there is no gap on the sides, but the gap at the top where the battery is wasnt any wider/higher between versions. Or at least it wasn't noticeable

Last edited:

HSolo

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
@d0m1 Having work both the small and the medium now, I did not notice any difference in gap. For me there is no gap on the sides, but the gap at the top where the battery is wasnt any wider/higher between versions. Or at least it wasn't noticeable
Hmm, interesting. I would guess that your wrists, although similar in overall size to mine, are flatter and wider. I definitely have a gap on my outside right wrist (screen on inside of wrist). I may drive down to my store to try on the small that they ordered for me to check on its fitment on my wrist. I'm guessing based of his comments on the "gap", that D0m1 must have a similar wrist "shape" to mine.

d0m1

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
My medium Band 2 looks like this on my wrist, screen facing inside:
Band2_5.jpg
Just curious how the small Band 2 would fit..

clemgrad85

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
The medium Band 2 looks similar on my wrist as in the picture above. So, the side gaps allow movement from side to side, but the face of the Band and the battery/clasp make it tight enough on my wrist to not slide on my arm. I am concerned as to whether the side gaps will make it more vulnerable to getting snagged on things. That could be annoying. But I also agree I don't want to see a bunch of metal that would likely occur with the small. I guess I'll still need to run down to my local BB and try a small when they have them in stock (Friday?). Never easy, LOL.

d0m1

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I guess I'll still need to run down to my local BB and try a small when they have them in stock (Friday?). Never easy, LOL.

It would be great if you (or someone else) could take some pictures for a side by side comparison if you decide to go to the store! :)

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem with my medium Band; gaps on both sides of the strap. So I drove an hour to the nearest Microsoft store to see if the small fit better. It does eliminate those gaps completely, but otherwise it's tight. I had to wear it on the loosest setting which is far from ideal.

As I mentioned in another discussion on here yesterday, I think the outer diameter of the Band 2 is about the same as the original, but there is now a gap where the batteries once sat. Much like the first gen model, I wear this one tightened to about the halfway point. But it's like the Band was designed for someone with unusually wide wrists.

The oddly frustrating thing is that I'm finding the Band 2 as uncomfortable as the original. Even though it's more contoured than the first gen, the fact that the sides offer no support means all the pressure is exerted on the top and bottom of my wrist.

For the past two days I've been fussing with the thing, shifting the band and readjusting the clasp every so often. Now I'm trying it with the face pointed out which does seem quite a bit more comfortable. Unfortunately, if I end up wearing it this way that means more awkward usability.

I'm still on the fence about whether or not I'm going to keep this thing.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
According to this review from pocketnow : Microsoft Band 2 Review: a massive hardware improvement | Pocketnow
"The small bands have a 170mAh battery and medium/large Bands have 200mAh"
Has this been verified? Wouldn't the hardware require the same amount of battery power to have the same estimated 48 hours of battery life? It's the same size screen and same sensors between different sizes, isn't it? In that case, I don't see why wrist size would have any impact on the battery capacity needed.

I'm a little skeptical because the same review also states
Also, you?re going to want to sync this with your phone or PC before the battery dies completely because then it will lose all of the data collected since its last sync!

This was not true for the few times I let the battery die on the original Band, so why would the Band 2 lose all its data if the battery died? Have the claims about the small size's battery capacity and losing data been reported/verified by any other sources?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon