Band Just Died

lolguy

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
Checked band yesterday afternoon, it was at 54%. Went to check my steps 30 minutes later and it was dead. Charged it and it would only come back to life to tell me the battery had been fully discharged and prompted me to check the date and time. Tried to reset using the band buttons - unsuccessful. Tried through the app with no luck. Off to the MS Store today to replace.

Can't wait for someone to come up with a device having the functionality of the Band but with some level of durability.

DenMag

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Other forum posts and Microsoft bloggers seeing same issue. Sounds like only fix at this point is a replacement band. Was yours one of the originals from the pre-order? Wondering if it's an issue from the fix batch of hardware. Some have reported that it may be a connection issue with the connections in the strap running from the charging port to the battery on the other side.

Agreed on the functionality side of these devices. I the original Band and at about 8 months the coating on the batteries started coming off. I covered it up with a carbon fiber skin, but I knew in my mind there was an issue. This new battery issue is the first problem I've encountered with the Band 2. I like the form and fit better and the screen is more readable. Question will be how much money will Microsoft continue to put into this product? Nice to know that if Windows phone does go away (not anytime soon and hopefully never), the Band will work on other platforms.

8chris8

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I had a similar issue and was given a replacement. I believe it has something to do with the clasp, or at least mine did.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
My first Band 1 had a clasp that separated from the band. Sent it back and got a replacement. This one is about 6 months in and with the exception of the clasp, is showing its age rapidly. I do like the Band. I have come to understand most of these "wearables" are a whole new ballgame and so far, its rough around the edges yet.

DenMag

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I think I spent more time going up and down the mall yesterday looking for the Kiosk that is our local Microsoft store than it took for them to complete swapping me for a new band. Granted I was firm and explained I had researched the issue and support told me the only option was replacement, though I never called MS Support.
Interesting what you said about the clasp, mine had gotten progressively looser, but I'm not sure that would explain the battery issue as the cables from the charging clasp to the battery go all the way through the band, one end to the other. Hoping just a batch of components, but will be watching lifespan of this one more closely now.

lolguy

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
Swap went without issue and the team member ensured my new band was linked to my phone and updated with the latest s/w before I left the store. Very good service.

To an earlier question, it was a pre-order band. We'll see how this one holds up.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
I had a similar problem with my Band 2 stopping when the battery was sufficiently charged, except when I connected it to the charger it immediately came to life (instead of taking until the battery was full) and showed about 40% battery charge. Not a comforting development.

misterpunn

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I played volleyball with my band on one day and took it off about 30mins into playing because I had noticed that it got hit once and paused itself. Just a few hours later, the band was dead.

The next day, I had mine fully charged and it was dead within a few hours (whereas before I could easily make it further than a day on one charge.) After dying the second time, it simply would not charge at all, though you could try to do the reset while it was plugged-in. I got the animated arrows to appear on screen, but the device would never charge or turn on.

I took it to the MS store/kiosk, they replicated the issue, and I was given a replacement band. It was a surprisingly easy process. It seems like the battery might be an issue. Hopefully I don't experience any more issues with it. Does the warranty reset when you get a replacement band (a new 1yr warranty from the date of your replacement band?)

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Was yours one of the originals from the pre-order?
I understand there's a date code somewhere. (Perhaps on the box.) It would be nice if users could find that so we can determine if it's a batch issue or not. Just because someone picked up a unit last week doesn't mean it has a more recent date code.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar problem with my Band 2 stopping when the battery was sufficiently charged, except when I connected it to the charger it immediately came to life (instead of taking until the battery was full) and showed about 40% battery charge. Not a comforting development.

The same thing happened to me, today.

Cliff_W_R

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
I have already sent in my Band twice (on my third) for this exact issue. It starts out by dying even with a charge, then stops charging at all and no choice but to send it in. I was part of the pre-order originally, but the band has now been replaced twice and the box they send it back to you in doesn’t include a code to identify its origin.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes