Things I would like to see in an future update...

dar981

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
After having the band about 8 weeks, I have noticed some glaring issues that need to be addressed in further updates.

1: no screen rotation, users that wear it on the top of their wrist or the other way round must move their head into an unnatural position to view the screen. Wish they added a rotation option, the tiles will rotate in a single column, just as they do on your phone, the time etc could be adjusted also to match rotation, I like wearing it in different positions. Shame the device does not reflect the change, this could be adjusted in a future update.

This might be more of a question than a glaring oversight?

2: If im exercising with the band, using the run or bike tile, while the timers active, I cant see my notifications as I cannot get back to the main screen. This means I have to check my phone, which defies the point of using the band... hoping I am missing something here?

3: Notification indicator on the main screen, add it to the action button just as the stairs climbed, calories, date option can be flicked through, saves swiping to the tiles...

4: The sensor that allows you to flick your wrist to view the time display is too sensitive. It goes off far too often, especially when working out... It needs to be dialed down a tad, I am not making violent movements, but when your exercising your often using your arms, so the display might as well always be on.

5: The battery should read percentage rather than a bulk "battery" graphic, it can be a little inaccurate, I know they added that feature to the tile, but I do not want to check the phone, should be on my wrist. That is the whole point of having the band, so you do NOT need to keep checking the phone...

6. I do not always detect an incoming notification because the high vibrate option can be missed. Can they not add more vibration types through an update. i have seen it done on a band app, it can be adjusted for pulses rather than flat vibration...

7. People are designing apps for windows 10 and MS BAND 2, however many of us are reluctant to move to windows 10 insider due to the amount of bugs currently present. I do not know how many are still using 8.1 on their phones, but probably a lot simply because its stable...

8. Once a day, if i go out of range of my phone, I have to re pair my band to my phone (bluetooth on, then it pairs automatically), or i do not get any notifications. I know its a range issue thats causing it...

If I think of anything else ill add it...

Any thoughts or ideas?

Last edited:

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
1: no screen rotation, users that wear it on the top of their wrist or the other way round must move their head into an unnatural position to view the screen. Wish they added a rotation option, the tiles will rotate in a single column, just as they do on your phone, the time etc could be adjusted also to match rotation, I like wearing it in different positions. Shame the device does not reflect the change, this could be adjusted in a future update.

This is one of those things you get used to. Instead of tilting your head just move your arm.

If rotation was added it would probably be an off/on setting (ie rotation lock) to make things simpler.

devbent

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi dar981,

We always love the feedback!

If you haven't already, please go to our UserVoice and vote the your ideas. It helps us keep ideas organized, and see how much support a feature has going for it.

I always like to help people explain our thought topics on our design, so I'll briefly take a minute to talk about some of the design choices my team has made!

1: no screen rotation

This is hard, because time rotation would be easy, but for our activities it would mean entire new concepts and ideas, and for messages it is really hard! The best idea I've heard so far is to still show them in landscape, but IMHO that feels inconsistent. But yes, we re-evaluate this one pretty often!

2: If im exercising with the band, using the run or bike tile, while the timers active, I cant see my notifications as I cannot get back to the main screen.

Notifications should still come in, but you cannot tap on them to read the whole message. When the sweat starts flying, inadvertent drops on the screen can look like taps. We didn't want activities paused at random, ending up being randomly dumped out of your exercise is a rather painful experience. The Band shows a preview of messages during activities, letting you decide if the message is important enough to stop your workout.

This is one of those times when the limits of technology become very apparent!

3: Notification indicator on the main screen,

This is trending higher and higher on the request list. I'd love it personally, as it is also a pet peeve of mine.

#4 and #5, yes, I have conversations daily about these! :) #4 is actually really hard to solve, and #5 is another annoyance of mine.

6. I do not always detect an incoming notification because the high vibrate option can be missed.

Noted. We have a powerful and rather programmable vibration engine on board, it just doesn't get used much. (One fun test we did here was finding out how sensitive different people are to vibrations, making a haptic language is hard!)

8. Once a day, if i go out of range of my phone

Now that is bad. Which phone and OS?

dar981

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi dar981,

Now that is bad. Which phone and OS?

Windows 8.1 Band 2, Nokia Lumia 920.

I can always tell when the band is not working properly, as when you go to reply messages on your band, it gets stuck at connecting on "reply", this means the band appears to be bugged. I then turn off bluetooth, then back on, it pairs immediately and I can then send messages again... But it happens every day. Its usually if I go out of range of the band. (sometimes only a room away)...

This only happens if i go out of range of the band, so its a repeatable bug, I have reset the band and the phone...

See this post for more information, lots of users reporting this bug:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...yboard-connecting-cortana-not-connecting.html

Last edited:

dar981

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for replying, i wanted to address your feedback

1: no screen rotation
This is a shame as it feels like a massive design oversight, it would give people the option to wear it anyway they wanted, bit of a shame, but I understand your reasoning there.

Added: on further reflection I can see the reasoning behind it, inside the wrist is less likely to damage as opposed to wearing it like a normal watch. this makes sense, (i would not say by much though!)

2: If im exercising with the band, using the run or bike tile, while the timers active, I cant see my notifications as I cannot get back to the main screen.

I can understand this point, however, see point 6, allow us to change the haptic feedback, as i often miss the vibration while im exercising, even on its highest setting. I saw some clever soul could change the vibration to pulses in different lengths, gives more flexibility.

3: Notification indicator on the main screen!
Get this one on the main screen then!, glad you agree!

4: The sensor that allows you to flick your wrist to view the time display is too sensitive. You say difficult can you explain?

5: The battery should read percentage rather than a bulk "battery" graphic...
You noted this point thanks!

6. I do not always detect an incoming notification because the high vibrate option can be missed. I found an app in the store, that lets you play with the haptic feedback option, I found accidentally i was more aware of the pulse over stock vibration... So that is my pet peeve! (hahah)..Would be nice if you can change the option though, thank you for noting that one!

8: I answered this in my previous post...

9: We need a walk tile, or maybe i missed something?

10: Tap to wake the screen is it possible? would be awesome?

(This may conflict with 11, see that point...)

11: Merge or disable Auto Rotate function when using any exercise tile, you have two options conflicting with each other for the display. (just added)

Thanks!

PS i added my ideas to the user voice, voted where appropriate!

Last edited:

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Good suggestions overall on features.

7. People are designing apps for windows 10 and MS BAND 2, however many of us are reluctant to move to windows 10 insider due to the amount of bugs currently present. I do not know how many are still using 8.1 on their phones, but probably a lot simply because its stable...

According to netmarketshare.com, during Oct 2015-Feb 2016, 2.39% of mobile users were on Windows Phone 8.x and 0.21% were using Windows 10 Mobile so there was a 11-to-1 ratio of WP8.x users to W10M users during that period.

The ratio may shrink this week as some are guessing that Microsoft will begin pushing out Windows 10 Mobile upgrades to older Lumias later today.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
4: The sensor that allows you to flick your wrist to view the time display is too sensitive. It goes off far too often, especially when working out... It needs to be dialed down a tad, I am not making violent movements, but when your exercising your often using your arms, so the display might as well always be on.

I use the watch rotation mode, but I was under the impression that it was switched to Always On during workouts. At least mine does. I noticed this a few days ago during a run, but I just switched to the exercise tile to check, and the screen never times out, even when holding my wrist completely still.

I don't know if this is a related issue or if it's a bug. When I am running and hit a mile mark, the screen comes on to show my progress as expected. There have been many occasions in the 4 months I've had my Band 2 where I've looked down a few minutes later and noticed that the screen stayed on after the progress update. I have to manually use the power button to turn the screen off again, which just goes into watch mode as previously described.

When not tracking an activity, there doesn't seem to be any issues with the screen turning itself off. The watch only appears for 3 seconds after wrist rotation, and the screen only stays on for 15 seconds after the last screen or button press.

Because of this screen issue during run workouts, I'm kind of curious what the best course of action will be to preserve battery life during my marathon next month. I plan to finish in about 5 to 5.5 hours. I was going to switch to GPS saver mode, but would turning watch mode off help save battery from the display?

dar981

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I had windows 10 on my phone using the slow builds, but i found the bluetooth integration to be poor, why I used the windows recovery tool and went back to 8.1... I am not looking forward to windows 10 on the phone I actually liked the way 8.1 looks, ah well..progress...

dar981

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I use the watch rotation mode, but I was under the impression that it was switched to Always On during workouts. At least mine does. I noticed this a few days ago during a run, but I just switched to the exercise tile to check, and the screen never times out, even when holding my wrist completely still.

I don't know if this is a related issue or if it's a bug. When I am running and hit a mile mark, the screen comes on to show my progress as expected. There have been many occasions in the 4 months I've had my Band 2 where I've looked down a few minutes later and noticed that the screen stayed on after the progress update. I have to manually use the power button to turn the screen off again, which just goes into watch mode as previously described.

When not tracking an activity, there doesn't seem to be any issues with the screen turning itself off. The watch only appears for 3 seconds after wrist rotation, and the screen only stays on for 15 seconds after the last screen or button press.

Because of this screen issue during run workouts, I'm kind of curious what the best course of action will be to preserve battery life during my marathon next month. I plan to finish in about 5 to 5.5 hours. I was going to switch to GPS saver mode, but would turning watch mode off help save battery from the display?

You can turn off the screen during workouts by pressing the main button, it then only flashes up I think when you reach certain landmark achievements, saves battery.

The rotate on wrist option as you say is also available, but I find it too sensitive, if your working out, you tend to use your arms, which means its always flashing up, so it may as well be always on, but that will kill the battery...so needs to be adjusted to be less sensitive. However they said this is difficult to implement. I am not sure why, i would guess it uses a sensor that is hard coded and not changeable.

rangerdogy

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I've also noticed the screen not staying off during long runs. During long runs, I do turn off the display to save battery life. On some miles, when it does the mile notification, it does not turn the display back off. My long runs use up most of the battery life (with power saver off), so every bit helps. I've gotten into the habit of checking a few seconds after the haptic feedback to make sure the display is back off. Works well when I'm in a short-sleeve shirt, but not so much in winter when my band is under a couple layers.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
The rotate on wrist option as you say is also available, but I find it too sensitive, if your working out, you tend to use your arms, which means its always

So are you saying that your watch display in rotation mode actually does time out during exercise activity if the arm is not moving? As I said in my previous post, mine does not when tracking a workout. As a test, I placed my Band in exercise mode while sitting at my desk and not moving. The screen never turns off completely because the watch is always displayed even when I am as motionless as I can be.

dar981

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
So are you saying that your watch display in rotation mode actually does time out during exercise activity if the arm is not moving? As I said in my previous post, mine does not when tracking a workout. As a test, I placed my Band in exercise mode while sitting at my desk and not moving. The screen never turns off completely because the watch is always displayed even when I am as motionless as I can be.

When auto rotate is on, rotating your wrist, the band lights up yes to show the time. The display goes off after a second, however see the following example with auto rotate enabled:

Exercise tile, timer, start, turn off display, display comes back on anyway with auto rotate but only shows the time, because you are constantly in motion, the time just keeps coming up.

Question: Should I not be viewing the exercise timer at this point?

Neither function works together, therein lies the problem, seems to me, the function should be replaced / merged by auto rotate on exercise so I only have one distraction not two. This would be better. or replace it with double tap to wake...

I am wearing the band on my left inside wrist.

Last edited:

dar981

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Windows 8.1 Band 2, Nokia Lumia 920.

I can always tell when the band is not working properly, as when you go to reply messages on your band, it gets stuck at connecting on "reply", this means the band appears to be bugged. I then turn off bluetooth, then back on, it pairs immediately and I can then send messages again... But it happens every day. Its usually if I go out of range of the band. (sometimes only a room away)...

This only happens if i go out of range of the band, so its a repeatable bug, I have reset the band and the phone...

See this post for more information, lots of users reporting this bug:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...yboard-connecting-cortana-not-connecting.html

I just had to reset my band, after 10 weeks of use, the band refused to connect anymore to my phone, i restarted my phone, deleted the pairing, turned off bluetooth all the usual... (im not hard resetting my phone because the band is not working, its clearly the band thats not working correctly...) ended up hard resetting the band and starting over...

Seems to be fine now, i can leave the room again and messages get to me via the band, even if i am out in the garden...

Nokia Lumia 920, running 8.1...

This bug seems to be across all device...

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
1. The battery life really needs to be longer when GPS tracking. I had asked for GPS saver, but it is too inaccurate to be useful.

2. As part of the bike tile, I would love the ability to save a route, and then indicate that you are following a route when you start the ride, and have the band give haptic alerts when to turn. (Again, the haptic alerts would need to be a bit stronger than they are now, as I miss half of them while doing a ride.)

If there was a separate hike tile, I'm sure this would come in handy there as well for hikers.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
1. The battery life really needs to be longer when GPS tracking. I had asked for GPS saver, but it is too inaccurate to be useful.

2. As part of the bike tile, I would love the ability to save a route, and then indicate that you are following a route when you start the ride, and have the band give haptic alerts when to turn. (Again, the haptic alerts would need to be a bit stronger than they are now, as I miss half of them while doing a ride.)

If there was a separate hike tile, I'm sure this would come in handy there as well for hikers.

Agreed on all three points, Dave, I'd like to see all of them happen! Unfortunately I think none of them can be achieved with an update, though. Will have to wait for Band 3, perhaps they'll implement some new features/bigger battery then.

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
OK, another one, during a bike ride, a wrist flip should flash the screen on for a few seconds, then turn it back off again. That way, you could ride with the screen off to maximize battery life, but still check your stats whenever you wanted while keeping one hand on the tiller.

kopte3

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I would like to see a very useful feature which isn't too hard to implement for the current version of the Band.

On receiving a notification there is a swipe to the left which shows a Dismiss button. There is a huge need for swipe to the right where we would have Do not disturb for next: and then an option for 15,30,60,120,180 minutes.

When you're doing some work and somebody starts writing you on for example Whatsapp it can be really difficult to concentrate. Sometimes going to settings isn't an option, simply you don't have time to do it or you don't know where exactly is the option that you're looking for.

dar981

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I would like to see a very useful feature which isn't too hard to implement for the current version of the Band.

On receiving a notification there is a swipe to the left which shows a Dismiss button. There is a huge need for swipe to the right where we would have Do not disturb for next: and then an option for 15,30,60,120,180 minutes.

When you're doing some work and somebody starts writing you on for example Whatsapp it can be really difficult to concentrate. Sometimes going to settings isn't an option, simply you don't have time to do it or you don't know where exactly is the option that you're looking for.

If they added the whatsapp reply function, incorporate your idea but add a "ill text you in a bit" option, just as you get with incoming calls...

Would be useful, I get many serial whatsapp'ers, cant tell em to stop texting me unless i take out my phone!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon