My Band clasp just broke - Help! How can I fix it?

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
My Band clasp just broke - Help!

Hello All.

I am based in Thailand where Microsoft never officially sell or announced the Microsoft Band. I imported one via eBay and I really like it. I am a regular runner and the monsoon season is upon us in Bangkok so that means that Band gets wet quite frequently from rain and sweat. Yesterday I took it off and the clasp (and a thin piece of rubber that it attaches to) just came off, a clean break.

So the clasp is intact but to get it to attach to the strap I have literally had to tape the two pieces back together (see picture, try not to laugh).

Microsoft kindly told me that if I ship my Band to the UK I can then get it fixed as a service request (these are unavailable in Thailand) - would this be a hassle or not with Band 2 on the horizon which may or may not be launched in Thailand? Is there any way I can fix the problem better myself?

Are there any alternate Windows Phone compatible wearables I could get, instead of a Band, that gives notifications from action center, emails, SMS, IM's and such and has GPS to track running? Those are my two needs.

I can still wear it, in its new taped up form, and it functions fine, but I am not sure how long the tape will hold up. Is there a better fix?

Many thanks for all your help.

Ian

WP_20151002_08_48_23_Pro.jpgWP_20151002_08_48_34_Pro.jpg

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Re: My Band clasp just broke - Help!

super glue lol

So, I guess this hasn't happened to anyone else then? I am a little concerned now to get the Band 2 for fear of the same thing happening. I'd like to just get another Band but again, a little concerned it would just happen again after 6 months. If I did get another Band are there any tips to help protect it from moisture?

Many thanks.

Ian

Titaniumgiant

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site

I have mine which I wear pretty much 24/7 but never had that happen. It could be though the environmental factors playing a role in it since you are outdoors and in rain, humidity, etc. might be playing a role in it snapping like that. I would say try to keep it dry as much as possible, they say the band is water resistant, but not water proof....so yea...but really, no I don't know of anyone who had that clasp broken like that

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

I guess I am the only one. It came as a shock to say the least. I hope the Band 2 lasts longer.

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

This happened to me but I haven't taped it up.
I had my band since April, I have not abused it but look at it, very disappointed.

My problem is I am in Germany and purchased via Amazon UK - Amazon won't let me return and I don't what MS will say as it was not sold in Germany
.1.jpg

Last edited:

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

Hello.

Your situation is the same as mine. I got my band from eBay. It's not sold in Thailand. If it helps, Microsoft US said that, because my Band is still under warranty, if I can ship it to someone in the US or UK then a service request can be created online.

Microsoft would then pick it up from the other person, fix it for free, ship it back to that person who would ship it to me.

This is quite a chore so I will get a Band 2. Contact Microsoft to ask if the same applies to your Band.

Good luck.

Ian

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

Cheers, I have emailed Amazon hoping they will do something.
I am not back in England this year, although I could send to a family member easily trying to arrange the collection would not be so easy.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

Hello.

Please try going to the official Microsoft Band site, sign in using your Microsoft account and see if you can submit a service request for your Band.

If not, contact the live support and explain the situation. It's silly we can't get them repaired so easily. Not selling the Band in Thailand doesn't surprise me but not selling in Germany does.

Good luck! Let me know what happens.

Ian

oezkanp

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site

It`s not a problem to get your band replaced if you are in Germany. I did it twice without problems.. Just use the Mircrosoft support UK.

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

I emailed Amazon UK, they were very good.
They gave me an advance refund and sent me a prepaid label to return the band.

I was happy with Band but the way it started to fall to pieces did not impress me so will see how the Band 2 performs and maybe pick one of those up.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

Awesome that you got this solved!

I was not so lucky, sadly. I pre-ordered a Band 2. I hope it will last longer.

oezkanp

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site

Awesome that you got this solved!

I was not so lucky, sadly. I pre-ordered a Band 2. I hope it will last longer.

You just need an adress from a supported county and you can use the microsoft support to get an exchange.. If you dont know somebody who can help you for this, you can use the support from Big Apple Buddy: https://www.facebook.com/bigapplebuddy
He is helping people to get stuff from US. I did well experiences with this service. (i get my band from him)

Last edited:

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

I already paid for and pre-ordered a Band 2 thanks to a kind member on here.

Thanks.

Ian

TonyMullen

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
My band snapped in the same way, still under warranty, I've contacted support who have told me to send it to Germany to be assessed because they don't normally cover this problem under warranty.

Samstables

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
Mine did the same, just around the time I was thinking about buying a Band 2 because of the trade-in offer. I am in the UK so sent it back to Microsoft who took 4 weeks to locate it and claim it was down to heavy wear and so sent it back not repaired meaning I missed out on the trade-in offer.

I'd only had it about 6 months from new so was fairly not happy about that but even chat and phone conversations wouldn't get them to budge. So I now have a completely useless Band that I can't wear because you can't do the clasp up - any one want it for spares or repairs??!!

Having said that I had already preordered the Band 2 which is so much more comfortable and sturdy. If anything breaks on this one, I will not let them tell me it's "wear" - ?200 should last a lot longer than 6 months

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I had mine break when I was flexing and the damn thing popped off. I used superglue and it looks like nothing ever happened to it. Like someone else said just super glue claps back on. Make sure you let it cure so it wont happen again.

psyfreaki

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site

This happened to me but I haven't taped it up.
I had my band since April, I have not abused it but look at it, very disappointed.

My problem is I am in Germany and purchased via Amazon UK - Amazon won't let me return and I don't what MS will say as it was not sold in Germany
.View attachment 113952

this is exactly the same issue i'm having with my ms band v1. clasp
is there anything available to fix it myself, as i'm outside us and the warranty already expired

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon