10-01-2016 05:33 PM
266 123 ...
tools
    Just as the title says I'm looking to upgrade from my Nokia Lumia 520 and I want to get a phone that's been just as reliable and long lasting battery life as my 520. Let me know your thoughts. I am thinking of getting it in Orange.

Thanks so much.
    ire
    07-16-2015 11:06 PM
    Dump the 520 immediately and move to the 640XL.
    I have to say the 520 was a stellar phone.
    07-17-2015 01:34 AM
    Coming from iphone 5 these are the cons that i noticed:

1. Blurry text. i know i cant compare it with retina screen but glance screen text is jagged, text in windows central app is blurry and looks like it is cut in half
    2. stutter when scrolling, especially when you are holding your thumb on the screen and slowly scrolling it.
    3. background apps. THe iphone 5 can resume apps quickly and continue what i was doing but 640 xl will show resume screen/loading screen
    4. Apps. i dont use many apps but i cant even find a decent rar file comic reader. I am using cover now which i think is the best but it tooks very long to render pages, crash consistently. Other than that is readit which stutter when scrolling and loading comments
    5. Touch sensitivity. i dont think 640xl recognize touches that well. A short swipe will sometimes recognized as a tap.

These are the major things that i encountered. I may upgrade to the new flagship or back to iphone. All i want is smooth experience.
    noersetiawan and 4fool like this.
    07-17-2015 02:12 AM
    I used to own a Lumia 520 as well. I am using a Lumia 640XL Cyan now. Read the post of coconutxyz. Don't know what Lumia 640XL he is using (if he is even really using one at all) but I completely disagree with what he says about the Lumia 640 XL. SURE the Lumia 640XL is not a flagship phone, but after using it as my everyday phone for about 2 months now, I would definitely recommend it if your planning on buying one. You May watch video reviews of the phone to know more about what it can offer. So far, I am not disappointed with it's performance.
    07-17-2015 02:43 AM
    It's a good choice. Light weight. Amazing battery ๐Ÿ”‹ life too. I used the black for months before my colleague forcefully bought ๐Ÿ˜Š. Orange is beautiful too. I say GO FOR IT.
    djeire84, anon(5339110) and jmmigo like this.
    07-17-2015 03:00 AM
    How is gaming performance..moving from a lumia 520..
    07-17-2015 03:37 AM
    Hi,
    On my 640XL The text is not blurry, the screen is scrolling smooth, the touch sensitivity is good, the screen resuming quickly from any apps.
    Definitely moving from the 520 to the 640XL will be good.
    I have owned recently the 1520 and few year ago the iphone 5S, and I have decided to move to the 640xl because I have some issue with the network reception and the ghost touch screen with the 1520.
    I am very satisfied with the phone knowing also I do no have to spend all my budget on "a" phone:
    I can call people or receive a call, I do not have to charge the battery every night, I have my personal sim card and my business sim card in so I do not need two mobile phones, The 4g and H+ capabilities and the wifi is good enough for me to received/send emails, read the news, upload the photo to onedrive, I like the selfie 5MB camera and the 13MB camera which can give me some good picture if I do not move , Skype is ok, my 64GB micro SD card compensate the 8GB internal, the display quality is good for me with not too much finger print (oleophobic coating) and readable outside with sunshine.
    This is not a 600 mobile phone but for 140 I think this is a very good investment and should be for a lot of people.
    07-17-2015 03:52 AM
    Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to flame the 640xl. In fact I got one due to getting bored of iphone. To be honest it I definitely not as smooth as iPhone due to it's price tag
    Alfa Kapa likes this.
    07-17-2015 06:26 AM
    The best.
    djeire84 likes this.
    07-17-2015 06:29 AM
    I junked my nexus 6 for the 640xl its amazing. Camera is absolutely beautiful and the os is blazing fast
    07-17-2015 03:50 PM
    I use the 640 XL for a everyday device, i sync my MS band with it also.I came from a 640xl from a 1520 when mine died, it does 90 % of what my 1530 did. The only issue i have run into is that my LG HBS800 head set wont pair via blue tooth. Overall I am happy i was a Note 4 user previous and want want to windows 10 to launch to make the phone even better.
    djeire84 likes this.
    07-17-2015 08:27 PM
    not as smooth as iPhone due to it's price tag
    what has the price tag to do with smoothness? may be its in your mind but not that I noticed in ANY lumias i owned. just cos 640xl is cheaper than iPhone it has to be not as smooth, is it?
    07-18-2015 01:18 PM
    To be honest, the 640XL is smooth enough for me, I cannot feel any difference with the other good phone
    djeire84 and jmmigo like this.
    07-18-2015 03:46 PM
    Lumia 520 was fast on WP8.0. It went down hill with 8.1 for me. Here is a review for Lumia 640 XL.
    RichardTheKing and djeire84 like this.
    07-18-2015 04:15 PM
    I used to own a Lumia 520 as well. I am using a Lumia 640XL Cyan now. Read the post of coconutxyz. Don't know what Lumia 640XL he is using (if he is even really using one at all) but I completely disagree with what he says about the Lumia 640 XL. SURE the Lumia 640XL is not a flagship phone, but after using it as my everyday phone for about 2 months now, I would definitely recommend it if your planning on buying one. You May watch video reviews of the phone to know more about what it can offer. So far, I am not disappointed with it's performance.
    yes I don't think he really has a 640xl either as I don't experience any of the issues he has, I also have an iPhone 6 and really don't think that screen is much different than the xl's considering the size difference, and the xl runs windows 10 very smoothly which is also another bonus for a budget device.
    07-18-2015 07:13 PM
    is funny cause I find the 640XL running widows 10 to be just as smooth as my iPhone 6, the screen is better and easier to read stuff. The camera takes better pictures than the iPhone 6, some apps are faster at opening on the iPhone 6 but you would expect that comparing a budget device to a "high end" device. For the money you cant beat the XL in my opinion.
    djeire84, Kalpit Tiwari and jmmigo like this.
    07-18-2015 07:16 PM
    Looks like I should have only posted only positive things in a recommendation thread...
    djeire84 and Marko Marjanovic like this.
    07-18-2015 07:52 PM
    I own an iPhone 6 presently alongside the Lumia 640 XL and a Lumia 1520(though If I am lucky, it will have been sold by tomorrow <3)

That being said, let's say this for the most part...the iPhone is a high end device thus it performs as such and it can be smoother a times than the 640 XL.

However, I've noticed(At least with the 6) the performance on the iPhone is not consistent and I have noticed many times where it performs subpar(usually lag/slow transitions) where as the 640 XL is a solid all around consistent performer.

Great phone, Great camera for the price and despite having weaker specs such as the processor I do find it better than the iPhone 6(so of course that means i'd find it better than the 5).

It's only main weaknesses is its lack of a retina type display and text CAN be a little jagged. That being said, I have been doing a lot of browsing on the iPhone 6 the last 2 weeks and while the text is clearer, it is also incredibly small that I 'd rather have the bigger screen with slightly jagged text as it is a lot easier to see..and enjoy what I am reading.
    DrDreadJoy and Kalpit Tiwari like this.
    07-18-2015 07:59 PM
    Can we confirm the 640XL is compatible on the T-Mobile network?
    07-18-2015 08:46 PM
    Dump the 520 immediately and move to the 640XL.
    I have to say the 520 was a stellar phone.

Ha ha I love your honesty. I have had no trouble with my 520 in the over two years I've had it. Yes I'm liking the 640XL in regards expandable storage and removable battery.
    Last edited by djeire84; 07-19-2015 at 04:02 AM.
    07-19-2015 03:39 AM
    Coming from iphone 5 these are the cons that i noticed:

1. Blurry text. i know i cant compare it with retina screen but glance screen text is jagged, text in windows central app is blurry and looks like it is cut in half
    2. stutter when scrolling, especially when you are holding your thumb on the screen and slowly scrolling it.
    3. background apps. THe iphone 5 can resume apps quickly and continue what i was doing but 640 xl will show resume screen/loading screen
    4. Apps. i dont use many apps but i cant even find a decent rar file comic reader. I am using cover now which i think is the best but it tooks very long to render pages, crash consistently. Other than that is readit which stutter when scrolling and loading comments
    5. Touch sensitivity. i dont think 640xl recognize touches that well. A short swipe will sometimes recognized as a tap.

These are the major things that i encountered. I may upgrade to the new flagship or back to iphone. All i want is smooth experience.

Since I'm moving from one widows device to another, I'm really looking for users that have moved Windows Phone devices. Thanks for your feedback though.
    Mogamy Cool likes this.
    07-19-2015 03:41 AM

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes I think buying the 640XL is definitely in my future.
    07-19-2015 03:43 AM
    It's a good choice. Light weight. Amazing battery ๐Ÿ”‹ life too. I used the black for months before my colleague forcefully bought ๐Ÿ˜Š. Orange is beautiful too. I say GO FOR IT.

Thank you so much for your help. I think its a sturdy yes across the board I think.
    07-19-2015 03:44 AM
    Hi,

On my 640XL The text is not blurry, the screen is scrolling smooth, the touch sensitivity is good, the screen resuming quickly from any apps.

Definitely moving from the 520 to the 640XL will be good.

I have owned recently the 1520 and few year ago the iphone 5S, and I have decided to move to the 640xl because I have some issue with the network reception and the ghost touch screen with the 1520.

I am very satisfied with the phone knowing also I do no have to spend all my budget on "a" phone:

I can call people or receive a call, I do not have to charge the battery every night, I have my personal sim card and my business sim card in so I do not need two mobile phones, The 4g and H+ capabilities and the wifi is good enough for me to received/send emails, read the news, upload the photo to onedrive, I like the selfie 5MB camera and the 13MB camera which can give me some good picture if I do not move , Skype is ok, my 64GB micro SD card compensate the 8GB internal, the display quality is good for me with not too much finger print (oleophobic coating) and readable outside with sunshine.

This is not a 600 mobile phone but for 140 I think this is a very good investment and should be for a lot of people.

Wow didn't know it was dual sim? Thanks for your in depth review of its connectivity.
    07-19-2015 03:46 AM
    I junked my nexus 6 for the 640xl its amazing. Camera is absolutely beautiful and the os is blazing fast

Ha ha I guess you like it then. Thank you for your reply.
    07-19-2015 03:47 AM
266 123 ...