Trouble replacing the screen

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
My phone got the dreaded 'yellow stain' spot on the top right corner. Being handy and thrifty (and because MS won't cover it under warranty) I tried to fix it myself. I bought a new screen & frame assembly, volume & power flex control & sensor, proximity flex sensor and headphone flex sensor. After taking it all apart and putting it back together again, the screen worked, but the touch screen function would cut in and out, being out 90% of the time.

The screen and frame assembly looked like they *may* have been damaged during shipment (a small plastic tab had broken off). I assumed the screen was bad and bought another, along with all the other flex sensors. I again, disassembled and reassembled it with the new parts (these ones looked to be in much better condition). Same result! The touch feature on the screen worked for a little while (minutes) and then wouldn't work again.

You're thinking "this has to be user error" but each time when I reassembled with the original screen it works fine. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there something I'm missing? I compared both the old (stained) screen and new one every single millimeter and I can't see there's a part missing or misaligned. Is there a tab I need to pop out or a jumper I need to switch or anything?

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
If the discolored screen has full touch functionality when reinstalling it in your phone, it sounds like the replacement part has a defective digitizer for registering your touch.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
If the discolored screen has full touch functionality when reinstalling it in your phone, it sounds like the replacement part has a defective digitizer for registering your touch.

or if it doesn't work even with the original screen then you may have damaged something on the board during the process.
good luck

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
reminds me of the time when my I had to replace my Nexus 7 (2012)'s digitizer. But I didn't do it myself. Even though it was under warranty and warranty does not cover physical damage. I could have easily brought a digitizer and replaced it. But I had no guarantee that what I was buying online might work on my hardware or that is genuine, so I took it to the ASUS service center and did a proper follow up on that.
They had to try 2 different digitizers before they got it right. The tech guys there said even though the replacement part is identical, the part numbers have to match and only then it will work properly, which makes sense.
The part number is printed on the aluminum housing of the digitizer.

Second probable cause is that you might have damaged the stripwire contacts (these things are very fragile and the copper contacts could come off easily while sliding it in).

You're saying that the original digitizer is working fine with the touch so we can rule out the fact that something on board is damaged, because then, the original digitizer wouldn't have worked at all.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Look at the name stamped on the chip on the digitizer. Many Lumias use a Synaptics chip - no aftermarket ones do. Sometimes, if you don't have the right chip, you will lose some sort of functionality - double tap to wake, glance, or even touch issues just like you described.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I was hoping to fix the screen and resell on eBay, I think now I'll just keep it around as a 'backup' phone. I can't imagine I'd get more than $50 or so for a phone with a burned screen. Can't believe this pile only lasted a month before that happened. Huge fail.

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I've read that after replacing screens on certain models you have to perform a 'dead flash', via the Nokia software suite. This involves reloading the firmware from the rom. Perhaps you want to look this up.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I've read that after replacing screens on certain models you have to perform a 'dead flash', via the Nokia software suite. This involves reloading the firmware from the rom. Perhaps you want to look this up.

Curious, I'll see if I can dig something up. If you happen to think of where you saw this, it would be appreciated. It seems odd though, the new screen's touch feature worked for a little while, then quit. I figure it would just be all or nothing.

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
It is mentioned on this website.
https://www.replacebase.co.uk/microsoft-nokia-lumia-635-replacement-touch-screen-digitizer-original/
It's for the Lumia 535 (the link I have given is for the 535 even though it shows 635).
The part you are looking for reads :-
'With the Lumia 535 a replacement digitizer will not simply work when fitted like many other phones - for the digitizer to work you must fit the digitizer then download Nokia Care Suite 5.0, once installed you must carry out a process called "Dead Flash" We recommend you research this process before making a purchase.'
I was researching it as I have a Lumia 535 with a damaged screen.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
It is mentioned on this website.
https://www.replacebase.co.uk/microsoft-nokia-lumia-635-replacement-touch-screen-digitizer-original/
It's for the Lumia 535 (the link I have given is for the 535 even though it shows 635).
The part you are looking for reads :-
'With the Lumia 535 a replacement digitizer will not simply work when fitted like many other phones - for the digitizer to work you must fit the digitizer then download Nokia Care Suite 5.0, once installed you must carry out a process called "Dead Flash" We recommend you research this process before making a purchase.'
I was researching it as I have a Lumia 535 with a damaged screen.

Thanks, I sincerely appreciate it, maybe I can resurrect the phone after all!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goergtalk