Why there is always a problem with using the MicroSD card? (Win 8.1 Update 2)

kodakhk

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm using a Lumia 640 XL Dual Sim and Lumia 636 LTE (A variant of 635 Dual Sim)

Both phones are running Win 8.1 Mobile Update 2.

It seems there is a problem after using the SD to store some Apps and photos for a few week. The problem, to be precise, is as follows.

1. After taking pictures, the pictures would NOT be saved on phone but luckily they were being uploaded to One Drive.
2. After receiving pictures on WhatsApp, the pictures cannot be opened on WhatsApp and if you open it on Photos App, there will be black screens.
3. Apps cannot be updated on Store. No matter where I store the Apps (Internal Storage or SD Card)
4. Message of LINE Apps would be lost. Both the messages I sent to my friend or vice versa.

640 XL: Tried Strontium and Transcend (Micro SD XC U1)
636: Tried ADATA (Micro SD Class 10)

It is very annoying that it still happens after I change the SD Card (From Strontium to Transcend). It appears to be there is a bug within the system that prevent the "Writing" of the SD card.:crying: My 636 asked me to scan the SD card everytime after booting up......

Do you know there is a fix for that? Many thanks.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
pull the card, format it in a pc (not a quick format), put it back in and try it out. if it still misbehaves, follow it up with a hard reset.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Two questions:

1. Are these brand new SD card?

2. If you are removing them from your phone, have you selected the "safely eject hardware" button in the storage sense app? Failure to do that will damage your SD card. I had to go through several before I learned the hard way and lost lots of data.

It would appear that it's not a software problem because I have three phones (635, 640, 640 XL) all with SanDisk 64 GB cards and zero issues.

kodakhk

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Two questions:

1. Are these brand new SD card?
A: Yes. Strontium 64gb (UHS 1) & Transcend 64gb (UHC 1)

2. If you are removing them from your phone, have you selected the "safely eject hardware" button in the storage sense app? Failure to do that will damage your SD card. I had to go through several before I learned the hard way and lost lots of data.
A: Of course. I do that every time I remove the storage device.

It would appear that it's not a software problem because I have three phones (635, 640, 640 XL) all with SanDisk 64 GB cards and zero issues.

sihoughton

May 15, 2015
Visit site
I've had the same problem.
I was using a Samsung evo 32gb in my 640xl with zero issues, I upgraded it to a transcend 64gb and within 2/3 weeks it stopped saving anything.
The card became locked and was impossible to unlock via phone or multiple PC/tablets.
I have since replaced it with a Samsung evo 64gb and have had zero issues again, the transcend had a lifetime warranty so I got it exchanged but will never use transcend in my phone again.
I don't think Windows phones like transcend.

slimchap

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I've had the same problem.
I was using a Samsung evo 32gb in my 640xl with zero issues, I upgraded it to a transcend 64gb and within 2/3 weeks it stopped saving anything.
The card became locked and was impossible to unlock via phone or multiple PC/tablets.
I have since replaced it with a Samsung evo 64gb and have had zero issues again, the transcend had a lifetime warranty so I got it exchanged but will never use transcend in my phone again.
I don't think Windows phones like transcend.
Are you saying that if iIget a Samsumg evo SD Card, i wont have issues with it?

Drizzle2008

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Bought a Samsung 64GB EVO Class 10 Micro SDXC for my Lumia 640 LTE. This micro SD has given me nothing but issues. First, it wasn't recognized by my phone or PC. My camera recognized it, but only with an error message. Popped the micro SD into my brothers phone and still nothing. Put the card back in my phone and it was recognized with the option to format, so I formatted the card. My photos only showed up after creating a separate differently named folder inside the micro SD picture folder. My music files showed up with no issues, as far as showing up.

After some minutes my pictures would become grayed-out thumbnails. Clicking on the image would just show a black screen. My music files were playing fine when first placed on the phone and then an error message would pop up. My files were becoming corrupt. I placed the card in my PC to run the error scan and repair and it was unable to do so. I've been green-lit a return by Amazon, so I'll be returning it this weekend. I should be picking up a 32GB Samsung EVO+ later today, so I'll see if I have the same issues with it or not, if so, I'll be moving over to Sandisk or something else.

Got my 32GB EVO+, no issues at all. Recognized upon insertion to my phone. Photos and music aren't becoming corrupt. No error messages from phone, PC, or camera. So far, so good.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12