T-Mobile Must Consider the 640 SUPER Valuable!

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
You yourself said not long ago that you recently got your first smartphone, a Windows Phone. Your attacks on anything that is not Microsoft is rhetoric that we see here all the time. It doesn't add anything to the conversation, at least nothing helpful.

We have a poster at work that says "If you didn't test it, it DOESN'T work!" Someone as knowledgeable as yourself and with the background in developing you have should know that. You keep making these digs at other platforms, mainly Android. I know that you don't have any significant experience with them. Hence the question, "How do you know?"

You KNOW don't? Let me re-quote myself.
First smartphone was Windows Mobile 5. Upgraded from that to WP 8.1. Have used several Android as a secondary while still using my WM5 as a primary. I also know a lot of people who use Android and iPhone, and have learned a LOT from them. Just because I use a Windows Phone, does not mean I'm ignorant and out of touch. Stop being insulting, please.

Yeah, I've got experience using them. I've got family, that, because I'm the "tech" person, comes to me with every problem with their phone or to learn now to do stuff on their phones. I've learned a lot from having to use their phones to teach them about their phones, and I have researched how to use them properly, and have even jailbroken and rooted and flashed a few Androids.

You make a lot of assumptions. Just because I speak well of the Windows platform doesn't mean I haven't worked with others extensively. It's because I have worked with others extensively that it took me so long to buy a WP Smart Phone. All I saw for years (besides my WM5 device) was Android and iPhone. Had to work with them and hated it. Finally tried WP simply because it was the cheapest alternative to get a mobile hotspot with AT&T. $30 for a Lumia 520, and I fell in love with WP after that. Sorry processor and RAM, but quite smooth and it surprised me a lot.

You know, thinking about it, I can see why T-Mobile considers the 640XL so valuable! It's a pretty awesome device. LOL. Then again, it could be that they are getting their prices ready for when Comcast takes over. Haha!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't work as a salesperson for any phone company. However, I could see a reason for older customers to return Windows Phones that is unrelated to trendy apps.

A business user might get emails asking for certain files he or she is working on. The inability to attach a file other than a picture when replying to an email could be a deal-breaker to a business user.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Sure! It's just that as an avid user of devices of, get this, all 3 platforms, I happen to be quite familiar with them all. I actively use several PCs, a Macbook, a Lumia 920, a Nexus 6, and an iPad Mini. In fact, last night (probably after you went to bed) I was using devices from that whole list. You yourself said not long ago that you recently got your first smartphone, a Windows Phone. Your attacks on anything that is not Microsoft is rhetoric that we see here all the time. It doesn't add anything to the conversation, at least nothing helpful.

We have a poster at work that says "If you didn't test it, it DOESN'T work!" Someone as knowledgeable as yourself and with the background in developing you have should know that. You keep making these digs at other platforms, mainly Android. I know that you don't have any significant experience with them. Hence the question, "How do you know?"

Sure you read. I can find anything I want to find online. So can you.

Go get yourself a Moto E and try it out. You can get a Verizon model for about $50, right here on Amazon. They are GSM unlocked and you can use it on pretty much any carrier worldwide besides Sprint and US Cellular. Use it with an open mind, and see what you think. Then, I'll listen! Deal?

Thanks!

You KNOW don't? Let me re-quote myself.

Yeah, I've got experience using them. I've got family, that, because I'm the "tech" person, comes to me with every problem with their phone or to learn now to do stuff on their phones. I've learned a lot from having to use their phones to teach them about their phones, and I have researched how to use them properly, and have even jailbroken and rooted and flashed a few Androids.

You make a lot of assumptions. Just because I speak well of the Windows platform doesn't mean I haven't worked with others extensively. It's because I have worked with others extensively that it took me so long to buy a WP Smart Phone. All I saw for years (besides my WM5 device) was Android and iPhone. Had to work with them and hated it. Finally tried WP simply because it was the cheapest alternative to get a mobile hotspot with AT&T. $30 for a Lumia 520, and I fell in love with WP after that. Sorry processor and RAM, but quite smooth and it surprised me a lot.

You know, thinking about it, I can see why T-Mobile considers the 640XL so valuable! It's a pretty awesome device. LOL. Then again, it could be that they are getting their prices ready for when Comcast takes over. Haha!
Just curious, have either of you used BlackBerry?

Around 10 years ago, I saw more BlackBerry devices than anything else. A lot of people also had Palm devices.

I was the oddball, since I used Symbian.

I did later switch from Symbian to BlackBerry.

anon(5061193)

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site

Around 10 years ago, I saw more BlackBerry devices than anything else. A lot of people also had Palm devices.

I am not part of this argument (conversation) and have used Blackberry quite a bit. For a business user, who does calls,texts,emails,documents. etc... Blackberry is awesome.. I have the Classic right now and found it very user friendly, although a little boring

anon(5061193)

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I don't work as a salesperson for any phone company. However, I could see a reason for older customers to return Windows Phones that is unrelated to trendy apps.

A business user might get emails asking for certain files he or she is working on. The inability to attach a file other than a picture when replying to an email could be a deal-breaker to a business user.

You can't attach a word document to an email on WP ?? That is a big deal for me

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

OK, you are correct; I did make a lot of false assumptions. I apologize!

Android has come a long way in the last 2 or so revisions. Most of the complaints of earlier versions have been resolved. I believe the biggest valid argument against Android now is Google, not Android itself.

The fact that Android itself continues to sell like gangbusters, even low end models, while WP sales have remained relatively flat the last couple years should say something. I guess that's what I mean by "rhetoric" about cheap Androids performing poorly. If it were a big problem as portrayed here, customers wouldn't come back. But they are.

OK, I'm done! Have a great day! If you're ever in the area I'll take you out for dinner and we'll shoot the breeze. I live in middle of some of the best dining in the country outside of Manhattan! :excited:

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site

Used a Palm Pilot for many years. Had an older Blackberry, but that's been nearly 10 years or so. Was okay, but couldn't do what I could do on my Windows Mobile. I still like a few apps as far as functionality goes on my old Windows Mobile, just can't stand how slow the 300Mhz single core processor is with only 48MB RAM.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
If you're ever in the area I'll take you out for dinner and we'll shoot the breeze. I live in middle of some of the best dining in the country outside of Manhattan!

I appreciate the offer, but I'm done with city life. Hated driving in Dallas. Hated driving in Houston. Hated driving in and through LA. And other places. Live way out in the woods now, retired and happy. How about if you're ever in my neck of the woods, and I do mean woods, I can cook up a nice gourmet meal right here. 5 star quality. My family eats right... my wife and I see to that. She's the Registered Dietitian and Nutritionist and I'm the Chef. Yeah, I did the culinary school and had my own catering service for while, just because it was something I wanted to learn. Now my family eats well. ;)

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate the offer, but I'm done with city life. Hated driving in Dallas. Hated driving in Houston. Hated driving in and through LA. And other places. Live way out in the woods now, retired and happy. How about if you're ever in my neck of the woods, and I do mean woods, I can cook up a nice gourmet meal right here. 5 star quality. My family eats right... my wife and I see to that. She's the Registered Dietitian and Nutritionist and I'm the Chef. Yeah, I did the culinary school and had my own catering service for while, just because it was something I wanted to learn. Now my family eats well. ;)

Wow, you do have 5 star dining right there! I actually do live in a very rural area, but it is heavily populated for being rural. It's a touristy area, and we have great restaurants around here serving local cuisine.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

Hey, Laura - I used Symbian, too! :smile: In fact, every cell phone I had between 2002 and mid-2011 was a Nokia. The two I had from early 2009 until summer 2011 were Symbian devices. I loved the first one, wasn't so crazy about the second (but that had nothing to do with the OS).

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Haha, this is absolutely hilarious!

It's craziness like delaying phones for no logical reason that makes no sense whatsoever and makes me concerned about the future of Windows Phone; that people are still subjected to the draconian (my way or the highway) approach in 2015. We had timed exclusives in the UK when the 920 was released on an network, who charged extortionate rates, exclusive variants (such as the 64gb L1020 - O2, 32gb L925 - Vodafone) and we have the HTC One M8 for Windows locked to the US.

I am just hoping we don't end up with a similar scenario with the Windows 10 flagships.

Well, I guess all one can do is laugh about it when they (the carriers) mess up with their placeholders; since you need waaay more than just a handful of people standing up against the carriers. As long their bottom line is not being impacted negatively they will never change.

Anyway, all this talk of Symbian has made me want to dig out my old E61; it's on of the old "relics" I actually use time to time as still handy as a note taking device lol.

You can if you compose a new email, but not when replying.

True, however maybe suggest a work around?

Such as sharing a onedrive link (via copying the link to the clipboard and pasting it into the composed email)? :wink:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Haha, this is absolutely hilarious!

It's craziness like delaying phones for no logical reason that makes no sense whatsoever and makes me concerned about the future of Windows Phone; that people are still subjected to the draconian (my way or the highway) approach in 2015. We had timed exclusives in the UK when the 920 was released on an network, who charged extortionate rates, exclusive variants (such as the 64gb L1020 - O2, 32gb L925 - Vodafone) and we have the HTC One M8 for Windows locked to the US.

I am just hoping we don't end up with a similar scenario with the Windows 10 flagships.

Well, I guess all one can do is laugh about it when they (the carriers) mess up with their placeholders; since you need waaay more than just a handful of people standing up against the carriers. As long their bottom line is not being impacted negatively they will never change.

Anyway, all this talk of Symbian has made me want to dig out my old E61; it's on of the old "relics" I actually use time to time as still handy as a note taking device lol.

True, however maybe suggest a work around?

Such as sharing a onedrive link (via copying the link to the clipboard and pasting it into the composed email)? :wink:
I didn't mention OneDrive links, because that might not work for business users. There are also some people who don't use OneDrive. I have several friends who are Apple (Mac OS X and iPhone) users who don't use OneDrive.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Poor T-mobile. I like their CEO; but they are noted for such screwups. I am sure no one took the ad serious. At least I think so ??????????????????????

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I didn't mention OneDrive links, because that might not work for business users. There are also some people who don't use OneDrive. I have several friends who are Apple (Mac OS X and iPhone) users who don't use OneDrive.

Fair enough, however there are other services too - OneDrive was just an example only suggested it as it would sort-of-hook them into the microsoft ecosystem :wink: and it would may make them want to explore what other functions OneDrive has to offer. To be honest, I have found people actually prefer OneDrive over other services as they get the additional benefits of Office Online :). Plus the other pull factor is the office apps on their phones and tablets.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Fair enough, however there are other services too - OneDrive was just an example only suggested it as it would sort-of-hook them into the microsoft ecosystem :wink: and it would may make them want to explore what other functions OneDrive has to offer. To be honest, I have found people actually prefer OneDrive over other services as they get the additional benefits of Office Online :). Plus the other pull factor is the office apps on their phones and tablets.
I do use OneDrive for my Android devices.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think someone said that the stores wouldn't have them until the 20th anyway, so you should just skip that whole process and find one at Walmart.

TwoBitWhackJob

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
I used to try and convince people of what OS to use on their phone (or computing, etc). Most people find one and get locked in, anyway. My experience is that each person gets locked in and rarely changes... anyway, I found there's certain hallmarks of each system:
1. iOS - people who like to have stuff just there and not take the time to figure stuff out, etc.
2. Android - people who like to tinker and customize everything.
3. WP - somewhere in the middle.

There's other things, too, that work in there - like my niece uses WP because mom wasn't going to pay for more than a 521. I use WP because it fits into my own ecosystem of windows laptop and XBox --- why not get the easiest integration between all of them?

But then again, if we're here it's because we're more tech-y than most... so I think it goes back to the original "How techy are you?" continuum.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos