Is the t-mobile 640 rare now?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
phone thinks it is using at&t and says to call at&t to use internet sharing which is annoying. this is supposed to be unlocked but apparently not for this.

mvno carries normally disallow data sharing. Cricket has it for a $10/month surcharge. That is the only one I know of first hand.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
My dad really like his 640, and I really try not to think about how it could have been if he waited a month or so to get one. Why do they do this? I think this is the only WP with band 12 support...and VoLTE at that. I don't know if the M8 has it (someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
My dad really like his 640, and I really try not to think about how it could have been if he waited a month or so to get one. Why do they do this? I think this is the only WP with band 12 support...and VoLTE at that. I don't know if the M8 has it (someone can correct me if I'm wrong).
Yes it was odd that T-Mobile dropped it like a hot potato so quickly.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For all the crying in the media that Legere did about Microsoft when it came out that T-Mo was not getting a 950 or 950 XL: he only has the T-Mo track record of not supporting Windows Phone worth a darn for the real cause.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
mvno carries normally disallow data sharing. Cricket has it for a $10/month surcharge. That is the only one I know of first hand.
Keep in mind cricket also only allows phone they approved of to be able to use data sharing. I was going to save some cash and switch from gophone to cricket. Discovered even if I paid the $10, it doesn't male a difference because my 640 xl isn't on their list.

Shockingly enough they sell the lumia 640 and even it wasn't on the list. What was? The Lumia 635.

Besides paying $10 on top o that $35 for service literally puts me back at my $45 a month with gophers where I got data sharing free.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
For all the crying in the media that Legere did about Microsoft when it came out that T-Mo was not getting a 950 or 950 XL: he only has the T-Mo track record of not supporting Windows Phone worth a darn for the real cause.
Yep, considering AT&T tends to get the higher model, T-Mobile didn't even bother getting the 1320 when they got the 1520 for example.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Yep, considering AT&T tends to get the higher model, T-Mobile didn't even bother getting the 1320 when they got the 1520 for example.

Despite my complaints about AT&T and their pricing, they have come a long way. And I will give credit to their favor that they carried Windows phone devices when no one else would. TheL640XL, L950 and L950 XL models being no exception.

Oneill5491

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Forgive me if this is a noob question, but what is different with the AT&T variant of the 640? Does part of it work on different bands than T-mo so it wouldn't get full functionality or something? Because I was thinking of getting the AT&T version and unlocking it for use on a T-Mo MVNO.

If that wouldn't work, would someone care to recommend me a similar spec'ed phone for under $100 (preferably around $60-70) that's T-mo MVNO compliant (unlocked or unlockable)?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Forgive me if this is a noob question, but what is different with the AT&T variant of the 640? Does part of it work on different bands than T-mo so it wouldn't get full functionality or something? Because I was thinking of getting the AT&T version and unlocking it for use on a T-Mo MVNO.

If that wouldn't work, would someone care to recommend me a similar spec'ed phone for under $100 (preferably around $60-70) that's T-mo MVNO compliant (unlocked or unlockable)?
It's not a noob question. It would work but probably no volte, and especially no wifi calling. If those things don't matter, it should be okay.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Do you get WiFi calling on this mvno? That is the #1 thing people miss with unlocked phones on Mainline T-Mo: no WiFi calling App. Maybe it is a moot point with the mvno.

Another issue for Windows Phone on T-Mo is lack of support for the VVM baked into the Windows Phone OS. You can work around that with a YouMail Account on the web that syncs to your phone via the ISeeVM App.

Lastly, on the GoPhone, I do not know if the 1700 (AWS) band is enabled for H+. This band is required for H+ data speed in some T-Mo areas not refarmed for LTE and without LTE or that band, all you get is EDGE. If you are in a strong T-Mo LTE area it won't matter if the H+ AWS is missing.

barber76

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
...all indications so far, that with unlocked AT&T 640 you also mysteriously lose SMS delivery confirmation option...
Sorry for beating this issue multiple times in one day - still can't calm down after revealing it.

newsletters4me

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I am using unlocked AT&T Lumia 640 on T-Mobile and can confirm that LTE on band 2 and 4 are working. Visual Voice Mail works as well.
So far VoLTE and Wifi calling is not working. Since band 12 is a subset of band 17, I am hoping that T-Mobile band 12 will work as well, however, I am unable to verify it as there is no band 12 in my area.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
...all indications so far, that with unlocked AT&T 640 you also mysteriously lose SMS delivery confirmation option...
Sorry for beating this issue multiple times in one day - still can't calm down after revealing it.
One of the annoyances of Windows Mobile is they don't have any "Sending" indicator or outbox, so you can never be truly sure it's sent. Many a time, I wondered why someone didn't respond to a particular message, only to have it reappear minutes later with "Can't send Message". At least if I could 'see' it was having trouble sending when I really did need to send a message, I could then try and move to a better signal area (if indeed that was the problem at the time). Turning on delivery confirmation for every message is a bit of an overkill in this case.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I noticed that all the Walmarts in the my surrounding areas are out of stock as well as walmart.com itself. I guess this "officially" signals the end of the T-Mobile variant?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes