$39.00 Lumia 640 Microsoft deal!

DEATH INC

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
I received my unlock codes for the 3 phones I purchased at Best Buy. I used Field Test to view the active bands in the phone and Band 12 is not listed. :( So I believe the previous info that I had read saying that AT&T disabled Band 12.

Yeah, the two I purchased and unlocked from the Microsoft store do not show band 12 (700mhz) as well. Just like others have said the hardware supports it but I imagine the ATT firmware has it locked off.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, the two I purchased and unlocked from the Microsoft store do not show band 12 (700mhz) as well. Just like others have said the hardware supports it but I imagine the ATT firmware has it locked off.

Ahh. I'm kind of concerned now, but I still tried with an unlock request anyway. If all else fails, my brother can use it as a tester.

Bob Hanson

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
The phone works. Band 12 is not available. It is not available because AT&T disabled Band 12 in the ROM that they provided with their version of the 640. I had no problem buying the AT&T phones and getting them unlocked (submitted request on 11/28 as "Non-AT&T Mobility Customers", received a "Your request for device unlock requires additional research to determine eligibility" on 12/1 email, received unlock codes yesterday 12/2).

Hopefully the recently created tool to more easily modify ROMs for windows mobile in conjunction with the official release of windows 10 will make it easier to modify ROMs so that a feature like this (Band 12) can be unlocked by a custom ROM.

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
The phone works. Band 12 is not available. It is not available because AT&T disabled Band 12 in the ROM that they provided with their version of the 640. I had no problem buying the AT&T phones and getting them unlocked (submitted request on 11/28 as "Non-AT&T Mobility Customers", received a "Your request for device unlock requires additional research to determine eligibility" on 12/1 email, received unlock codes yesterday 12/2).

Hopefully the recently created tool to more easily modify ROMs for windows mobile in conjunction with the official release of windows 10 will make it easier to modify ROMs so that a feature like this (Band 12) can be unlocked by a custom ROM.

Well that sounds encouraging (while I don't really understand much of it ;-)
So are you using it on TMo or Lycamobile?

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

Unfortunately the bootloader crack that has been released (wpinternals.net) doesn't work on the 640. If it did, you could simply flash the t-mobile ROM (assuming the hardware is identical).

Bob Hanson

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately the bootloader crack that has been released (wpinternals.net) doesn't work on the 640. If it did, you could simply flash the t-mobile ROM (assuming the hardware is identical).
Yes I'm aware of that but that tool puts thing much closer than things were previously. Holding out hope... :smile:

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
The other hope is whenever one of the Latin American or other RM-1037 firmware is updated to a version newer than what shipped from ATT, trying the same trick as works for the 635 and then flashing whatever you want on it after. No telling how long that might be.

FancyFreddy

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Just got my 3 Lumia 640s from Bestbuy online that I ordered at 12:01am on Friday.

I submitted requests to unlock using 3 different email accounts (as a precaution) and I am awaiting the unlock codes now. $33 with tax for each.

I believe in europe, only bands 3/7/20 are needed for 90% of the countries with LTE. I am already on AT&T but plan to bring with me my unlocked 640s to pawn/sell over there next year. ;)

charktorious

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the tips so far....Lumia 635 user here, jumped on the $39 AT&T 640 deal, received it, did the unlock procedure as suggested and got my unlock in three days (on Day Two I got the "Under Review" email, I suspect they do that within 48 hours as some auto-send).

T-Mo user, and have confirmed 1) no Wifi-Calling and 2) no Band 12. Then I tried to research unbranding the device but it sounds like all the usual tricks don't work (yet). On the fence to keep this thing, but I guess at $40 and if I can live without Wifi calling, it's still a step-up from my 635. And maybe one day a procedure can be created to unlock.

What really burns me up is that I would have paid $100 for a T-Mo device, just for the not having to wait for Band 12. But I can't find these 640's anywhere except on eBay. What the heck happened? The 640, from what I've seen so far, is just as nice as I expected it to be. I know it's got low market share but they did have it in stores for like a month or two.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the tips so far....Lumia 635 user here, jumped on the $39 AT&T 640 deal, received it, did the unlock procedure as suggested and got my unlock in three days (on Day Two I got the "Under Review" email, I suspect they do that within 48 hours as some auto-send).

T-Mo user, and have confirmed 1) no Wifi-Calling and 2) no Band 12. Then I tried to research unbranding the device but it sounds like all the usual tricks don't work (yet). On the fence to keep this thing, but I guess at $40 and if I can live without Wifi calling, it's still a step-up from my 635. And maybe one day a procedure can be created to unlock.

What really burns me up is that I would have paid $100 for a T-Mo device, just for the not having to wait for Band 12. But I can't find these 640's anywhere except on eBay. What the heck happened? The 640, from what I've seen so far, is just as nice as I expected it to be. I know it's got low market share but they did have it in stores for like a month or two.

That is pretty much what happened. After being available for 3 months, that was a wrap :/

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Got the ATT 640 unlocked and using Lycamobile (TMo MVNO)
Can't see the setting for SMS confirmation.
Using the same Lycamobile SIM on my TMo branded Lumia 521 there is a toggle under Messaging/settings but no such toggle is present on the 640
Is this blocked by ATT in the hardware?

Justice Ezeigbo

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Bought 5 640s during the black friday deals, sent unlock request to att for the five phones last week friday and got the unlock code for two immediately while three phones code are still pending

UPDATE...
I received unlock code for two phones while one was declined.
I have reapplied for the unlock code for the declined phone, now fingers crossed

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Got the ATT 640 unlocked and using Lycamobile (TMo MVNO)
Can't see the setting for SMS confirmation.
Using the same Lycamobile SIM on my TMo branded Lumia 521 there is a toggle under Messaging/settings but no such toggle is present on the 640
Is this blocked by ATT in the hardware?

I don't get why, but it could be possible. The weird thing is that the T-mobile variant (which is almost like a unicorn - noticed that it is completely gone from Walmart's site now), has these toggles and also WiFi is built into the firmware.

Justice Ezeigbo

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Bought 5 640s during the black friday deals, sent unlock request to att for the five phones last week friday and got the unlock code for two immediately while three phones code are still pending

UPDATE...
I received unlock code for two phones while one was declined.
I have reapplied for the unlock code for the declined phone, now fingers crossed

Finally got the unlock code for the last phone, so all five l640 I got from 40$ Microsoft store deal as been unlocked successfully.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3