Battery Life Question

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Daughter away at school and complains new ATT branded unlocked Lumia 640 doesn't last the day.
Not sure what the issue might be.
I didn't make any changes to the stock settings.
Are there any settings that can conserve power?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If she is using any social media apps like facebook, messenger etc which most teens do these days (which is normal) then no, it won't last the day.

Have a look in the battery saver app and see the usage :).

In regards to conserving power you can lower the brightness of the screen and turn off what runs in the background.

Additionally you can get a power bank that can top up the charge on the phone through out the day or a spare battery.

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Oh those children do like their facebooking machines! ;-)
I will check the battery saver app and review the cat video count etc.
Thanks for the suggestions. From the reviews and specs, the L640 battery should be considered high-capacity for this lower power phone.
sent from my Smith Corona typewriter

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Not to mention that some games will be heavy on battery. In general of all smartphones, screens are the largest battery hog. Just reading and scrolling for long periods of time will eat battery.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Oh those children do like their facebooking machines! ;-)
I will check the battery saver app and review the cat video count etc.
Thanks for the suggestions. From the reviews and specs, the L640 battery should be considered high-capacity for this lower power phone.
sent from my Smith Corona typewriter

Battery life is subjective at best :), what may seem like light usage to some would be heavy usage for others.

Let us know how it goes :).

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Have her turn off most things in "Background apps" i myself switch off about 60% of them and check the list every so often...I easily get a full day. Also tell her to use dark themes on apps.

I manually check that BT is off when not using it.

windobuddies625

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia 1320 battery drains without me using it also. Started recently after I hard reset it. Did a software re install also via WDRT. Still behaving weird. It used to give me over a day before that hard reset.

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Checked last night.
NFC, bluetooth and wifi OFF. I turned off apps running in background and still drained 15% overnight. Eliminated People Live Tile from front page. There is a rotating picture tile present. Does this eat battery?
Back at school now but I will get feedback in a few days.
Largest use listed under battery saver was under messaging.
Let's say an average of 50 texts and a 5-10 calls a day, how much should that drain the battery with very little if any cell or wifi data usage?
Trying to stop any possible leaks.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Do you keep cellular data on? Do you have multiple email accounts and social network apps (facebook, twitter, etc). If you have a few of these frequent updates, it could be part of the culprit. Under people, are you pulling updates from Facebook and any other social media? The flipping tiles should not be an issue.

By chance is your glance screen turned to always on? Third could be another factor.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Have a feeling the daughters social media/messaging is grand central station. Also that you are leaving on Facebook and other social media stuff to run always in the background.

Solutions:

1. External Battery pack

-or-

2. Cut out social media/messaging addiction

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Report from the front lines:
She is not a Facebooker but I will check the settings
I eliminated People Live Tile by installing FREE Almost Metro Contact Manager
Seems previous changes are helping with 50% at end of day but still seems high with just 50 texts and 6 calls.
Was reading that Live tile for MSN weather app might be gobbling battery. Will shut that down and reevaluate.
Could rotating photo on front screen be a drain?

gtdad

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
One thing to consider is the strength of the cell phone signal. If she is in a weak area where the phone is constantly searching for a signal, that will drain your battery significantly. I have a lot of background data including 6 email accounts, twitter, news, finance, etch., and I always end the day with 50-60% battery. But I am in an area with a very strong cell signal and I use a lot of WiFi.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Report from the front lines:
She is not a Facebooker but I will check the settings
I eliminated People Live Tile by installing FREE Almost Metro Contact Manager
Seems previous changes are helping with 50% at end of day but still seems high with just 50 texts and 6 calls.
Was reading that Live tile for MSN weather app might be gobbling battery. Will shut that down and reevaluate.
Could rotating photo on front screen be a drain?

She is very likely not telling you the full truth..she is likely doing tons of social networking , video stuff and or messaging...to get that amount of battery drain on a 640..they lie or don't tell dad everything (away a school) .

May not be FB but something else..maybe You Tube, Video texts or Instagram. Battery drain is almost always User Behavior and not the device with an efficient OS and huge battery. Kids don't use SMS or make Calls they use messaging apps.

Females like that social thing. I know I'm married to one. It can be addictive and a battery drainer.

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
She is very likely not telling you the full truth..she is likely doing tons of social networking , video stuff and or messaging...to get that amount of battery drain on a 640..they lie or don't tell dad everything (away a school) .

May not be FB but something else..maybe You Tube, Video texts or Instagram. Battery drain is almost always User Behavior and not the device with an efficient OS and huge battery. Kids don't use SMS or make Calls they use messaging apps.

Females like that social thing. I know I'm married to one. It can be addictive and a battery drainer.
I agree. I go to school with this phone and I end in the 80% range. She is probably on it all day.

Bilven Parikh

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I also own a M640DS. when no use of wifi & mobile network a phone will used for a Music and Calls nothing more and gives me a 2 Days battery life. I never turned off location and yes i use many social Apps, a Torrent Download app, 4 Email account be synced after every 30 mins. Still nothing effected. 640 has 2500mAh of Battery which gives a lot time to be spend with your phone without internet. And when WiFi full day and Mobile Network at home it gives me atleast 1day and 15Hours of Battery backup. and about night it drains hardly 1 to 2 percent of battery and with battery saver mode no single percentage of battery drains off. so might be there will be a problem with your battery. and you can report this to Microsoft Customer Care near you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes