NFC with W10

Bob Hanson

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I don't usually have a reason to use NFC but today I went looking for the settings and I can't find NFC. The Lumia 640 supports NFC but is it currently unavailable with W10M? If it is available where do I find the settings to turn it on/off?

ma678

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
I have a NFC tag that turns off wifi and turns on Bluetooth; however, my 640 doesn't do anything when reading the tag. What does nfc really do on windows 10? Thanks.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Originally posted by ma678
I have a NFC tag that turns off wifi and turns on Bluetooth; however, my 640 doesn't do anything when reading the tag. What does nfc really do on windows 10? Thanks.

Sounds like you have an NFC tag that was already programmed by an Android device. Windows 10 Mobile NFC does not allow "multiple actions" with NFC that would turn off WiFi and turn on Bluetooth. That's an Android thing. I wish it had it, believe me.

You can set up to "open the Wi-Fi settings", then have another tag "open Bluetooth settings", but you still have to manually tap the switch to turn on or off.

For your particular case, Windows 10 Mobile has a MUCH easier way than using NFC tags (because you don't have to have the NFC tag handy), by simply pulling down the notification center and tapping WiFi and Bluetooth. Voila! You just toggled them both on/off. It's fast and easy. Okay, it's not easier than an NFC automatically toggling multiple settings, but it's better than the Windows 10 Mobile way of opening up settings, one at a time, each with a different (and relatively expensive) NFC tag.

What do I do with NFC?
  • I have an NFC tag on my refrigerator, which is a magnetic, on-metal tag, with a picture label attached with the icon of an app. It's my grocery shopping app. I get ready to make a grocery list, I'm in the kitchen to do my inventory, and I tap the magnet on the fridge. Voila, I'm making a list.
  • I also have a tag on my microwave that opens my recipe program.
  • I have a tag embedded in my cradle in my vehicle that opens up Microsoft Maps.
  • I have a tag on my Bluetooth speaker that opens up Groove Music.
  • I also have a tag on my laptop that opens up my Mobile Hotspot settings.
  • I have a tag on my nightstand cradle that opens "Night Stand Clock."
I find the use case for what I do with it to be quite effective. For most other things, while I'm out and mobile, I usually use Cortana to launch stuff, as my Bluetooth headset has a button that allows a single tap to activate Cortana, and it's quick and easy to use without having to pull out and fiddle with my phone. I can say, "Turn off Wi-Fi" or "Turn on Wi-Fi" and it is done. However, while I can say, "Turn off Bluetooth", it will disconnect my headset. I generally leave that on all the time.

Last edited:

ma678

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for your detailed explanation.

So NFC on W10M is still on a very early stage.

I programmed my NFC with my BlackBerry OS10 device and it works with all other BlackBerry devices quite well.

Sounds like you have an NFC tag that was already programmed by an Android device. Windows 10 Mobile NFC does not allow "multiple actions" with NFC that would turn off WiFi and turn on Bluetooth. That's an Android thing. I wish it had it, believe me.

You can set up to "open the Wi-Fi settings", then have another tag "open Bluetooth settings", but you still have to manually tap the switch to turn on or off.

For your particular case, Windows 10 Mobile has a MUCH easier way than using NFC tags (because you don't have to have the NFC tag handy), by simply pulling down the notification center and tapping WiFi and Bluetooth. Voila! You just toggled them both on/off. It's fast and easy. Okay, it's not easier than an NFC automatically toggling multiple settings, but it's better than the Windows 10 Mobile way of opening up settings, one at a time, each with a different (and relatively expensive) NFC tag.

What do I do with NFC?
  • I have an NFC tag on my refrigerator, which is a magnetic, on-metal tag, with a picture label attached with the icon of an app. It's my grocery shopping app. I get ready to make a grocery list, I'm in the kitchen to do my inventory, and I tap the magnet on the fridge. Voila, I'm making a list.
  • I also have a tag on my microwave that opens my recipe program.
  • I have a tag embedded in my cradle in my vehicle that opens up Microsoft Maps.
  • I have a tag on my Bluetooth speaker that opens up Groove Music.
  • I also have a tag on my laptop that opens up my Mobile Hotspot settings.
  • I have a tag on my nightstand cradle that opens "Night Stand Clock."
I find the use case for what I do with it to be quite effective. For most other things, while I'm out and mobile, I usually use Cortana to launch stuff, as my Bluetooth headset has a button that allows a single tap to activate Cortana, and it's quick and easy to use without having to pull out and fiddle with my phone. I can say, "Turn off Wi-Fi" or "Turn on Wi-Fi" and it is done. However, while I can say, "Turn off Bluetooth", it will disconnect my headset. I generally leave that on all the time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes