Unlocked Lumia 640 on Walmart Family Mobile Data Issues

cmfooballcoach

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Hoping someone has some insight. I purchased 3 Lumia 640s and got them unlocked from ATT. I purchased and activated sims from Walmart Family Mobile. It uses T-Mobile as a carrier. I can receive calls and texts but I have been unable to get the mobile data to work. I've tried all the listed APN info, to no effect. I've contacted C/S at Walmart Family Mobile and they have no answer. I am at my wits end. I've attempted every APN setting possible in both 8.1 and now 10. Does anyone have any clue what I have going on? I've seen several people on here that have the same phone and carrier....hopefully someone has some insight. Thanks in advance.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 could cause more difficulty.

I know you've probably checked this.
Under "Cellular+SIM (8.1) was Data connection set to on?

I'd have to check this setting for WM10 however I think it's the same.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Moving to 10 will change the APN settings.
Under WM10 at the SIM settings is the active network showing as "T-Mobile"
Under internet APN do you have "fast.t-mobile.com" set?

Bob Hanson

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
My phone data stopped working with W10 after I flashed my phone from at&t to tmo. I had to do a hard reset and then data started work again.

cmfooballcoach

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
My data hasn't worked from day one. I've done 2 hard resets, every possible combo of APN settings. Bob, what are your settings? I still have 2 of the phones running 8.1. I haven't flashed mine over to Tmo yet, but I wonder if that would help me to get the setup I need to make the data work.

cmfooballcoach

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
To the point where I am going to turn off the data. If someone has an APN answer, or something that might be preventing my data from working, PLEASE PM me.

papasurf

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I did some reading and looking around and came up with an idea. Go to a T-Mobile retail store. Let them pop in a T-Mobile SIM and try it out there in store. I am on the same phone, unlocked L640 on T-Mobile and I get screaming full data speeds. It might be some hangup with the way Family Mobile is configured or provisioned for your account. Worth a shot and peace of mind. I didn't have to change anything for mine to work, no APN or other setting changes whatsoever. Then I went and bought 3 more of these phones and sent my iPhone back :)

barber76

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I use ATT unlocked 640 on Wfm with data plan. Works fine, and I don't remember doing anything special for it. Couple of screenshots below.
wp_ss_20160307_0001.jpgwp_ss_20160307_0002.jpg

Bob Hanson

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
My data hasn't worked from day one. I've done 2 hard resets, every possible combo of APN settings. Bob, what are your settings? I still have 2 of the phones running 8.1. I haven't flashed mine over to Tmo yet, but I wonder if that would help me to get the setup I need to make the data work.

My phone is using "Default APN Activated" which does not allow me to view any settings. So whatever the defaults are for TMobile are working.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon