Lumia 640 T-Mobile windows 10

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure what I did. I got sick of waiting so I installed the windows insider app. Then I ran the Windows upgrade advisor app. It gave me confirmation Windows 10 upgrade was available. It seemed weird, because it didn't seem to be part of windows insider. I then uninstalled windows insider and ran the windows upgrade advisor app again and it said my phone was still ready for upgrade. I had to delete a bunch of stuff to make room for the update and once it was all done it installed windows 10 version 1511 OS build 10.0.10586.107

Anyway, just thought I'd pass this along and see if anyone else has had Windows 10 confirmation too.
No way. I need to find the support pages but I'm on mobile at the moment so I can't.

Sent from mTalk

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what I did. I got sick of waiting so I installed the windows insider app. Then I ran the Windows upgrade advisor app. It gave me confirmation Windows 10 upgrade was available. It seemed weird, because it didn't seem to be part of windows insider. I then uninstalled windows insider and ran the windows upgrade advisor app again and it said my phone was still ready for upgrade. I had to delete a bunch of stuff to make room for the update and once it was all done it installed windows 10 version 1511 OS build 10.0.10586.107

Anyway, just thought I'd pass this along and see if anyone else has had Windows 10 confirmation too.

PS: Can you confirm if you still have the T-Mo WiFi calling feature?

seVen_S

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
As far as I can tell it does. When I go to make a call the Wi-Fi symbol is showing instead of LTE. I don't know a 100% way of knowing for sure though.

boonesmi

May 17, 2015
Visit site
As far as I can tell it does. When I go to make a call the Wi-Fi symbol is showing instead of LTE. I don't know a 100% way of knowing for sure though.
is this after a reboot? its not unusual for wifi calling to work right after upgrade, but it doesn't stick past the first reboot.

also i just checked upgrade advisor on mine (still on 8.1) and its saying win10 upgrade is not available.

but if the latest version of w10 has working wifi calling then ill probably upgrade through insider :)

seVen_S

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
is this after a reboot? its not unusual for wifi calling to work right after upgrade, but it doesn't stick past the first reboot.

also i just checked upgrade advisor on mine (still on 8.1) and its saying win10 upgrade is not available.

but if the latest version of w10 has working wifi calling then ill probably upgrade through insider :)

If by reboot you mean turning the phone off then on I'm doing so right now. Just dialed my voicemail and local weather forecast. Both calls went through fine while showing the WI-Fi symbol.

I really don't know if I upgraded via insider or if it just triggered the Windows Upgrade Advisor to say my phone was ready. I don't have windows insider on my phone. Like I said before. I uninstalled it after seeing my phone was ready and upgraded via the Update Advisor app. I'm not very tech savvy...

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site

Could you change the Wi-Fi Calling setting to Wi-Fi only (as opposed to Wi-Fi preferred or cellular preferred) and then try placing a call? Every single T-mobile phone that I have that is capable of Wi-Fi calling will still work if I set them to Wi-Fi only. You can find this setting in SIM settings.

wp_ss_20160813_0001.png

seVen_S

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
OK, I just changed it to wifi-only. I went to make a call and it said to turn on my cellular connection? Your phone is in airplane mode. To make a call turn on your cellular connection.. I guess that would indicate no wifi calling. I don't plan on going back to windows 8.1 now. Hope I didn't give you all high hopes. I'm just not in an area that needs wifi calling so it's cool by me. I just deleted the upgrade app and hope I can get by. Next time I'm going android, unless a deal is too good to pass up. I really love how all my stuff is in sync with my desktop windows 10, but you can pretty much do the same on android.I think...

Last edited:

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Already 5 months have gone by. I am questioning whether the WiFi calling is the cause of the hold up since the Alcatel has it and I can't imagine the firmware that was written for this phone would be that markedly different between the 210 and 400 chipsets.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, or they might have stopped caring about releasing it. It's amusing that even AT&T's 830, which is "old" in phone years even got it.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, or they might have stopped caring about releasing it. It's amusing that even AT&T's 830, which is "old" in phone years even got it.
I guess companies always try to avoid saying unambiguously that they've discontinued anything to avoid users using anything they may say against them. They just keep quiet since they know users will eventually get tired of waiting and move on. You'll notice Microsoft did the same with the Lumias. They never officially really said they were discontinuing them completely outright either. We had to rely on tech websites to interpret that for us.

Last edited:

Bob Hanson

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
tmobile updated their app. Launched and it told me to turn off wifi and connect via the tmobile network. Perhaps a glimmer of hope that they could use that to push firmware update? And no, I did not receive an update.

Nathanael Lusk

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
I hope that's something! I'm really really hoping they push something. I have been on phone calls and Twitter and email to see when they are going to push out some update. My question is, will I get it? See I have a 640 that came with the black backing, but the seller didn't tell it had the Att death star thing on it. When it boots it says T-Mobile on the screen. So I'm thinking my 640 was flashed with T-Mobile. How? I don't know

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I hope that's something! I'm really really hoping they push something. I have been on phone calls and Twitter and email to see when they are going to push out some update. My question is, will I get it? See I have a 640 that came with the black backing, but the seller didn't tell it had the Att death star thing on it. When it boots it says T-Mobile on the screen. So I'm thinking my 640 was flashed with T-Mobile. How? I don't know

It was flashed. There is a way to do that.

boonesmi

May 17, 2015
Visit site
With the Lumia's all but finally winding down I would be very surprised now if T-Mobile finally released a Windows 10 upgrade for this phone.
yeah i held out hope for a long time, but it has slowly faded away :(

just an FYI: the reason for the delay on the tmobile version was because of the bug identified beta testing of w10m (dealing with a 3rd party driver and ims registration. after several months microsoft engineers identified the problem and found a solution. the problem is that the fix needs to be done on a firmware level.

so back in january microsoft submitted the firmware fix to tmobile. all they needed to do was certify it and send it out OTA. well it seems tmobile didn't consider it worth the effort (minimal effort, since MS did all the work finding and fixing the problem)

edit to add:
another FYI some might find interesting
if tmo had pushed the firmware fix, then MS would officially push w10m. this is the reason tmo users need to go "insider" if they want w10m.
and as for my household (two tmo 640's) only one can run win10, the other has to stay on win8.1 since it used in a big office building during the day, and needs band 12 and all of the services that can run on LTE (ie. volte)

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
yeah i held out hope for a long time, but it has slowly faded away :(

just an FYI: the reason for the delay on the tmobile version was because of the bug identified beta testing of w10m (dealing with a 3rd party driver and ims registration. after several months microsoft engineers identified the problem and found a solution. the problem is that the fix needs to be done on a firmware level.

so back in january microsoft submitted the firmware fix to tmobile. all they needed to do was certify it and send it out OTA. well it seems tmobile didn't consider it worth the effort (minimal effort, since MS did all the work finding and fixing the problem)

edit to add:
another FYI some might find interesting
if tmo had pushed the firmware fix, then MS would officially push w10m. this is the reason tmo users need to go "insider" if they want w10m.
and as for my household (two tmo 640's) only one can run win10, the other has to stay on win8.1 since it used in a big office building during the day, and needs band 12 and all of the services that can run on LTE (ie. volte)
I'm guessing that perhaps it's because T-Mobile doesn't want to have to deal with support calls from customers upgrading to Windows 10 Mobile on a model they have long since discontinued?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes