Serious Battery Drain Lumia 640 LTE

anon(9819583)

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
Hello, me again ... One of the biggest battery hogs on my Lumia 640 LTE, used to be the messaging+skype app for Windows 10 Mobile but with their separation then introduction of the Skype Preview app, that became a thing of the past. Microsoft's Edge browser, however, has persisted in spectacularly draining most of the juice on my phone ever since the big upgrade and I can't figure out why.
I'm sharing these screenshots of my phone's battery usage monitoring info and maybe you guys can tell me if this is normal or something's wrong somewhere. I've tried everything from soft and hard resets, never allowing Edge to run in the background, changing to the dark theme for the phone and disabling a whole bunch of apps. The only app that consumes double digit percentage numbers in terms of drain is specifically Edge
I'm constantly on the phone, mostly shuttling back and forth between the Groove, Twitter, Instagram, Windows Central and Edge but why is it ONLY Edge that seriously drains the battery?

OS Build: 10.0.14393.321
Version: 1607
Firmware: 02177.00000.15221.30003
MS Edge: 38.14393.321.0
MS EdgeHTML: 14.14393

Screenshots feature usage over a 1 week period, a 24 hour period and a 6 hour period

bat-usage.jpg

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
could you tell us the rate at which you loose battery percentage per hour? apart from battery app if you could map how much battery your device is consuming after a 100% charge in an hour that should tell us more about this .

future cumulative updates should fix this, as you have already tested all the possible solutions like soft and hard reset. So imo it will be best to wait until the next CU and upvote this on feedback app. The next CU is expected on 8th November.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Edge is a serious battery drainer, sadly.

Also, dark theme does nothing for your device's battery life since it is IPS LCD and not OLED.

anon(9819583)

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
could you tell us the rate at which you loose battery percentage per hour? apart from battery app if you could map how much battery your device is consuming after a 100% charge in an hour that should tell us more about this .

future cumulative updates should fix this, as you have already tested all the possible solutions like soft and hard reset. So imo it will be best to wait until the next CU and upvote this on feedback app. The next CU is expected on 8th November.

What app can I accurately do that with?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
So much for that little piece of advice from MS themselves regarding light/dark themes and battery life ...

It's half correct. For the phones that have OLED, such the 950s, 650, 730/735 and another one I'm forgetting, that tip is correct. The thing I like about LCD is that it gives you a choice, without losing battery life.

anon(9819583)

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
you only need a notepad and a pen to do that, keep track of how much percentage you loose each hour after a full recharge. :)

after extensively using that notepad and pen :) ... here's what I got: If I do absolutely nothing with the phone an hour after it's completely full, the battery percentage remains in the 90s, between 97% and 91%; if, however, I immediately start using it after it's 100% full (twitter, Instagram, edge), then battery goes down to between 81% and 76% after just one hour. It then remains in the 70s for the next hour after that first one. From then on, it drops again to the 60s after hour three then remains in the 50-40 percentage range for the most part. If I charged it up in the morning, then it'll be in the 30s at around 3pm (this varies sometimes though). Past 5pm is when I get the first low battery warning when it gets to 20%. Within an hour after that, it gets to 10% then subsequently stays below 10% until I finally plug it in at between 4% and 6%

Nahk786

Feb 26, 2017
Visit site
The battery drain was a universal issue and MS released a firmware upgrade which has solved the issue and now the battery drainage has been plugged.
Windows Version/OS Build 10.0.14393.693
Version: 1607
Firmware revision number: 02177.00000.15184.36002

Just check for updates in Settings>Update & Security>Phone Update and if a new build is available download, install and restore peace with your device.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2