On Screen Keys Instead of Capacitive?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The latest article from Windows Central with some new renders is now edited to say that the 950 and 950 XL will actually have on screen keys instead of capacitive... Our Lumia 950 XL (Cityman) renders show what could be Microsoft's upcoming phone | Windows Central

Rubino again stated it in a tweet.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That is a bummer, but aren't they making On Screen keys smarter in 10? I also know that double-tap-to-sleep only works with onscreen and not capacitive.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't think on screen keys scream "unreliable or cheap" at all. In fact, software keys would be more reliable, as hardware buttons can wear out over time. (Like the Cortana/search button on my 1520 has started having a mind of it's own lately, and launches Cortana randomly) Software buttons can also be updated and programmed with added functionality. Add the smaller bezel advantage, and it's clear; hardware capacitive buttons are becoming a thing of the past.

the_thunderbird

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree with Ed. At first I was disappointed this morning but then I just realized I was unfamiliar with it so had resistant feelings.

On further reflection I appreciated the larger available screen real estate, and I have had two phones replaced as a result of their buttons - never had a digital one die!

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't think on screen keys scream "unreliable or cheap" at all. In fact, software keys would be more reliable, as hardware buttons can wear out over time.

I had an HTC Trophy, a Lumia 822, and now a Lumia Icon. None of them have ever even shown remote signs of capacative button wear. I also haven't seen many reports of it on this forum. That must be an extremely rare occurrence.

Software buttons can also be updated and programmed with added functionality.

You can program and update functionality to hardware buttons too. It's more work, but it's doable. And as a result, they're more stable and predictable.

Add the smaller bezel advantage

This is really the only clear advantage, in my opinion.

hardware capacitive buttons are becoming a thing of the past.

This might be true. I'll probably just have to deal with it.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, its a trend in most phones, like the HTC One M8, Nexus phones, Moto X...

Honestly, I'd like them because then the backlit keys won't blind me at night.

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
If the keys are gonna be onscreen why not just give us a full 6 inch screen?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I very much disagree that onscreen buttons make for a cheap and "unreliable" experience. After having changed over to my G3, I've gotten wonderful features such as minimal bezels, buttons that can be rearranged, and that's really about it. It's honestly not as earth shattering as everyone is making it out to be. The buttons are still under glass, they don't depress, and largely are on the same side.

sooo... yeah. On screen buttons are quite convenient, don't cheap the feel of the experience, and shouldn't be shunned.

Alfa Kapa

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
With every single recent WP (except 532/435) having on screen buttons, this was expected.

One ''good'' thing with o.s.b. on flagships is that more apps will take advantage of them, just like tubecast did with the super useful back button on the top left!
So on screen buttons are just fine by me. (and double tap to sleep is actually very useful)

I only like regular (old school) buttons as they don't bring along all the disadvantages of capacitive or on screen buttons,
but I guess no manufacturer will carry those buttons in the post 2016 era, because of reasons.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
recently bought my elderly father a lumia 435, wanted an entry level type device, his first windows phone (he still had 1st gen iphone - without app ability!), i was going to go for a "better" model, but they all had mostly software buttons

knowing how when something disappears when the screen goes off would just confuse him more, decided that capacitive buttons, crazily, was to become almost the number 1 feature, so 435 it was, if the 630 had hard buttons, he would now own that, or something similar.

now he can join the world of apps and communicate with us via whatsapp, but i think i agree with others, hardware buttons shouldn't be done away with, for many reasons. - and make them ALL light up microsoft! was disappointed that 435 are just painted on, not backlit which i thought!

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
To me, this is disappointing on so many levels. I get the argument for a smaller bezel due to no off screen buttons. But capacitive buttons scream high end. On screen screams unreliable and cheap. That's my opinion. I would pay more capacitive if that's what it came down to. Anyone else?
If I could Like this post 15 times I would. In addition, on screen buttons just shorten your screen length. Yeah, you get full screen viewing during games and media but the rest of the time that 4.5 inch screen is actually something like 4.3. It blows.

distilledoreo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
One thing that always happens with the capacitive buttons on my 925 is accidental presses. Now, I don't mean the kind where you're using your phone and Cortana accidentally pops up. When I give my phone to someone else (usually someone older) to show them a video or picture on my phone, they hold the phone by the top and bottom bezel. I have no idea why they do it, but then they end up in a totally different place and have to hand the phone back to me. With onscreen buttons, this probably wouldn't be an issue because they know not to put their hands on the screen. Also, when I had a Nexus 4, I made it so the navigation buttons were always hidden and were used with gestures instead. The phone looked so nice and clean after that. In addition to that, the Lumia clearblack displays (if that's what it's called) will make the phone look very clean and sleek when the screen is off.

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I remember a Sony phone I saw a while back with a separate minidisplay for the capacitive keys. I think the OnePlus models do that as well. That would be cool

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
830 capacitive keys are the WORST ever. You can't even use a screen cover or Search button stops working.

That's odd... Are you sure your screen protector is on correct?

I never use a screen protector because Lumia's are typically fine without it. Unless you're in the sand a lot or something like that.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
That's odd... Are you sure your screen protector is on correct?

I never use a screen protector because Lumia's are typically fine without it. Unless you're in the sand a lot or something like that.

Oh yes. The button barely works with a finger alone - we don't use a protector because of this.

My wife's 830 is the same.

And neither of our 920's ever had this problem.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well there are advantages to this:
  1. More screen real estate when keys not in use
  2. You don't get blinded by the capacitive keys when you unlock your phone in the dark
  3. No more accidental back or search key presses when playing games
  4. Possibility of increasing / decreasing the on screen key sizes
  5. Possibility of key mapping or changing the icons of keys (in case some OEM's use non-standard on-screen keys)

On the flipside there are of course disadvantages:
  1. Loss of screen real estate when in use
  2. No more blinking led when charging
  3. No more possibility of having coloured keys matching your accent
  4. No more possibility of using the windows logo as a notification led thus requiring a separate notification LED
  5. It would be impossible to tell if your phone has completely locked up (frozen screen) or not, as pressing the capacitive keys you get vibration feedback if not fully locked up.

Never the less this doesn't completely rule out other OEM's using capacitive keys.

Personally I'd prefer smart capacitive keys with properly calibrated touch sensitivity, i.e when I'm playing games the o/s would know that my hand is rested and not pressing the keys. However when I press the keys it would preform the required action of said key press. This is possible, as software is extremely malleable and it may need a slightly larger, secondary proximity sensor under the capacitive keys.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I actually prefer screen keys too - on my 920 I was always hitting the buttons in a game and leaving it. While OS updates improved that over time, screen keys that vanish when in a game are good as you don't accidentally hit the buttons. And in a video too. I remember the 920 ones glowing while watching a movie - I know they could physically dim but the refinement of doing that wasn't implemented from the video player. Screen buttons are easily hidden.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes