950 XL Dual SIM variant US availability

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Aside from being able to use a second SIM the only difference I see besides the reported LTE speeds is that the dual SIM also has 'LTE band 17'.

I personally don't see a use for the dual SIM as I always pull my current SIM out when I travel (except to the States) in fear of outrageous roaming charges. Hopefully the Canadian store stocks the single SIM.

Also someone mentioned that both SIM cards will be shown top-left. I'd be bothered by that.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Aside from being able to use a second SIM the only difference I see besides the reported LTE speeds is that the dual SIM also has 'LTE band 17'.

I personally don't see a use for the dual SIM as I always pull my current SIM out when I travel (except to the States) in fear of outrageous roaming charges. Hopefully the Canadian store stocks the single SIM.

Also someone mentioned that both SIM cards will be shown top-left. I'd be bothered by that.

I use two SIMs on a daily basis. I have T-Mobile and AT&T. There are a lot of areas that one works, but not the other. I live in Southern California in a major metro area, definitely not the middle of no where!

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I use two SIMs on a daily basis. I have T-Mobile and AT&T. There are a lot of areas that one works, but not the other. I live in Southern California in a major metro area, definitely not the middle of no where!
I suppose that would be a good use of a second SIM for personal use.
I always viewed dual SIM as a business thing where people are almost always on the go.

Although... someone with a grandfathered unlimited plan would probably benefit from the dual sim too.

walkabt

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
The 950XL models in the Chandler AZ MS store were dual SIM - at 11AM today. Unfortunately, 0 people in the store that didn't work there when I showed up. And based on the sales rep's friendliness, I can see why they don't have many customers. Apple store was packed when I walked over to them.

Reading Elon Musk's quote that Apple got their fired Tesla employees, it felt like MS Store got the fired Apple store employee.

vs6xfx

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Just been to Los Cerrito Center, staffs there actually open up the back cover and took photo is the inside. It's dual nano SIM. SIM 1 at lower left and you need to remove the batter to see it. SIM 2 right to the camera lens.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Any thoughts on US availability of the Dual SIM variant of the 950 XL (and 950)?

The 950 XL Dual SIM web page from Microsoft is a Middle East/Africa source: Microsoft Lumia 950 XL Dual SIM Specifications - Microsoft - Middle East and Africa

No sign of it on the US version, and no mention in the Microsoft Store, just the single SIM versions.

I do wish Microsoft would just sell the things unlocked in their stores, all models, and be done with it. I'm tired of carrier deals and variants not being easy if even possible to locate a source one can buy them from. It shouldn't be this difficult to buy a product. I'm tired of bands being locked out for some reason or another, even when the phone is capable of it. I'm tired of little carrier logos popping up everywhere and being on my device. I'm tired of not even being able to identify specific variants by the exact model number and knowing 100% for certain what each has that others may not. Fortunately the radios seem to be standardizing on wider support rather than so many unique individual models with different subsets of bands so it's less and less an issue, but is it really so hard to make the information easily available?

I was told by the ms rep in store in Calgary that the phones sold in Canada from the store will be dual sim both on 950 and 950XL

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site

ODwyerPW

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I don't really mind that Data on the SIM2 is 2G... as I could move the SIM positions based on which country I'm in in..

However, the network sim that is plugged into SIM2 must support 2G, or you won't even receive text and calls... which is what I'd want to be able to do...

SIM 1 - Calls, Text, all DATA LTE speeds (at least Category 4)
SIM 2 - Calls, Text... don't need to use the data..

However, if the SIM in SIM2 can't log registrer on a 2G network.. you won't even receive calls and text... That's a problem... and makes a DUAL SIM 950XL effectively a Single SIM phone w/ the inherent slower LTE Speed... (cat4 for dual sim variant.... the actually single sim variant of the 950XL is cat7).

AT&T for instance will shutdown 2G support at the end of 2016.
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...%3D%252Fwireless%252FKM1069631&token=onKGUHNx

So that would mean if I'm in Mexico for instance and I still want to receive calls on my US number, I must move my AT&T Sim to SIM1.... That means my TelCel Sim gets moved to SIM2... and of course I'll still receive calls on my Mexican Number... However, my DATA will either route through SIM2 / TelCel at greatly reduced speeds... or through SIM1 / AT&T at higher speeds but the risk of having roaming/data overages while in Mexico.

Ugly DUAL SIM solution Microsoft. Others don't have this issue.

Last edited:

ODwyerPW

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Actually, this scenario isn't as dreadful as I outlined earlier...

When in Mexico, with my AT&T in Sim2... it's going to use the 2G of whatever network I roam on... 2G isn't going anywhere fast in the next few years in Mexico. So I will still receive calls and text on AT&T just fine.

With my TelCel chip in Sim1.. I will have 4G LTE Data...

When I travel to the US.. Well... that becomes an issue if there is no 2G support.... My Telcel won't be able to roam on anyone's 2G network.... so I won't receive TelCel Text or Calls....

So where as the 950XL works perfect for me in Mexico... It's a fail when I'm in the USA... Back to carrying two phones.

Does anyone know how WhatsApp behaves in a Dual Sim World?

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
Yeah I use WhatsApp. You can only assign the app to one phone number. Great news is that when that SIM has no signal, WhatsApp of course still works using any data connection, data from the working SIM, WiFi, etc.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know how WhatsApp behaves in a Dual Sim World?

Yeah I use WhatsApp. You can only assign the app to one phone number. Great news is that when that SIM has no signal, WhatsApp of course still works using any data connection, data from the working SIM, WiFi, etc.

Hot tip: you can install WhatsApp Beta and use it for the second SIM. That's what I've been doing, and I hope the Beta app never gets deactivated. Works pretty well, except that their notifications seem to interfere. I think when there's a WhatsApp beta notification pending, the other WhatsApp doesn't notify. Not 100% sure, but it works well enough for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon