Dropping the ball on the 950XL (950)

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
The surface and Microsoft band pre-orders were ready right away because the surface and Microsoft band teams are competent. Windows phone didn't earn its 3% market share by being managed well.

Or they were making sure windows 10 mobile were running great on these phones but you know what, were Windows Central. Let's just assume the worst :)

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't think anyone would argue with that. But its silly for the OP to blame an uninvolved 3rd party for his problem. Microsoft has no obligation to give the OP any phone at all. Its the OP's chosen insurance company who won't give him the phone he wants. The insanity is blaming Microsoft 100% for something Microsoft has zero percent responsibility for. The responsibility is between the OP and the insurance company. If the insurance company is not living up to the contract its on them. If the OP didn't read the policy before paying for it and the policy allows a substitution of a lesser phone, the OP shares some responsibility.

Partially yes, but again it's MS that does not have anything else to offer for sale. I think you would agree that MS should have kept the 930 for sale at least, until the two new phones arrive.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
On their Facebook page they said they would be "available starting in November in select markets". First response I actually ever got on their FB page.

wyrdfish

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I could have pre-ordered the white ones at 7am but I wasn't sure about the colour so I didn't, they were gone in an hour when I checked back.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The surface and Microsoft band pre-orders were ready right away because the surface and Microsoft band teams are competent. Windows phone didn't earn its 3% market share by being managed well.

That's a popular conspiracy - Microsoft killing it's own platform for god knows what reason.
Doesn't pay off
The new CEO is a fan of android
Microsoft is buying apple
Google has bought someone inside WP devision to fail this platform on purpose

You can add some more

The incompetence surrounding WP's management isn't a conspiracy, its fact.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I could have pre-ordered the white ones at 7am but I wasn't sure about the colour so I didn't, they were gone in an hour when I checked back.

I'm planning to order a black one, but if only white is available, I'll get that. Since it's easy to swap out the back covers, I plan on buying whatever back cover color I don't get originally in addition. I have white, black and blue for my 640 XL and swap them out every week or so when I feel like I need something 'fresh'.

AdamAshton

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Same here, then I went to the store on Monday, super excited to get my new phone (especially since I'm still hanging on to my almost dead 920 after nearly 3 years), and was told that only the Surfaces were released October 26 and there was no release date yet for the phones. I'd also ordered 2 Bands, but at least those have been given an official release date.

mcmc08

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
To all you people that are trashing Microsoft because they aren't delivering the 950/XL on your timetable, stop whining!! You'll get your toy soon enough, you just have to practice a little patience--otherwise you'll be sent to the corner for some time out.

The 950 will ship when the OS and the hardware are ready. If they shipped it before it was ready, the same people would be complaining about how they shipped it too early..."We're just beta-testers for MS", etc. Besides, Microsoft may have announced it a couple of weeks ago, but we all knew months ago it was coming, and it's not like we haven't waited almost 2 years for a flagship. What's another few weeks?

Lastly, don't you think Microsoft is anxious to get it into your hands? With that in mind, it seems logical to think there must be a good reason that hasn't happened yet.

Last edited:

Brian Emmerling

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
We're talking about phones not livers here. MS ecosystem is also being offered on competing platforms with far more superior apps at the moment. Listening to Nadela that won't stop either, so you'll be able to benefit from Azure from any platform.

If MS gets it together and actually gets the OS up to speed, gets the apps on board and up to quality and releases devices on time I'm sure most of us who jumped ship would be happy to go back.

My NL 920 bit the dust 2 weeks ago. I couldn't wait for another phone and would not have gotten the Lumia 950 anyway, because I wasn't convinced on the state of WM10 and the apps. It felt like NL920 launch with WP8 all over again.
I bought the Galaxy S6 and to be honest I'm pretty happy with it. The screen is incredible, the camera is absolutely awesome (loads super quick and processing is great, it takes great pictures quickly without need for playing around with settings). Touchwiz has been scaled back a lot and Android is not what people over here make it out to be at all, pretty snappy, I haven't seen any lag yet.

I hope MS turns it around and would be happy to go back, but for now I can totally see why so many people are jumping ship. MS is not helping themselves here with fumble after fumble and constant resets.

Yea, the best thing they can do is make nice with Google. There has already been leaked tech specs of Windows 10 running Android Play Apps, so I am thinking that must be their solution to solving the app store issue.

As for better windows experiences on iPhone, you are right and I am at a complete lost as to how that happens. It really does seem like slap in the face to MS Mobile supporters.

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I remember everyone proclaiming Google's mobile death way back when Android phones were starting to fill the shelves due to the 'App-Gap', but Google persisted, people bought their phones wanting to get away from Apple, and viola. The developers followed.

Now, W10m is about to come out, universal apps, and Microsoft is making a big push to make it as easy as possible for developers to port their code over to WUA. Where Windows mobile used to be a closed system, and the 'Nintendo Wii' of the Big 3, I think Win10m and the new Microsoft is poised to expand in a major way. Now, I don't pretend to know the future, but it looks bright from where I'm sitting. I haven't paid any attention to MS's mobile offerings in the past, but I'm hopping on board now because things are starting to look interesting and iOS and Android are as closed-off and gated as they've ever been.

I'm glad this site isn't just an echo chamber of MS sycophants telling each other how great our chosen platform is, but it sure is overly negative around here. Maybe you all have PTSD from MS's past failings in mobile, or something.

The Jimmy James

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
The new phones will be okay.

The ones they come out with after these will have Panos Panay all over them and will be magnificent. End of story. They will be you guys' storied "Surphase Foans"

lol omg bbq

And I'll still be rocking my Lumia 820 cuz I'm pooooooooooo ***

PS the profanity filter is cute

Petru Moldovan

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
The only thing sure here in Europe is that Amazon UK will deliver the phones starting with December 12, 2015, but they have neither the dual-sim XL nor the HD-500 dock. In France and Italy it is cheaper but with no delivery dates, in Germany you can buy the phone + dock in the same package but with no dual-sim for XL and in Spain the phones do not exist yet. I think I won't see black 950XL + dock this year here around, and I cannot buy hardware from Microsoft Store here in Romania simply because they have no store although they have here the second base for recruiting programmers after India which is at least 60 times larger...

Clinton_O

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I remember everyone proclaiming Google's mobile death way back when Android phones were starting to fill the shelves due to the 'App-Gap', but Google persisted, people bought their phones wanting to get away from Apple, and viola. The developers followed.

Now, W10m is about to come out, universal apps, and Microsoft is making a big push to make it as easy as possible for developers to port their code over to WUA. Where Windows mobile used to be a closed system, and the 'Nintendo Wii' of the Big 3, I think Win10m and the new Microsoft is poised to expand in a major way. Now, I don't pretend to know the future, but it looks bright from where I'm sitting. I haven't paid any attention to MS's mobile offerings in the past, but I'm hopping on board now because things are starting to look interesting and iOS and Android are as closed-off and gated as they've ever been.

I'm glad this site isn't just an echo chamber of MS sycophants telling each other how great our chosen platform is, but it sure is overly negative around here. Maybe you all have PTSD from MS's past failings in mobile, or something.

We have heard this same story song and dance like 3 or 4 times now

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Yea, the best thing they can do is make nice with Google. There has already been leaked tech specs of Windows 10 running Android Play Apps, so I am thinking that must be their solution to solving the app store issue.

As for better windows experiences on iPhone, you are right and I am at a complete lost as to how that happens. It really does seem like slap in the face to MS Mobile supporters.

Agreed, not just iPhone, MS apps on Android are better as well. I get the whole argument that both those platforms have more users so they have to make sure they have solid apps there, what I don't understand is why can't you have solid and consistent app experiences across the board including WM? If you can't do it yourself for your own platform, how can you expect other devs to do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes