Make a Magnesium Case?

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok so one, materialistic reason, I've been waiting for a Surface phone is because it may come with a magnesium case (and the possibility that it may run desktop software). But since both 950s have removable cases, why not make our own magnesium case?.. I would if I'm not tied up with school projects right now lol. Mozo should do this!

Just a random thought since I just pre ordered my 950xl.

darth furious

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
IF you don't care about sacrificing Qi wireless charging then a mag case would be really nice. I wonder if it would interfere with the antennas. The iphone has those ugly plastic bands in the aluminum for the antennas. It might significantly hurt reception

Likwidz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm a wirelessly charging homer, but with rapid charge probably end up being wired more, so I'd dig that type of case too

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
IF you don't care about sacrificing Qi wireless charging then a mag case would be really nice. I wonder if it would interfere with the antennas. The iphone has those ugly plastic bands in the aluminum for the antennas. It might significantly hurt reception

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's magnesium parade here, but I think it should be pointed out that darth is correct.

Yes, it will totally sacrifice Qi wireless charging.

Yes, it will interfere greatly with the antennae. The only way to prevent antennae interference is to ground the antennae itself to the metal casing, which is not possible as it is embedded with the plastic part of the phone.

There are several reasons that Microsoft goes with the Polycarbonate case for the phone. One is that it does not interfere with signals and allows the antennae to operate at peak efficiency. All metal cases interfere with and impede greatly the cell signal, Bluetooth signal, Wi-Fi signal, FM Radio signal, yep. Every type of radiation/signal produced is dampened by a metal case. This is why the iPhone has plastic strips in place of metal where the antennae is located. Check it.

Another reason that polycarbonate is used is due to its durability. Did you know that polycarbonate is used for bullet-proof glass? Did you know if you drop your phone, the polycarbonate absorbs and spreads out the impact to minimize damage to your phone and prevent breakage?

Polycarbonate is actually more expensive than aluminum. While aluminum can currently be purchased at 6.5 cents per cubic inch, polycarbonate is purchased at closer to 41 cents per cubic inch. The polycarbonate price arrived at here is from converting sheets of polycarbonate to what they would be for the same amount in a cubed inch instead of a 1/32" thin panel. Polycarbonate is 6 times more expensive to purchase in raw material than is the aluminum, and it is also more expensive to mold into the desired shape.

The issue with metal interfering with reception/transmission is also why the Mozo cases only have metal on the outer rim, and use leather for the backing. It's a nice premium trade-off for not being able to put metal across the back of the case.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Excellent explanation.

I would definitely buy a back cover designed to look and feel like magnesium but actually made from nonmetallic material such as polycarbonate.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
What about the same mozo covers but they use uctual aluminum and not plastic for the rims? Wil that also interfere with the radios?

The antennae is in the "back" of the phone, where the leather is stretched over polycarbonate plastic. Whatever they use for the metal rim, even if it is aluminum, steel, magnesium, whatever, will not interfere because it doesn't cover the antennae, if you'll pardon the pun.

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I guess the only way to do it is similar to what Mozo did: Polycarbonate with magnesium like exterior. Hopefully MS releases a basic back cover, so i can have it powder coated hahaha. Maybe even some kind of metal plating lol

Marc Cupido 44

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I just wish they would release the same back as the mozo covers but instead of leather they use polycarbonate plastic. Or just the same stock back covers as the 950's but in colors

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
tell me this wouldn't make a sexy phone! and if MS would/could do a typecover like this depicted in the pic then MS would OWN the phone market!!! hands down!!

surface-phone-1-100577980-large.png

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As much as I'd love a "Surface" bodied phone, I agree with the limitations above.

The rim also has to flex in order to get it on and off the body.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes