Getting rid of my 950xl, anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReachJasonHere

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
This is a sad thread. If you don't like the phone or the OS, then you are better off with something different. Trying to convince others that Windows Phone is dead and we should all jump ship is ridiculous. I got mine via pre-order shipment the day before Thanksgiving and the biggest issues I've had were due to a bad tempered glass design that I added. I get great battery life and the phone is incredibly stable (unlike insider builds on my 920 and 830). I do miss double-tap and quiet hours, but those will come. I love universal apps and the camera quality -not to mention continuum. I don't know that it's going to win converts but leave that to the next generation a year from now. Good luck to you ship-jumpers, I hope you don't find flaws in your next device.

GMJeff

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
This thread may yet scare me into canceling the pre-order (since 11/16 like others, but a slight issue cause me to catch the late 11/16 order with the 12/11 ship date).

You are not the only one. I noted this when asked why I was buying another Windows Phone. Especially for a phone to get things done that I need for work and make phone calls, I will take Win Phone. Family with iPhones that to this day still have partial lockups (phone appears to be working) where calls don't come in. I need the phone to be a phone first. Mind you, scary thread about "reboots" of the 950 XL out there as well. But, I almost would rather have it auto reboot then partial lock like I have seen iOS do and miss a call completely. Sad I have to say that, but it's true. And Android devices are no perfect exception to that either.

As others have said, might be a bit yet. Heck, Monday is supposed to be first day of 950/950XL being able to be part of Insider Preview. Maybe a fix for some issues is already on the way. Maybe not, but if it is I will be on the lookout for cheap barely used 950's from you guys.

Just for a little positive spin, I have had my 950xl since the first batch were shipped.

I have had some minor hiccups here and there, but nothing that I would consider a major problem.

I did perform a hard reset on the phone and a clean install (no restore). It seems that a restore can carry over some data/settings can make the OS buggy.

Fred Shumacher

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Why on earth would I like to get rid of my Lumia 950XL? I know the OS is not mature enough and there some issues, but that does not change the fact that this is one beautiful, powerful, safe and supreme-useful all-in-one device.
VPN does still posses a problem (no OpenVPN/L2TP failes on Commercial actors...)

Truly waiting for the OS to mature Up, potentials are vast, and feedback is required to keep MS pushing those fixes we need and found.

Chad Welsh

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
it is usable i have been using mine since day one and i have no problems, the latest W10M .29 update on my 640 makes it a different phone!!! you people complain way too much!!! why don't you use you superior skills at building phones and apply at microsoft and have someone complain about YOUR phone design!!!!! Always complain until you are put in the spotlight and then again it becomes someone else fault and not yours. MOVE ALONG AND KISS GOOGLE AND APPLE, THIS IS NOT THE PHONE YOU ARE LOOKING FOR!!!!!!!

For the price I expected it to at least least be usable. My model was in the first shipment and I spent two days trying to work out the bugs... We are about halfway through my return window and I already have a different phone on the way to try out. Honestly, after struggling with it and trying for two days, I decided maybe I should research other options. I'm equally surprised people would beta test for brand loyalty.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
it is usable i have been using mine since day one and i have no problems, the latest W10M .29 update on my 640 makes it a different phone!!! you people complain way too much!!! why don't you use you superior skills at building phones and apply at microsoft and have someone complain about YOUR phone design!!!!! Always complain until you are put in the spotlight and then again it becomes someone else fault and not yours. MOVE ALONG AND KISS GOOGLE AND APPLE, THIS IS NOT THE PHONE YOU ARE LOOKING FOR!!!!!!!

I guess my experience is invalidated by yours. I apologize. I'm excited about it again!

Chad Welsh

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
@cracgor - You have your complaints but quit posting a 1000 posts a day stating your 950 is the worst thing the world. We all have heard it and its a broken record. You don't like it so move to android or apple and leave the rest of us alone. We like it and the experience it gives us and you can go to the android central forum or one of the many apple forums and complain or praise over there. I think I speak for the majority that use this site that we are SICK of all the continuous complainers here and would like it to stop!!!!!!

We know there is problems but they will be worked out. Rome was not built in a day and did not fall in a day either so just stop the incessant whining and get over yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KW28

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Still waiting for my 950XL to arrive.

Other OS's and devices have their own problems.

My experiences for example. Nexus 7 loads of reports of users updating the OS and the device became crippled. I have refused to update the OS as a result.
Nvidia Shield Tablet - Very unstable, cracked edges, poor wifi, dodgy battery with a worldwide recall. I still use this tablet after 2 replacements. It is one of the fastest for OS updates and for that its also one of the buggiest.

Of course the above are tablets, but are similar to mobile phones.

My 1520.1 suffers from ghost tapping, but has the best battery I have every had. Still wouldn't last 4 days though! At best 1.5 days. All other phones wouldn't last a day and so i have adopted a solution where I have charging points at work, in the car, bedroom and living room.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

There you go. No more myths. Battery engineers even say that completely discharging is not good. It also says so in the manual of my laptop which has a lithium ion cell. Also ,when you store it away for a long time, do it with a 40% charge.

You might notice that this article was written over 5 years ago and I wish that people would stop citing it as current advice. Battery technology has moved on a great deal since then And I have certainly never run across any problems with battery memory or fading. These days, a phone battery will easily outlast the life of the phone without any significant degradation in efficiency.

mcmc08

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I didn't read every post on this thread, so it could be that someone already brought this up, but ... I just wonder what the OP could have possibly hoped to accomplished by starting this thread. It seems more like a pity party to me--"I'm having problems, so let's see how many others I can get to complain as well." To me it seems like he was looking for support to help him leave WM10, rather than being able to make the decision for himself.

Complaining is fine when done in the appropriate sphere. If you have issues, let Microsoft know. They've been open to our suggestions/problems. But complaining for the sake of complaining just sows discontent. And if you are truly having problems, look for solutions. Many of the issues I originally had with my 950XL were because I restored from a previous backup. At this point it's been pretty solid--definitely no major issues that have affected overall usability. I'm confident MS will fix the minor issues I've had and bring back features that were left out. If you're building a house, landscaping is the least of your concerns and always the last thing that happens. Now that the core OS is in place, I'm sure the "landscaping" will be done. But it takes time.

If you want to leave WM10, it's your decision. Just don't make it your mission in life to try to take everyone else with you. There are plenty of us that have had a good experience with WP/WM10.

Last edited:

hardly_here

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried limiting background tasks/etc. I seem to be getting decent battery life, but I know some aren't as fortunate as I am.

I am getting a decent 10hrs on my 920 with Windows10. Few things i did: Limit my background tasks/downloads (helps the phone from getting too hot as well). I also changed the battery saver to kick in when the batter drops to 40% or lower.

Asgardi

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
You are right. But for you and everybody else; it is still running on beta firmware (don't ask me how I know :). So expect better battery life from these phones early next year. That said, I'm not asking you to wait. Since its MS alright ;)

laserfloyd

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
WM10 and the newer Lumias are like two ships passing in the night. They only get a glimpse of the other. In one you have the future of the mobile OS that's not quite done. The other is the hardware that's on the way out. The lack of enthusiasm that Panos had for the device was very telling. His body language was "This is not how I'd design a phone." When he came out with the SP4 he was pumped. So, to me the fledgling OS and the old guard hardware (Lumias) are going to be together for a short time and next year we'll get some truly amazing hardware. With Panos leading up that department now, I'm excited to see what HE will be excited about. I think we'll get some of that original Lumia excitement back. Just my opinion. :)

zimilaci

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I don't get you guys....

- I used Android.... without rooting and ad blocking, its useless and your device will be flooded with ads during a normal browsing session....not even talking about the games (freeware)
- Battery is terrible most of the times....
- Too many viruses and not covered flaws.
- Gets slow after a while (except htc one m7-m8 they are still good with the htc optimization

IOS :

- Come ooooon MONO Recording during the videos???? REALLY?
- ITUNES dependency... REALLY?
- Converting everything before copying ? REALLY?
..usw..

For me both got boring... and trust me I own Android device and an Apple device as well...

I wanted something new.... 950XL with Win 10 was my choice ... I never used windows mobile and never wanted to ...until win 10.... the older releases are soooo awful, but this one surprises me daily with some new things I did not notice...

So I am not sure Win 10 is dead, now with the universal app it isnt... and hopefully android and ios apps will be ported and/or usable ....

To be hones... I don't miss any apps...

- I can listen to music (mp3, spotify)
- I can bluetooth/NFC (haha Iphone)
- I can use the social apps like whatsapp, skype, viber, facebook
- Camera is wow ..... except the final touches :D
-- etc...

I love this phone, and the win 10 as well... Continuum is fun, although I am not sure I will use it that often :D

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
To me it seems like he was looking for support to help him leave WM10, rather than being able to make the decision for himself

Not really. I have been with windows mobile since my moto q9h running windows mobile 6.5... Then moved to htc surround, then nokia 900, then nokia 920, then picked up this 1520 and then got a 635 because it was on sale. I have used windows phone so long because it just worked and I didnt have the other hassles when using the android or iphones during that same time period. I don't need convincing to use a phone that does not work. It does that on its own. This thread was more to gauge whether it was a fluke in their production in my phone that gave me such a poor experience or if it was more widespread.

hingethunder

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
I have no issue with the OS (other than its willingness to give up on downloading apps and tracks) but as I said on another thread - am disappointed with the actual device. Having to take off the back and remove the battery to install the SIM card is very retro or cheap. The case also squeaks when given a gentle squeeze in either bottom corner - I googled this and found I wasn't alone. This just should not be an issue, it's almost like MS wants this to fail so that once the Surface phone appears it will be the only model of device they will offer and there'll only be one or two SKUs per year following Apples business model.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
my experience was very different, sadly I would say no mobile OS is in a great state but I'm surprised people are so quick to drop the new Lumia's without seeing what the next update or two do. Windows 10 Mobile was launched with the new phones before it is ready that is true, but I haven't had that many crashes or bugs, it is more battery hungry then it should be for sure however the last couple of insider builds are much much better on other phones then previous builds battery wise and stability wise so I'm hopeful that should be fixed soon, personally I think it has huge potential.

I would say that the original launch of iOS7 was okay, however iOS 8 and 9 were terrible, at launch both had battery issues, crashing issues, I experienced reboots, on my 6s Plus my home button would randomly become too hot to touch, it would reboot every other time I opened the camera, iCloud was broken. the phone was always warm and battery life sucked even after a hard reset with a fresh set up, the home button was fixed in the first update but battery life is still problematic now and even now after a few updates I wouldn't call it stable, in my experience iOS 8 was just as bad as Windows 10 Mobile is now when it launched. I consider iOS9 a stability update thankfully where they fixed a lot of it, still has a way to go though

same with Android, KitKat was a bit of a mess but it was a huge overhaul, battery was much worse then previous version along with stability and only with Marshmallow have they fixed this for the most part, it's a huge improvement in most areas., I just hope they don't go backwards in the next version

in my opinion this constant reinventing and heaps of new features being chucked in has resulted in all platforms being unstable, Windows Phone isn't the only one, both Android and iOS are going through the same thing, my hope is that Apple, Google and Microsoft start to focus on stability now they have brought about these huge overhauls to their respective platforms which it seems like they might be.

oh and personally for me yes iOS had more apps yet I couldn't find a Reddit client anywhere as good as Readit and the official YouTube app was awful compared to Metrotube and Mytube, seriously the official YouTube app is terrible, really really bad!, I'm now hoping Google don't make one for Windows Phone it was that bad, lately they updated it and it's even worse!, I would say I'm actually happier in regards to apps on Windows Phone overall, I don't play many games or use that many apps and yes I'm likely the only person in the world to say that I know. :p

While what you say is true there are two things that both android and IOS have going for them that windows doesn't and thats an ecosystem with apps and third party accessories that do a lot more than what windows has. If windows had these you can believe people will be able to put up with bugs because they do on android and IOS but when you have a suck app experience and no real ecosystem outside of the promise that one day all apps will get along in the windows sandbox, that just won't keep people in they are not really vested outside of pc which you can have the same or better with both of the other platforms. I love windows just like you, I had the pocket PC, all of the HTC phones that were great with windows phone (diamond and sony xperia windows phone days) but then something happened windows 6 turned into windows 7,8, 8.1, 10 and one thing in common no app and ecosystem to where people say I am invested in this platform. And I do not count several windows phones and a pc or laptop I mean apps functional ones and other devices in my home that work without me having to be a part time dev to understand how to jerryrig it to work with windows phone. IJS however I am keeping my 950XL just on the sidelines until some updates come out and some things change. The sim is back in the nexus 6p which to me is not better the 950xl by no means but it has a real ecosystem one that is supported regardless of software bugs they all have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo