Qi Chargers That Work

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks a lot for all your updates! Super interesting!

Would be great if you could also mention the total charging time from 0-100%.

After many more tests I am now slowly approaching a careful guess that the main issue is firmware (QI charging behavior is controlled by the device and not by the charger).

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
just to inform you I bought a Samsung wireless charger and a Samsung wireless car charger and they both work fantastic! I'm super happy with them!

Great choice :) Is this the 10W QI fast charger as the image suggests ? Whats your charging time from 0-100% ?

I was tempted to order it as well for checking out the Lumia 950 XL potential of QI fast charging. Currently only supported by a couple Samsung devices. QI fast charge transfers 10W instead of 5W and so theoretically charges twice as fast (if heat doesn't become an issue - which most likely it does).

Thanks in advance :)

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Check how much amperes is the fuse relative to the cigarette lighter circuit, multiply by 12 and that's the max watts it will output, anyway it's really hard to find adapters that absorb more than 2 amperes, so 24 watts, it's enough to charge rapidly one device

Duskmourn

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
So for wireless car chargers the Choetech one works you just need to mod it with something 1/2 inch thick so the clamps don't hit the camera/volume button. Hasn't seemed to overheat and I just had to use a fast car charging cable and plugin instead of the ones shipped with it. Works with my Mozo case that finally arrived today too! just amazon choetech wireless car charger

ale_ers

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Not just you...tested mine out and sent it back to Amazon already. Got a Qi Infinity (Robot Check) and it works to charge
It is not ideal, as the arms want to press the camera button, but seems secure without even closing the arms.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
An update from my side:

• This charging problem seems to only happen with 3 coil chargers
  • Research brought up these interesting threads Link 1, Link 2
  • So I tried charging in landscape mode and I had zero heat or charging speed problems!
  • Means that my 3 coil chargers might activate more than 1 coil as well superheating the phone and leading to slow charges
  • Also adds up nicely with the fact that active air cooling is preventing any charging problems
  • In addition this might fit with the observation that my 3 coil chargers draw 8 watts but the phone should follow low energy 5 watts QI standard. Maybe this proves as well that 2 coils are activated. I will get a 1 coil usb charger and measure if it draws less energy.
Thanks for all the work trying to figure out what's going on here! I woke up to my new dual SIM 950XL sitting on a DT900, lengthwise, waking, "Hello" light on, turning off, turning back on and going 'bleep' for the start of charging. Repeat. I think this is what is reffered to as 'the cycle thing'. :) Took the phone off the charger and it was pretty hot to the touch. Is there a separate thread specifically on this on-off cycling on wireless chargers, or is this the only thread?

I'm wondering if this could be made worse when the phone is trying to do a device backup while on the charger. That could add to the heating. I'll try the lateral phone placement (across the plate rather than along the plate) and see if that helps. And I turned off 'system sounds' so if it happens again at least the charging chime doesn't wake me. :eck:

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I am quite sure that this isn't the normal tickle charging keeping the charge around 100%. Especially as your phone is super hot. When I am in tickle charge (with any QI charger) the phone never gets hot. Simply because it's just about 5% max to charge which doesn't really heat up the phone.

Your problem more likely sounds like bad positioning of the phone on the QI charger (coil overlap). Bad positioning very quickly overheats the phone and can end up in on / off charging situations.

telomoyo

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
This one works amazingly. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B015...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3391608 . What I like about it is that it can be charged with another Qi charger by placing it upside down, and then use this charger as a portable wireless one, or regular Qi charger connected to a wall. It beeps when it begins charging, and the when the phone reaches 100%. It's going up in price now. I bought it for $22 about two weeks ago.

Chippy757

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
just to inform you I bought a Samsung wireless charger and a Samsung wireless car charger and they both work fantastic! I'm super happy with them!

http://images.techhive.com/images/a...eless-charging-pad-100609082-primary.idge.jpg

http://images.mobilefun.co.uk/graphics/productmisc/50468/3.jpg

Looks like a workable solution since I need both also. DO the clamps not end up pressing some buttons, looks like they might be in way of Volume down button? Which car charger do you use?
Thanks,

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Looks like a workable solution since I need both also. DO the clamps not end up pressing some buttons, looks like they might be in way of Volume down button? Which car charger do you use?
Thanks,

no the clamps go in between the buttons actually and MAYBE you might have to raise the phone up 1/2MM to not hit the down button, but honestly I don't bother and it holds/works just fine...

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I don't mean to dissuade anyone. After using Qi chargers for a few weeks, I've gone back to direct cable charging. It's faster. And I can use the phone in my hands while it's charging. I use a rugged case now and it's not efficient charging, gets hot, and cannot use it in my hands while charging. Much like the iris scanner, it's just fluff to me now. Until I find some real world advantages.

Before anyone says anything about the iris scanner unlocking, try asking Cortana to navigate to an address while driving, when your phone is locked.

Chippy757

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
True, they are faster.

So I decided to check mine today, since getting the 3Ah Anker charger and borrowed Samsung charging plate - from dead to 100% it took 3.5 hrs.
In 1.5 hrs it was at 48%. Phone stayed warm all the time but not too hot. Still need to check how long wired Anker charger takes to charge phone fully. I think I will get Samsung plate for myself also, since my 930 will be going for sale soon. 2Ah charger is what it needs in case anyone is wondering. Now I just need a car mount to complete.

Edit 28.Feb: with the Anker Quick charge wired charger it still takes 2hrs 20 min to charge fully... from completely flat battery

Last edited:

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Nokia/Microsoft is all I use. I have DT-910 in all my rooms and made a DIY DT-900 setup on my truck. I know qi chargers charge slow compared to just plugging it in with a USB cord. I just like the convenience of just placing it on a pad.

Chippy757

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Nokia/Microsoft is all I use. I have DT-910 in all my rooms and made a DIY DT-900 setup on my truck. I know qi chargers charge slow compared to just plugging it in with a USB cord. I just like the convenience of just placing it on a pad.

That is the reason I stick with it also, it stays on until morning, so time is not an issue. Thing is I can get Samsung plate cheaper hence no brainer really and it works....
Is the proud camera on the back not an issue with DT-910?

Chippy757

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018E2YOWU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00So I went ahead and decided to go for GMYLE Aluminium Qi Charging Pad For some reason I wanted something different and this one looked a good product. It now starts charging straight away, does what it should and does it nice and cool. Nice heavy plate, and good size, led is way too bright though - at night it lights up the whole room, had to put few stickers on it to dim down a bit. 2Ah charger is all is needed for it, also comes with a quality cable.

51XITkAdMDL._SL1000_.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes