01-07-2016 02:18 AM
173 12345 ...
tools
    This won't take long.
    12-09-2015 12:49 AM
    The big thing to consider (as many have said before me) is whether or not the app gap is an issue to you.

For me it is not a big deal, because the apps that I would use on Android of iOS have "webapps" that I can simply pin or bookmark, including banks and Starbucks. (Might want that Band if Starbucks is your thing. ;) ) There are even apps that will hunt down the webapps for you. Snapchat? Honestly, I think my life is better (and my data plan is safer) by not having access to that.

The apps I do have I enjoy immensely due to the livetile integration. Why download a separate widget when the widget is right on your icon?

The app gap isn't as bad on games. Development kits like Unity support it to the point that you get the same experience on every mobile OS. (My husband is currently working on a game.)

So if the app gap doesn't concern you? Then here's what sold me: Windows Phone is extremely stable. Yes, even the Windows 10 builds. You'll be running it for weeks at a time without the slightest slowdown. And Windows 10 multitasks like a beast. (Well, open too many apps and it'll eat your battery like a beast, but every phone does that...)

So if you're wanting to get experimental and see what us oddballs love about it so much, come on down. :)
    Pete, Mach_E and libra89 like this.
    12-09-2015 03:09 AM
    Make sure you download TubeCast if you end up getting a windows phone. It's the best Youtube client in the store IMO (and NO ads!)
    Noted, the guy shipped out the 640 XL last night so I may see it Friday.
    HammerBlue likes this.
    12-09-2015 07:50 AM
    But it charges you to cast. Mytube includes this free. Try both and decide.
    I will give them both a try, so I can cast to my Chromecast with MyTube?
    12-09-2015 07:51 AM
    On the topic of the best youtube client, I recommend MetroTube if you want a simple interface, myTube if you want a nicer UI with additional features albeit you are limited to 1 hour of video viewing for every 3 hours, in which you'd have to wait 10 minutes before being able to resume watching another 1 hour. TubeCast is free with no ads, great UI, and are compatible with its companion app, Tube360 or something that allows you to watch those 360 videos. It also provides limited casting for the free version, and unlimited with the pro version. Perfect Tube has a great UI and provides easy viewing of YT comments, if that's your thing, albeit with no background music playback. I tried all of the above, but went back to MetroTube because the UI is simple, and works flawlessly, along with the decent background playback for music. It has unlimited trial as well and you get all the feature in the free version.
    Does YouTube not work in the browser?
    12-09-2015 07:52 AM
    I went from Android to Windows 8.1 and I liked it a lot. And Windows 10 is even better!
    Awesome, I am looking forward to giving it a try.
    JB Labs likes this.
    12-09-2015 07:53 AM
    It does, but... but why would you watch Youtube with a browser? The 3rd-party apps I've used are all good for watching Youtube. Unless, of course, you're bothered about sharing your info to 3rd-party devs, then I completely understand that.
    libra89 likes this.
    12-09-2015 07:56 AM
    So if you're wanting to get experimental and see what us oddballs love about it so much, come on down. :)
    A phone has been ordered and I am excited to give it a go.

Apologies to everyone for highjacking the Lumia 950 XL thread with my newb questions.
    12-09-2015 07:56 AM
    It does, but... but why would you watch Youtube with a browser? The 3rd-party apps I've used are all good for watching Youtube. Unless, of course, you're bothered about sharing your info to 3rd-party devs, then I completely understand that.
    No, I was just curious if it did or not. Seems like a lot of the apps had their plus and minuses, figured if you use the browser to watch YouTube there might be a better free experience? If that makes sense.
    12-09-2015 07:58 AM
    Hurm.. Tbh, watching YT videos through the browser burnt my eyes. The comments section takes forever to load, and the web UI looks messy (not sure if this happens only with IE. You can try using other browsers like UC Browser, Surfy, Maxthon, etc) and see if the experience differ . Also, no matter what are the pros and cons are of the various 3rd-party YT apps out there, they are definitely better than watching YT videos through the browser.

But if you must know more, you can google up some WP user polls regarding the best YT app (and most voted for myTube).
    libra89 likes this.
    12-09-2015 08:05 AM
    Only reason to use the browser is because Cortana launches the web browser version after you search and select a video.
    12-09-2015 08:25 AM
    Only reason to use the browser is because Cortana launches the web browser version after you search and select a video.
    And if a web page you're viewing has an embedded YouTube video...
    12-09-2015 08:40 AM
    Not sure - I only use it for quickpay. For some reason, I'm guessing this is one of the missing features that an official app would give - but I can neither confirm nor deny.
    12-09-2015 11:35 AM
    Hurm.. Tbh, watching YT videos through the browser burnt my eyes. The comments section takes forever to load, and the web UI looks messy (not sure if this happens only with IE. You can try using other browsers like UC Browser, Surfy, Maxthon, etc) and see if the experience differ . Also, no matter what are the pros and cons are of the various 3rd-party YT apps out there, they are definitely better than watching YT videos through the browser.
    The sad part is the youtube web app looks exactly like Google's regular app. :P I've even walked customers through the android version of the app using the webapp. (Google does this for several of their services.)
    12-09-2015 11:56 AM
    The sad part is the youtube web app looks exactly like Google's regular app. I've even walked customers through the android version of the app using the webapp. (Google does this for several of their services.)
    Google needs to step up and just make the apps available for WP10.
    12-09-2015 01:05 PM
    Do yourself a favor and try it on a lower cost Windows 10 phone like the 550 or even the $20-40 Lumia 640.
    If you like the experience return the 550/640 whatever within 30 days and go get a 950/950xl.
    It's hard to make an informed decision unless you actually experience it for yourself.
    But in my opinion, $650 is too much to pay for a phone you don't know if you'll even like.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-10-2015 02:44 AM
    I'd been a huge Android user for years, changed to 930 first, 950 XL now.

I am not a very huge app user, I do not play games on my phone (I have serious desktops/gaming laptops for that) so while there were some apps here and there that were not available, I have not had much trouble adjusting.

I suggest keeping an android device as an "app device" so that if you really need something, you can have it. Any cheap tablet without sim works, it's just apps afterall. It would help the transition. As Windows 10 seems a good OS, I am pretty sure universal apps will get more and more light so all the important apps will receive more attention in the upcoming months, whether in the form of better updates or new apps.

I honestly bought a tablet just for hearthstone on mobile. It's not really fun on a 5'' slate anyway, so I went big for that, and as of today I only use it for Spotify on my car and Hearthstone. Spotify is available on WP but I'm not wasting my space there yet.

I would not trade my 950 XL for any other smartphone. It's not a matter of being able to afford it, for me, I just like it better than others, be it Android or iOS.

But my use-case may be different from yours, so I cannot guarantee you will have the same experience as me.
    12-10-2015 05:26 AM
    Having used WP for many years (Samsung focus, lumia 920, lumia 1020) but switched over to Android in mod 2014, if you're eager to give WP a shot I would highly suggest picking up a 550 or 640 model to test run. I loved WP7/8, 8.1 was a turning point I started to dislike the way things were going and I haven't actually used WP10. It's definitely an interesting OS with the cool start screen but you may think you can live without things from Android, when in actuality you can't. Just an FYI.

I still go to this forum to stay in touch and maybe one day return to WP... I get the whole idea of getting bored with the same OS, I swapped often for a few years before sticking to Android for the last year and half.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    12-10-2015 06:02 AM
    Do yourself a favor and try it on a lower cost Windows 10 phone like the 550 or even the $20-40 Lumia 640.
    If you like the experience return the 550/640 whatever within 30 days and go get a 950/950xl.
    It's hard to make an informed decision unless you actually experience it for yourself.
    But in my opinion, $650 is too much to pay for a phone you don't know if you'll even like.
    That is exactly what I did. I bought a Lumia 640 XL, it should arrive tomorrow and I will test it out on that phone.
    12-10-2015 07:40 AM
    I am not a very huge app user, I do not play games on my phone (I have serious desktops/gaming laptops for that) so while there were some apps here and there that were not available, I have not had much trouble adjusting.
    Yeah I have been researching around the forums to find alternatives to the apps I already use. I seem to have found some for most of the apps I use on Android.

I suggest keeping an android device as an "app device" so that if you really need something
    I will still have my Nexus 6P as a back up and I have my Galaxy Tab S2 that I use everyday for the majority of my apps.

I would not trade my 950 XL for any other smartphone. It's not a matter of being able to afford it, for me, I just like it better than others, be it Android or iOS.
    I think the phone looks great, if I like the experience I have with the 640 XL I ordered. I may order a 950 XL sometime next year or maybe something newer will come out in the time that I am testing.
    12-10-2015 07:45 AM
    would highly suggest picking up a 550 or 640 model to test run
    My 640 XL should arrive tomorrow and that will be my testing phone. It doesn't have the greatest specs but I think it has good specs for the money I spend. Watching reviews out there on the phone, people refer to it as a "budget" phone. I think it is a little more than that, maybe a mid range phone. The specs aren't that bad on it IMO.
    chezm likes this.
    12-10-2015 07:48 AM
    My 640 XL should arrive tomorrow and that will be my testing phone. It doesn't have the greatest specs but I think it has good specs for the money I spend. Watching reviews out there on the phone, people refer to it as a "budget" phone. I think it is a little more than that, maybe a mid range phone. The specs aren't that bad on it IMO.
    With WP it will be suffice to give you the experience, good luck let us know what you think.

12-10-2015 09:29 AM
    With WP it will be suffice to give you the experience, good luck let us know what you think.

I will, I will probably write something up after a couple or few weeks of using it. Give my impressions and what not. I already know the app selection is not huge so I won't harp on that. Probably write about productivity and usability compared to my Android phones.
    libra89 and chezm like this.
    12-10-2015 09:45 AM
    Long time android user, last was a Note 4. Picked up a 950 two weeks ago and have loved it. Haven't had any problem finding apps for everything I do and I haven't even thought once about going back. Probably the biggest draw is its pure simplicity, everything just works. I guess it helps too when you use everything in one eco system (Using Surface Pro 3 and just got a Band 2).
    12-10-2015 10:14 AM
    I think most of the apps I use have web versions so I can just use them in a browser. Not a huge deal.
    yes and you can pin web sites to start menu
    12-10-2015 10:35 AM
173 12345 ...