Microsoft store rejecting reviews

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I submitted my review what feels like a few weeks ago and I finally got a rejection email. The device has over 4 stars on the website which I find very hard to believe. I think they are turning down low star reviews.

Here is the review that got returned in a rejection email from the MS store. I don't remember the rating I gave it, but here is the text. It lost it's formatting.

"I bought 2 of these, one for myself and one for my wife. I had issues with the MS store not being able to change the shipping address when I realized I wasn't going to be around and they wouldn't even offer to comp me the shipping cost. Their only option was to cancel the order and re-order which would have meant I wouldn't be getting my phones. In hindsight that may have been a good thing.I ordered a single sim phone, but got duals. At first I thought this was a good thing. Turns out it's not. I lost visual voice mail and I'm stuck seeing choices for sim 1 or sim 2 even though there is only 1 sim. I hope MS fixes this through software, but I'm not holding out for it. MS doesn't care about it's fans.The real fun started right after turning them on. These should not have shipped with windows 10, it's not ready, period. My wife and I spent a day in Disney world's magic kingdom and we couldn't even make it half a day of usage. Little web browsing and a camera usage. Camera quality isn't much improved from my 930 and 1520. Low light capabilities is poor. A real camera flash is needed, not the gimmicky multi colored LED. Daylight photos are fairly nice, but I feel they are still a little noisy when zooming in.I knew there was an update that might solve some of the battery issues, but I COUDLN'T get it. Once MS did resolve that issue, which happened on the day I was in the magic kingdom, battery life got better. It's better but it's still horrible.Screen brightness is a disaster. Windows hello is a disaster. Windows mobile 10 is very beta at best.I'm a windows fan, I've had a windows phone since the trophy came out on Verizon. Followed by a multiple 920s in the family. I have an 820, 930, 1520, 520 and now the 2 950xl. I want this platform to succeed, I really do, but MS needs to help people like me continue to be an evangelist for the platform. Right now I am not.Hardware wise, I think the phone is okay. I like that I can put new backs on it. Although MOZO has yet to ship my product. I hope MS can fix this phone, right now it's an expensive lackluster device."

I really do want to like this device, but every day I notice how far backwards we went with windows 10.

WoodyPWX

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I wrote two mostly positive reviews for Lumia 950xl. One dual sim and one single sim, bought on MS store Czech and Germany. There were some mentioned problems for both of them. MS replayed and was very thank full, but both of them were rejected.

Last edited:

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Maybe because you're rating it on old software and firmware. A lot of issues are fixed now.

I still can't get the latest firmware even with the recovery tool so I can't speak to the firmware fixing issues. The OS updates have helped slightly, but they don't fix things completely. The camera comments still stand and can't be fixed. I'm not impressed with the flash of this device. The dual SIM switch when it was marked as single sim originally can only be fixed by replacing it or they need to allow the software to treat the device as single SIM. I'd be completely happy with a software solution.

My comment about windows 10 not being ready. That stands 100% to this day. I have my 1520 and 930 boxed up and ready to sell, but I am tempted to use them as my daily drivers again with 8.1. Between my wife and I, we are rebooting these things far too much.

This will be a flagship when the OS works.

I don't want to turn this into what works and what doesn't because that wasn't the intent. I just find it fishy that soo many positive reviews exist for the device. I'm not sure what guidelines they are talking about not meeting. When you go to post there aren't any guidelines and the terms and conditions are generic. I'm done with the online store, from now on, I'll stick to amazon or drive to the store.

iPone

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
That's why ratings on 3rd party websites like Amazon are more reliable than ones that get vetted by the manufacturer.

npoe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That's why ratings on 3rd party websites like Amazon are more reliable than ones that get vetted by the manufacturer.
I don't know about the their criteria to reject reviews but there are very nasty reviews at Microsoft Store. I usually read the reviews instead of going by the rating if I'm not convinced about the product; some people give 1 star rating if UPS breaks something or if they didn't like circles in the People Tile photos.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's possible that the review was rejected for not being specific enough about the product being reviewed.

* The review starts with feedback on the buying experience (MS Store)
* General comments regarding Windows 10 Mobile
* Contains what appears to be a life history of mobile phones.

It's possible that mention of Disney might put the spanner in the works.

Ideally, product reviews should be about the product itself.

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I thought about all of that Pete, but with no guidelines it's all just guesses.

General comments about windows 10 applies IMO.
My history with mobile applies IMO
Buying experience is certainly applicable

Disney, i can understand, but I'm reaching to get to an understanding.

They are not clear at all. Unless you want boring reviews, i'm not sure what the rules are. I still find it VERY strange how positive the reviews are because many people don't often take the time to praise something, but they will take the time to complain. Just like these forums.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There's nothing to prevent you from attempting again. You can probably imagine that there's more than a few "reviews" that are submitted that are nothing more than walls of rantings. There's quite a few negative reviews for the 950XL (at least on my regional MS Store page), but they're fairly tightly linked to the product.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I had a positive review rejected... No reason given. Happened a few times on another site..

Pissed me off cause I tried to wrote Ana actual review od the product...ao many reviews out there are good or bad based nothing on the product,but more if the sun was shinning hat day or they stepped in gum leaving the store.

As we know, even the Professional media sucks at being objective to review just the device ans not have a personal vendetta..

It happens... Maybe your review was too long or touched a subject the algorithm rejected or flagged foe review. Most reject links and the such,so the provide options of you want to add a video or media... The ms store does not do that though.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I still can't get the latest firmware even with the recovery tool so I can't speak to the firmware fixing issues. The OS updates have helped slightly, but they don't fix things completely. The camera comments still stand and can't be fixed. I'm not impressed with the flash of this device. The dual SIM switch when it was marked as single sim originally can only be fixed by replacing it or they need to allow the software to treat the device as single SIM. I'd be completely happy with a software solution.

My comment about windows 10 not being ready. That stands 100% to this day. I have my 1520 and 930 boxed up and ready to sell, but I am tempted to use them as my daily drivers again with 8.1. Between my wife and I, we are rebooting these things far too much.

This will be a flagship when the OS works.

I don't want to turn this into what works and what doesn't because that wasn't the intent. I just find it fishy that soo many positive reviews exist for the device. I'm not sure what guidelines they are talking about not meeting. When you go to post there aren't any guidelines and the terms and conditions are generic. I'm done with the online store, from now on, I'll stick to amazon or drive to the store.

I can vouch for the camera approval myself. The pics were bad previously. Now my friend who has an iphone 6s bought a car and wanted me to take pics using my camera and send them to her. They really turn out amazing now. The flash works great, I never get red eye and it looks more warm rather than a white ghost. And the ability to adjust the flash effect after pic is taken is really cool.

Anyways. I think it's ready in terms of bugs and what not at least for 950xl on latest firmware. But of course UI and other things still need some improvements. Adding features as well which will be a big part of redstone. But again everyone has different experiences and while you may not think it's ready. I think it's good to go. The ultimate test would be upgrading from 8.1 GDR2 to windows 10 through your carrier. That way you don't have any remnants of any none-final builds sitting in your backup or current insider installation.

anon(2523636)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Well, apart from the fact there are services you can buy that will add positive reviews to your product and negative ones to your competitors....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes