Problem with 4k videos

redserpent7

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I have a playback with 4k videos taken by the phone camera. They shoot fine but playback stutters and freeze on the phone. Haven't tried playing them on other devices as I don't have any 4k doesn't device ATM.

It's this a known issue? I also noticed that 1080 and 720 videos always freeze at the 3-4 seconds mark for approximately 1 second but continue to play fine after that.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
have you tried rebooting AND making sure there are no other apps in the background? The task switcher doesn't see all apps. so after you close all apps via task switcher, tap the back button to make sure nothing else is open. then try

redserpent7

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
have you tried rebooting AND making sure there are no other apps in the background? The task switcher doesn't see all apps. so after you close all apps via task switcher, tap the back button to make sure nothing else is open. then try

Rebooted the phone, made sure nothing was ruining and still facing the same thing. Video skipping when played

redserpent7

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
saved on phone or SD card? what class is the SD card? New or old card?
completely forgot about the SD card. It was indeed the problem. Switched to save on device and video play flawlessly.

SD card is a SanDisk Ultra SDXC UHS-l... Seems I need a replacement. Any suggestions?

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
a class 10, UHS-1 card should be fine. you don't need 90+Mbps speeds or anything insane. my card is rated around 40Mbps and plays 4k video fine (GB samsung microsd)

redserpent7

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
a class 10, UHS-1 card should be fine. you don't need 90+Mbps speeds or anything insane. my card is rated around 40Mbps and plays 4k video fine (GB samsung microsd)

It is a class 10 card and the problem was with the recording not the playback. I moved some of the videos I recorded from the card to phone storage and they still have the skipping issue

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
well age does play a role (i have 1 of the 1st class 10 16GB cards) and even my dslr doesn't like it.

also, authenticity of the card is a huge factor. I know quite a few people who bought cards and noticed poor performance only to find out the cards were fake.

This is my card

SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter, Grey/Red, Standard Packaging (SDSQUNC-064G-GN6MA) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010Q588D...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3374654

I also have one of those cards.... but not in my 950. I haven't had an issue with it, but there are 2 revisions if i remember correctly.

redserpent7

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
well age does play a role (i have 1 of the 1st class 10 16GB cards) and even my dslr doesn't like it.

also, authenticity of the card is a huge factor. I know quite a few people who bought cards and noticed poor performance only to find out the cards were fake.

Seems I need to spend time researching... Thanks though

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
This is my card

SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter, Grey/Red, Standard Packaging (SDSQUNC-064G-GN6MA) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010Q588D...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3375649

Ultra is not good enough.. I bought an 128 Ultra... It READS at 90 but writes tops at 15, and normally a lot less. This is not good enough. I put it in my SP3 instead lol.

I've just picked up an extreme pro 95 read 90 write :) no problem with 4k, infact, there's a 4K certified thingy on it :D

snoopy1492

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure we need to buy such High end micro-sd card as I've not been able to obtain higher write speeds than 13MB/s on the sd card with a 950XL... All that with both a Samsung Pro and a Sandisk Extreme (both 64GB and UHS-3) that can handle 45MB+/s write speed with a usb 3.0 Card reader.
So a card with a write speed around 15MB/s should be enough for the phone and for 4K (Higher speed can still be interesting if you use a sd-card reader).
Either that or my unit is faulty :unhappy:

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I like to overkill and future proof myself. Very happy about the life of my previous sandisk products so don't mind buying something that will will be good for a long time rather than replacing often.

I also read somewhere that the sd slot on the 950xl is UHS-1, so in theory good to like 104mb/s....

For the ultra 15mb/s is peak rate, not sustained.... it's more like 5-8 sustained from what I observed when I tried copying a big file onto it. Can get to 11,15........... but really all over the place though.

snoopy1492

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
Yes I also read that somewhere (UHS-1 sd slot on the 950XL).
The thing is, as far as I can test it, I haven't found the sd slot on the 950XL to be able to handle write speed higher than 13MB/s which is quite far from the UHS-1 bus speed :unhappy:

So for those on a budget, they can get the max out of their 950XL with a good enough card without going all in with a Sandisk Extreme pro or Samsung Pro + :wink:

As for I, I'm happy with my high end micro sd cards, even if I'd like my 950XL to use them to their maximum.

Who knows, maybe an update will improve the transfer speeds! :grin:

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes I also read that somewhere (UHS-1 sd slot on the 950XL).
The thing is, as far as I can test it, I haven't found the sd slot on the 950XL to be able to handle write speed higher than 13MB/s which is quite far from the UHS-1 bus speed :unhappy:

So far I tested 15.63 MB/s :)

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I shot some video today, and for the life of me, I too, could not get it to stop stuttering (and lighting, faded in and out). It has NOT done this too much before, but today was terrible, it's cold today and I was outside...I don't know if the cold was why it was acting so damn finicky, or what? ALSO, I have a: SanDisk 200GB Ultra UHS-I SDXC Memory Card (Class 10) UHS-I installed.

Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated. :amaze:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes