lumia 1520 Denim 4K video recording issues

xerox13ster

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I flashed my 1520 with Finland's firmware, and updated to Lumia Denim.

I love the hell out of Hey Cortana, but I have been having issues with recording 4K video. Whenever I record a video and it is more than 30s in length, on playback it stutters and skips like a satellite TV losing signal. I have tried lowering FPS and I have tried 1440p, and it still stutters. 1080p runs like a champ.

I have noticed when re-watching the videos that the stutter happens when there is a change in lighting and the camera goes to autofocus. I have searched for a setting and cannot find one to turn that off.

Anyone else having/noticed these issues either on a flashed phone or a true Finnish 1520?

Also, on mobile, will post vid sample if I ever get a chance to sit at a PC.

Satish Kumar14

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I somehow have a weird issues with my 4k recording on Lumia 1520.. Am not able to record 4k video more than 7 mins... Phone is over heated and camera closes automatically.. Am not using any SD card.. 1080p recording is good as usual... Can some help me with this...

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Are you using a slow SD card?

I have been recording and playing back 4k video + high quality audio on a fast SD card (Samsung Pro 90/80MB/s 64GB) without any issue.

I have recorded and played back many short shots, up to 5 minutes, without any issue. I've flashed to official Denim though.

The only issue is the huge size of video files. I tried to upload a 3:15:00 video to my Flicker, but it sys the file is overs-sized for my account. It's a whopping 1.35 GB.

Sam_oslo

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I somehow have a weird issues with my 4k recording on Lumia 1520.. Am not able to record 4k video more than 7 mins... Phone is over heated and camera closes automatically.. Am not using any SD card.. 1080p recording is good as usual... Can some help me with this...

I haven't had any overheating issue yet. But I have only tried outdoor recording and it's still cold here (there is still snow on the ground) and I haven't recorded over 5 minutes yet.

Remove the case if you are using one, because the heat disposes trough the backside of the phone. Airflow on the backside can help a good deal.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting good picture and sound quality using SD. I haven't recorded anything as long as the OP mentioned but didn't notice any heating issues. The only problem I have is there is no zoom while recording with 4k on my 1520.3

manomic

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a PNY 128 GB card.. I can record and view 4k videos without an issue. It reads at about 60MB/s and writes about 20 MB/s in my comp.. I can say that it takes a couple of seconds extra to save but no stutter within the Lumia Camera app.
However the 4k videos stutter in the Xbox Video and Photos app, not too much but its there(even when the video is in the phone memory). Moliplayer plays the videos smoothly.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site

That's pretty normal. 4K recording is very taxing on the CPU. It really depends on the temperature outside. My S5 did the same when it was warmer and both Samsung and MS have indicated that 4K length is dependent on temperature.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
You need an exteremely fast card. I bought this after Denim landed:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3017335

Works great with 4k video. So, Denim isn't really free if you want 4k video. You need to buy a card with very fast WRITE speeds. Don't be fooled by read speeds. They are all fast, in general. Write is where cards fall apart fast.

Gotta pay to play I guess.

really pay! how about a 250MB/s write speed? What max write speed can the lumia utilize by the way?
http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Secur...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3017335

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
I recorded about six 5 minute live performances last night. But I had to record to the phones memory of which I have 32gig.
That's why phone makers are getting rid of sd cards for the much more robust on board memory.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb