Not happy with Gorilla glass 4 (Too brittle)

iampwd

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

So no liquid in the liquid cooling. That's one way to do it I guess. I might have to stop brag about that. ☺

Maybe that powder turns to liquid when heated?

Sent from mTalk

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
No... He's just not very knowledgeable.

The cooling has small "spores" filled with a liquid that moves heat more efficiently than water or a solid heat sink. He just Thinks that liquid cooling is a heat pipe filled with water, but that wouldn't be as good as the current solution in this size since the coolant wouldn't have hardly anywhere to go.

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Too brittle? You have data from technical or scientific tests to back that up?

I've dropped my 950 XL several times from a meter or so, and had no issues. it all depends which way it lands. Gorilla glass is great for scratch resistance, but if you drop your phone and it lands the wrong way, nothing will prevent cracking.

It's simple. It's harder to prevent scratching. Things need to have flexibility to not crack or shatter. My science is in my experience :) If you want to lend me yours, I'll start my paper with repeatable tests to prove it. Btw, you pretty much repeated what I said, I know if it lands the wrong way nothing will prevent it, but in 2015 (when this phone released), a 1.5 foot fall shouldn't be the end. We as consumers need to ask for more.

I would be fine having a slightly thicker more durable glass even if it meant my finger might appear to have to float ever so slightly.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's simple. It's harder to prevent scratching. Things need to have flexibility to not crack or shatter. My science is in my experience :) If you want to lend me yours, I'll start my paper with repeatable tests to prove it. Btw, you pretty much repeated what I said, I know if it lands the wrong way nothing will prevent it, but in 2015 (when this phone released), a 1.5 foot fall shouldn't be the end. We as consumers need to ask for more.

I would be fine having a slightly thicker more durable glass even if it meant my finger might appear to have to float ever so slightly.

I hear where you are coming from. But my theory is that most "flagship" purchasers and reviewers would likely puke all over the compromise that would need to be made to toughen that glass up. I have no proof, but I do think there are cheaper phones that are far more screen-durable. (My example was the 640) I'm not sure exactly what it is scientifically that makes that screen so "less brittle", if you will, but it just seems to be. They just don't break easily. (Ironically, if they did, it is cheaper to buy another $50 640 than to repair it) However, if the 950, or any flagship, had that same "less appealing" visually screen of the 640, Microsoft (and Samsung and Apple) would get roasted.

These modern flagships seem to press the visual appeal on the screen to extremes. Ultra clear and vibrant, they ALL are. I suppose that we choose that appeal over toughness, even though we wish it weren't so.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I have a couple dings/nicks in my corners of glass where there was impact... nothing further damage, very localized... I'm ok with it!

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Snakebitten,
I read were another very qualified poster (IMHO) said that the G4 glass was supposed to have more flex associated with it, and after reading it I felt a ?little? less concerned that if I accidently left my phone in my back pocket and sat down, I wouldn?t crack my screen. Keep in mind, I DO NOT know if this is a fact, but I do trust the poster?s sincerity. But, I am also not going to ?intentionally? put it to a test.

Well, I admittedly carry my 950XL (and my 1520 many times) in my left back pocket. But the Jack Spade cover is rather stiff and big and probably would add considerable rigidity if I sat on it. My 1520's, that I brag about being so pristine, are undamaged because they have spent 2+ years in really unsexy-ugly folio cases. So they too had serious protection from drops and oops-I-sat-on-it incidents.

I guess I just revealed that I'm not very fashion conscious. :)

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

The cooling has small "spores" filled with a liquid that moves heat more efficiently than water or a solid heat sink. He just Thinks that liquid cooling is a heat pipe filled with water, but that wouldn't be as good as the current solution in this size since the coolant wouldn't have hardly anywhere to go.

My guess would have been a liquid that's a gas at normal pressure, but a liquid at higher pressures, but it sounds like you know more about this. But ya, liquid cooled doesn't have to mean a pipe with water, which as you say wouldn't work well.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

Yah the old professional tear down already proved it's a heat pipe with liquid drops in the capillaries. This is still liquid cooling regardless of what people associate liquid cooling with. Non-techies shouldn't make bad assumptions.

TO op: How did it break? You have a pic? Mine took a massive beating due to my negligence when I dropped a heavy disk array on it and not a scratch.

Though with the mozo case the grip is much stronger and doesn't slip as much as the MS one. I think the buttons help too as they require a bit more force to depress so your hand will have the extra grip as the buttons won't let your hand slide down. The MS one the buttons are a bit weak so your hand could still slip over them as they depressed downwards.

captblaze

Jul 31, 2007
Visit site
I don't know if any of you are young enough to remember when Corning made a product named Corelle. It was their revolutionary product from the 70's. Shatter proof dishware is what it was, and it was far from shatterproof. it would break like tempered glass into small irregular shaped chunks and embed into whatever was on the plate at a time.

so if anyone thinks glass is shatter proof, guess again... its crystalline structure is physically incapable of withstanding shock loads when the force is focused on a weak point in the crystalline structure.

I am by no means a chemical engineer, but a simple understanding what glass is, what it is made of and how its manufactured is enough knowledge to know that dropping an object made from glass onto a tile surface is probably gonna end up making you sad and costing you money

Last edited:

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
It is not the same a 720p screen than a 2K screen.

But that doesnt change the fact that the 640 doesnt break when dropped. I dropped my 640 XL so many times without a cover, only a screen protector. I wrote a post about it.

But i have noticed everyone is complaining about their 950 breaking. The glass around the edges is a bad design.

akjm

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
My daughter dropped and broke her 950's screen--upper corner on asphalt. She had a case and screen protector, but it impacted on the worst place. I was able to get a replacement screen on ebay for $118. Yes that is expensive, but it's cheaper than $550, and the phone was in working order, except for the screen. I was a bit difficult to get the old screen off, but it was worth it in the end.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I had looked at those screens. Are they good? Any issues with glance or anything?

Just hoping to know in case I come across a broken 950 some day.

Thanks much.

My daughter dropped and broke her 950's screen--upper corner on asphalt. She had a case and screen protector, but it impacted on the worst place. I was able to get a replacement screen on ebay for $118. Yes that is expensive, but it's cheaper than $550, and the phone was in working order, except for the screen. I was a bit difficult to get the old screen off, but it was worth it in the end.

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Good God...I've dropped my Lumia 920 face down on a hard tile floor TWICE without a case (from about 5 feet, I'm pretty tall). The screen has never cracked. I was freaking out at first, because the phone didn't turn on for 5 minutes. But it finally turned on and works fine. I can't believe one drop from 1.5 feet cracked your screen.

lankylars

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I may be switching the two around, but isn't Gorilla Glass 3 slightly better at resisting scratches whereas GG4 has more flex to better resist shattering (reducing it's hardness and thus scratch resistance).

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Wow this thread blew up. I'm not even going to read the last bit. Here's my thoughts:
Gorilla Glass 4 is more resistant to drops than any other iteration of Gorilla Glass before it, and it's stronger than the "Ion Glass" that Apple uses in their iPhones. However, it's still glass. In the right conditions, it will crack. That's just how it is. If you want a shatterproof screen, buy the Moto X Force, but you're sacrificing overall screen quality and vividness for durability. Gorilla Glass 4 is great for scratch resistance, but sometimes you have to sacrifice some things to get that hardness.

nomadph

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
Based on the videos I saw about the G4 glass I was convinced that the glass was resilient enough to scratches. I was completely wrong. I have a lot of hair line scratches in the glass due to placing it on a table. The reason I let it rest on the phone face is because I didn't want to damage the rear camera. So damn annoying since there aren't any proper screen protectors and back cover options here.

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Based on the videos I saw about the G4 glass I was convinced that the glass was resilient enough to scratches. I was completely wrong. I have a lot of hair line scratches in the glass due to placing it on a table. The reason I let it rest on the phone face is because I didn't want to damage the rear camera. So damn annoying since there aren't any proper screen protectors and back cover options here.

You cant even find a cheap silicone case for $10??? That's on you buddy.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Get a microfiber cloth and clean. Sometimes it may look like scratches bbut it's dirty. I put use to put mine down screen first and have no issues. Though now I place it on the camera side as the mozo case has a ring protecting the camera. But I keep mine clean with a microfiber cloth and wipe it down quite often.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2