Lumia 950XL Front Facing Camera Quality - is yours terrible?

Andreas Lagos

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
i'm running the latest firmware and OS version for non-insiders in the US (T-Mobile). pretty much since day one I've felt that the ffc quality was very poor (grainy, grey, lack of detail). was curious if anyone else is experiencing this.. if it's software related or if the 5mp front facer is really just that ****ty.

Vladimir Ka

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
Bad lighting or are you using Skype? My Skype video quality is not as good as photos for some reason. Maybe it downgrades the quality if network is slow? (Funny enough, I've only Skyped from the basement)

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
According to my friends wife that has an iPhone 5s the camera is too good on this phone, picture shows to much detail. ;-)

Drake lagos

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
I guess I can't post pictures from within the app yet. Thanks for the reply tho. Here's a sample of FFC vs Rear cam in the same lighting.. notice the color and detail level difference. my brother has a 950xl too with the same issue so I doubt theyre both defective

Attachments

• WP_20160223_23_03_34_Pro_LI.jpg
    WP_20160223_23_03_34_Pro_LI.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 10

luisem1789

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
the quality is so bad in low light conditions on my 950xl, but in normal ilumination light is good, i can see a lot of noise in low light ambient, here is a sample:

wp_ss_20160222_0005.jpg

Andreas Lagos

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Was not expecting the same picture. I was expecting similar color reproduction and that's not the case. Thanks for your screenshot above. That corroborates what I'm getting. That could be an iso improvement in the next update.

ericmackrodt

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Nah, sorry, the front facing camera on the 950xl is VERY disappointing. It's so disappointing that I use the rear facing camera blindly to take self portraits. After buying the phone I was testing it hoping it was going to be a solid self portrait camera but, I hate to say, compared to a friend's iPhone 6 in the same light conditions, the Lumia's ffc is pretty bad. And it hurts a lot, in the state Windows Phone is at the moment, the hardware should be top notch in all aspects.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
My front camera is really good for regular shots like selfies. Typically you won't be taking them in low light though. You can't compare it to the rear one. iphone posts a white image before taking shot to get extra light from the lcd. Here's the thing. You touch the glass a lot and may smear it and leave fingerprints and other stuff. You need to get a micro cloth and clean it often. This also helps with Iris scanning if you keep it clean.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes