Got my X3 Today, shipping back tomorrow - Why YOU should stick to your 950 (XL)

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Just got the HP x3 Elite and its sitting right next to my 950 XL. I was amused by the packaging but not in the least troubled. We are not likely to be looking at a forest-eating volume of sales. The packaging did highlight the dock feature. The OP does raise a debatable issue -- whether the x3 is a significant enough upgrade over the 950XL to justify the cost. I wondered about it given DR's and Zac's initial impressions that there seemed to be only very slight performance improvements with x3 over the 950XL. And the camera issues.

I'm taking my time setting up the x3 but FWIW my first impressions have been favorable. I definitely noticed a significant improvement in the speed of app launching, scrolling (which was also significantly smoother with x3). I guess the recent updates have lengthened the x3's lead in these departments (which DR also indicated in follow up posts). And right out of the box the x3 had the feel of a much higher quality device than the 950XL which continues to feel "plasticky" and cheap to me. The x3 felt heavier and perhaps a little slick in the hands. I haven't even swapped out the sim and microsd cards yet, so we will see. My other initial impression is the x3 has tolerated the latest Fast Ring Insider Build very well. The x3 display seems noticeably larger and brighter.

IM4CHRST

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I love BlackBerry's BB10 most, but sadly it's on its death bed, so instead of moaning, I move on. I love the windows's live tile system.

I agree completely here. Any time I get into a conversation about mobile OSs I always make sure to say how BB10 is literally the best OS on a phone today. There is absolutely no competitor that even comes close. Blackberry couldn't even get Android to function in a similar enough way to keep the Priv the hands of BB10 users. If Blackberry came out with a new phone running BB10, I would be all over it before getting a windows phone and I have loved WP since I loaded it onto my HD2. I am seriously torn right now on wanting the HP for all that is great about it, especially the IP67 rating and big battery; and the 950XL. Camera has always been the number one factor in choosing a phone for me and that is why I'm leaning toward the XL, unless this Surface event on the 26th churns out a Surface Phone.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
IM4CH said:
unless this Surface event on the 26th churns out a Surface Phone.
Don't hold your breath. With the AU, this phone has become my daily driver. Unlike the 950xl, the power button is in the right spot. Also, a 6" phone is the perfect size. Pulled out my Galaxy S6 yesterday and immediately hated it because of the size.

Sent from mTalk

karlo88

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I got the X3 when it was released at Microsoft Store, so fixes for camera and other earlier glitches have been dealt with. Prior to that, I tried the 950XL for a couple of weeks. My phone for the last two years is a Lumia 1020. My previous phone was a Sony Android. My wife and kids use iPhone 6 Plus, 6S, and 5, which I have played around with.

I like the build of the iPhones much better than any other phones. I like their cameras and photo apps better than the 1020's. But, I like Windows Mobile much better than Android and iOS; but then, I preferred HP's reverse polish notation calculators. So, for me, it came down to which Windows Phone I liked better, the 950XL or the X3.

The X3 is far better. Much, much longer battery life. Bigger screen. Faster Iris recognition. Faster in general (snappier?). It stays cooler than the 950XL. As for camera, I take photos for memories, not art, so the X3's camera is more than enough, for me, great. I do sorely miss the Lumias' hard shutter button and the ability to turn on the camera by just holding down the shutter button.

Definitely get the X3 over the 950XL, unless you need or want a smaller phone.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I have to now give an unqualified recommendation to NOT switch to an X3.

The problem encountered just this morning is described here:
Problem with OneDrive on X3 - HP Support Forum - 5811176

The raison d'?tre for my considering the X3 is productivity. I don't have time to deal with glitches like this. Geez, I have business related files on OneDrive! I'm going back to a 950XL

This is more an issue with OneDrive than the x3; in what world would the x3's hardware prevent specific OneDrive folders/files to show in the OneDrive app? There's no connection and moreover I doubt an ability to repeat (I have two Elite x3's both show OneDrive folders/files fine; haven't heard of similar complaints).

karlo88

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
You're right. It may not be the hardware. But, to me, what matter if it's the software? I'm just so pleased that the OneDrive files aren't wiped and are accessible from my 1020. I'll go back and try the 950XL. If no problem, I'll settle for that, cuz despite all that I like about the X3, I can't afford to have this type of problem. Perhaps I'll look at the X3 again after it's more mature, as the 950XL is.

To put things in context, I was willing to live with the problem I described here,

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mobiledevices/forum/mdwindows-mdw10phone/chopped-of-words-in-elite-x3/9e6c7d90-8445-468e-8aff-86f72a7eb2ea

That doesn't affect my productivity.

Last edited:

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
You're right. It may not be the hardware. But, to me, what matter if it's the software?

Well, it matters because there are no smartphones or computers without bugs, quirks, or even temporary oddities. Did you try to sign out of the OneDrive app and re-sign in?

I just find it odd you would set the bar so high "But, to me, what matter if it's the software?" and yet you're going back to the 950 XL, where you don't have a single quirk, bug, or issue? I guess it's possible, I just don't know anyone that has a 950 XL without at least one nagging thing.

You're posting here (welcome!), but didn't try to troubleshoot it for very long it seems. Obviously, use what you feel comfortable with, it just seems like an a odd thing to return a phone over.

karlo88

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I know what you mean. But, when you're in a meeting with a lawyer you're paying $600/hr for and can't pull up a document he ought to see, it's an issue.

karlo88

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Daniel, regarding signing out, I don't see a way to sign out of the OneDrive app from inside the app. I can't even uninstall it. I can't even see how to sign out of my Microsoft account on the phone. Clicking it in account's just takes me to my account through Edge browser.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Daniel, regarding signing out, I don't see a way to sign out of the OneDrive app from inside the app. I can't even uninstall it. I can't even see how to sign out of my Microsoft account on the phone. Clicking it in account's just takes me to my account through Edge browser.

Open OneDrive app > Hamburger Menu > (Tap) Account Settings > (Tap) Your account > (Tap) Sign out

Close the app, restart device, open OneDrive and Sign in again. Could help.

karlo88

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Open OneDrive app > Hamburger Menu > (Tap) Account Settings > (Tap) Your account > (Tap) Sign out

Close the app, restart device, open OneDrive and Sign in again. Could help.

Yes, thank you, that did it. The folders are now viewable. The pdf file is opened by Edge. Opening with Acrobat Reader, it opens, but "A system error was encountered" statement appears as one pages through each page document.

It appears the problem has something to do with Acrobat Reader and OneDrive interaction. Nevertheless, these are apps preinstalled, so they should work. I'm still leaning towards going back to a 950 XL, going with a general consumer device, and getting a better camera, getting a shutter button that can also turn on the camera, more like my 1020. Right, what's the point going to an X3 for the business benefits if it's not business-ready? And, for the corporate IT folks, when they start getting complaints from their folks in the field, wow, s__t hitting the fan.

Last edited:

karlo88

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Wow, the Elite X3, and perhaps any phone running Windows 10, is truly not business-ready. I just tried opening a 50mb .pptx Powerpoint file residing on the now-functioning OneDrive app, thanks to Daniel, and the file will not open. It keeps downloading and downloading and downloading until it gives up. No problem opening the same file using my Lumia 1020 though. The X3 opens a 550kb .pptx file, but so does the 1020. At this point, I don't think the X3 is prosumer-ready, much less business-ready.

The Windows 10 Mobile build in all previous posts I've made here is 10.0.14393.321

Last edited:

dabug911

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
Just with my few day using the x3 I must say I'm in love with it. Have had no issues with the finger print reader. The iris scan is fast, and I mean i was really worried it would be useful but it works in almost every occasion.

Camera seems fine, its not spectacular like the 950, but I purchased it expecting that,

A big lower price would have been nice but with the dock and adapters I guess that helps justify some of the price. As well with the crazy amazing specs I am hoping phone will be future proof for a little while and be able to support other features they added.

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
It has been 3 months since I wrote that review. I must say, that re-reading it, it was half-assed and just a terrible review. I apologize for not taking more time to proof read and focusing on silly things such as the box (although I still think it was unnecessarily big). I never expected to get 14k + views and had I known it would draw that sort of attention, I would certainly have spent much more time and been much more careful about criticizing before being completely informed by using it longer...

I am about to re-order another unit at the $599 price and will give it a full month before making my mind up again.

All those who were rightfully mad at my review, I apologize for my silly shoot from the hip mish mash and I will certainly give it a fair amount of time this time around before I write anything about the phone again :)

longcipher

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Don't beat yourself up, Marcin. This is a phone we're talking about, after all. With that being said, I am curious as to how you'll get on with the new x3. I played with the x3 in an MS Store and loved how it felt compared to me 950XL. I'll wait to read your new review before making a purchase decision.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon