Mozo and tempered glass

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
So I am considering having no case. Just using the stock back or a Mozo back + a tempered glass protector. Is that satisfactory to protect against drops?

BustyBloke

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
I am using my 950XL with just a Mozo back and a tempered glass screen protector. I am paranoid about my gear, so there is not a scratch on the phone, the Mozo or the screen protector. Then again, I don't have a scratch on my naked 920 from way back when either.

To answer your question though, the Mozo + tempered glass solution will not offer you complete protection in the event of a drop. This is because of the black plastic rim around the glass on the phone itself. It is part of the screen assembly and forms the upper corners of the device (when facing up). This plastic rim is left completely exposed even with the Mozo + tempered glass combo equipped. So if you drop it on one of the corners with the plastic rim, it will be the phone itself absorbing the impact - not your sacrificial Mozo back cover or tempered glass protector.

If you do not drop your phone, however, I think the Mozo + tempered glass combo will offer very adequate protection for daily use. Of course, the Mozo has the benefit of being less slippery and easier to grip than the stock back cover due to the flat sides.

LarsCor

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Sorry man, couldn't resist :D I think BustyBloke describes it perfectly. Mozo cases won't absorb any impacts on the side of your phone (so in fact it'll depend on the drop, how will your phone land). Not sure how sturdy the new Microsoft phones are, havent dropped my 950 Xl yet, but I once threw my Lumia 925 across the pub and it survived without even a scratch. Nokia's were quite sturdy.

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I use the exact configuration that you are looking at and have dropped my phone probably 3 times from a height of 3' or less. Only thing that has happened is the Mozo case broke between the USB port and the front screen. Other than that, the phone has been unscathed.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I could never find a tempered glass screen protector that fit my 950XL correctly. There was always a bubble under the top edge.

I would suggest using a clear, protective case on the phone like the Ghostek cases on eBay and amazon and a tempered glass screen protector if you can find one that fits correctly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon