should I replace my 950 XL or wait for upcoming build ?

Shriniwas Shukla

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I am using 950 XL for the last one week now. I absolutely love this phone. Perfect screen size , perfect camera and many more perfect things at hardware part for me. I have not seen any random reboot, any app crashing or any native app related issues. but there are several issues that i am facing on battery drain and overheating part. Phone is getting warm while charging. Phone is getting warmer on wifi ( sometimes). Overheating while playing games like crossy road, overkill 3 and asphalt. Phone gets its normal temperature in no time when i close these games. I have heard / read somewhere that when the phone is new we should charge only when the battery is around 10 to 15 %. I did the same but still battery life is very bad. its draining 16-20 % per hour on wifi.

I have this option of replacement. so please suggest and share battery draining pattern on your 950 XL.

PS: I am on latest production build .318. and i have no intention to go for insider builds.

thanks
shrini

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I have some of the same issues but as I can make it through a full day 8hr and more on the battery even when it does drain at that rate I'm waiting for the next update. Overheating is the processor using too much energy. Mine does this when I'm just using the edge browser. Still not as bad as the Moto Atrix when it first came out. I'm hopeful Microsoft will have this fixed on the next update. The phone gets less hot when I connect continuum to the wireless display and stream Netflix for four hours. I'm pretty sure they'll have this minor issue with the processor using too much power figured out.

Shriniwas Shukla

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I have some of the same issues but as I can make it through a full day 8hr and more on the battery even when it does drain at that rate I'm waiting for the next update. Overheating is the processor using too much energy. Mine does this when I'm just using the edge browser. Still not as bad as the Moto Atrix when it first came out. I'm hopeful Microsoft will have this fixed on the next update. The phone gets less hot when I connect continuum to the wireless display and stream Netflix for four hours. I'm pretty sure they'll have this minor issue with the processor using too much power figured out.

yeah i forgot to mention edge browser. while browsing phones gets warm too.

Abhinav Mudaliar

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Hey Shriniwas....i have been using the Lumia 950xl since Feb and now on the build .318, i get decent battery backup of one full day, u could do the following things
auto brightness at 25%
facebook sync turn it off
outlook sync increase the interval
Though i dont play many games i have desktop for that, but yeah the heating issue is there..sometimes it heats up in no tym and sometimes it doesnt...but overall i get good battery backup

Shriniwas Shukla

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Hey Shriniwas....i have been using the Lumia 950xl since Feb and now on the build .318, i get decent battery backup of one full day, u could do the following things
auto brightness at 25%
facebook sync turn it off
outlook sync increase the interval
Though i dont play many games i have desktop for that, but yeah the heating issue is there..sometimes it heats up in no tym and sometimes it doesnt...but overall i get good battery backup

Hi Abhinav,

currently brightness is on 0 / automatic. FB sync off. outlook sync interval is increased.

hoping for a fix in next production build.

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Is that on standby or when you're using it? I find standby battery drainage on my 950XL dual-sim (on production build) is about 1-2% per hour, on average. In use, it uses much more of course, with that beautiful screen.

So, further to this, I just did a test here at work. Picked up my phone and spent exactly 10 minutes surfing Twitter. Screen at 50% default brightness with auto-brightness set to on. On LTE. Started at 69%, was at 66% after 10 minutes. That would equal 18% in one hour. And that's just using Twitter with its default dark theme.

Point is that you really have to draw a distinction, when talking battery usage, between standby usage (1-2% per hour for me) and screen-on usage.

I was actually all set to buy a Leagoo Shark 1 (in fact, I had pre-ordered it but cancelled the purchase when I bought my L1320 and then the 950XL) because of its 6300mah battery. (I was on Android before switching to Windows Phone with the L1320). The L1320 was the first smartphone I ever had (including BlackBerry and Android) that did not use a lot of battery power in screen-on usage.

Abhinav Mudaliar

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Shriniwas the heating problem is surely there in the phone.....it heats up but due to the heat sink cools down soon enough...lets hope the heating issue is taken care of in the next build....

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi Abhinav,

currently brightness is on 0 / automatic. FB sync off. outlook sync interval is increased.

hoping for a fix in next production build.

I'm sure you read my other post on what to do to get a better battery life. One other option is to do a hard reset with no restore from backup - you just add things back manually like photos, music, apps etc. That is the last solution to fix issues such as you have with such a high drain

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
W10M Edge browser gets nailed by every ad floating on the internet, its a wonder it doesn't stay warm. And with so many sites blocking ad blockers, I'm hoping someone drops an Edge/Firefox/Chrome add on that blocks those sites that block ad blockers from search results. Treat them like they never even existed. Then I'll selectively decide if they are worth whitelisting. See if they don't change their tune.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
My phone is dropping more battery these days but I'm on the latest build. The funny part is that it never gets warm unless I play Candy Crush Jelly. That's right, not even graphic intensive and it gets warm. Any other game including asphalt 8 it is fine. May get a little warmer on some games but not really noticeable.

I always suggest doing a factory reset and avoiding backup restore. Starting fresh and if problems persist after 24 hours then maybe get it replaced. Do the reset through the WDRT tool so that it updates firmware if there is a newer one available. Firmware updates are pretty important here. You should have firmware 16025. There's even a newer one but since it never went OTA I don't think it matters that much.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon